Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 street bob starts very hard

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012 | 03:03 PM
rebelranger
Advanced

DonN - I get that same issue. 75% it doesn't happen then out of the blue I'll get a grind. let off and hit the starter again and bam it's all good

Old 03-27-2012 | 07:40 PM
dbcoooper
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Psycho Steve
sounds like a shotgun going off. scared the hell out of a lady sitting on a bench beside me. any ideas?
lol lol

Old 04-02-2012 | 06:03 AM
8blkfxdb
Advanced

Straight out of the repair manual, but this doesn't mention "when hot":

Starts Hard

1. Spark plugs in bad condition or have improper gap or are
partially fouled.
2. Spark plug cables in bad condition.
3. Battery nearly discharged.
4. Loose wire connection at one of the battery terminals, coil
or ECM connector.
5. Water or dirt in fuel system.
6. Intake air leak.
7. Fuel tank vent hose and vapor valve plugged.
8. Engine lubricant too heavy (winter operation).

NOTE
For cold weather starts, always disengage clutch.
9. Ignition not functioning properly (possible sensor failure).
10. Faulty ignition coil.

11. Valves sticking.

Old 04-01-2013 | 02:44 PM
joelsuff
4th Gear

I have a 2008 CVO Road King with the same problem, starts hard when hot and sometimes sounds like metal on metal and grinding. I was told that it was electrical, checked connections, and even went ahead and replaced the battery as mine was at the 5 year mark. The problem has been getting worse, and sometimes takes a few minutes to get it to fire up. I also get a cough and plume of smoke out my air intake (recently installed heavy breather) when trying to start sometimes, and there is a little bit of oil getting spit up in to the air filter. I change the oil and check the level regularly and keep it at the low end of the dip stick, but still in the good range. I was told by a couple of dealers that both issues were just normal, but the hard starting has been getting much worse. I don't know if the issues are related, but I will try some of the suggestions previously posted. If anyone has any other suggestions, then I am all ears. Thanks.

Old 01-23-2014 | 11:59 AM
HOTROD1300
Intermediate
Default 2007 street glide doing the same thing

my 07 street glide doing the same thing I have heavy air cleaner and pro pipe and power vision tuner ,new starter and new deka 400 amp battery ,new crank sensor
any sugestions to try next
thanks,
ROD

Old 01-27-2014 | 03:34 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master

I know I need a replacement battery, and need to install the new spark plugs also but with my Power Commander V I was given a solution that works for me. When the bike is cold, as in first ride of the day, turn on, hit run to let fuel pump prime then hit start just like is says in the manual. Other than that I never let my fuel pump prime. Basically when I hit run, I hit start right after and do not let the fuel pump prime. If I remember correctly with the map I am running I do not need as much fuel at start so I don't let the pump prime. When I do, I get the horrible grinding, clunking hard starting sounds described here. It's worth a try and won't you cost a thing.

Old 08-04-2014 | 09:25 PM
fatmanontwowheels
Tourer

I just got to install stage 1 stuff this past weekend on my 11 SB ( Bassani road rage 1D5250 and Ness big sucker stage 1 ) and it just started the cough and starter clunk back. It is doing this cold. I am only running xied's at the moment so not sure if they are enough.