Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I be able to spin rear wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:47 AM
bigdady
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me my new phrase is (when in doubt change them out) i have had 3 sets of bearing in my rear and 2 sets in my front. i have 35,000 on my bike and i ride the hell out of it
again WHEN IN DOUBT CHANGE THEM OUT its scary when they let go at 80

Old 05-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All bawls bearings are like $13 each and only takes a few minutes to pull and install (with the proper tools, I know I bought the tools from George's garage). A good indy shop should be able to the get the job done for just a little over what the dealer deductible on your warranty will be. The dealer will likely insist on using MOCO parts (more mark up for them).

As stated, though your money is easy for me to spend, when you consider the cost of owning and maintaining a Harley, $50 to $100 for maintenance isn't big in the scheme of things.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:36 PM
dynabobster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Your dealer will just put the crappy cheap imported stock bearings in. Change them yourself. My rear bearings had to be replaced at 9,000 miles. Went to All ***** premium bearings.
Originally Posted by Inspector 12
All bawls bearings are like $13 each and only takes a few minutes to pull and install (with the proper tools, I know I bought the tools from George's garage). A good indy shop should be able to the get the job done for just a little over what the dealer deductible on your warranty will be. The dealer will likely insist on using MOCO parts (more mark up for them).

As stated, though your money is easy for me to spend, when you consider the cost of owning and maintaining a Harley, $50 to $100 for maintenance isn't big in the scheme of things.
All ***** are also made in China.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:50 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dynabobster
All ***** are also made in China.
Distributor claims USA. And they are claimed to be "premium" bearings.

Only have 1,000 miles on 'em so don't know if they last any longer, but I'm not satisfied w/ the Moco-spec cheapie bearings.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,403 Likes on 5,006 Posts

"Premium" is a sales term, not a bearing classification.

The reason some bikes seem to have a problem with the sealed bearings is because the inner spacer is not the correct dimension, causing the bearing to run in a cross load condition.

Until the spacer dimension is set to the proper dimension, the bike will continue to have bearing problems and the owners will complain that it is because of cheap bearings...

Some bikes seem to run forever on sealed bearings, these are the bikes that have the spacer set up correctly. If the dealer simply replaces the bearing without measuring the wheel to ensure the proper spacer setup, he is just reinstalling the same problem.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:59 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC

The reason some bikes seem to have a problem with the sealed bearings is because the inner spacer is not the correct dimension, causing the bearing to run in a cross load condition.

Until the spacer dimension is set to the proper dimension, the bike will continue to have bearing problems and the owners will complain that it is because of cheap bearings...

Some bikes seem to run forever on sealed bearings, these are the bikes that have the spacer set up correctly. If the dealer simply replaces the bearing without measuring the wheel to ensure the proper spacer setup, he is just reinstalling the same problem.
+1 on that, proper setup makes all the difference in the world.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:19 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

"Premium" is a sales term, not a bearing classification...
"Cheapie" isn't a bearing classification, either, but it is one which can accurately be used to define the stock bearing.

"Premium" is used to categorize an upgrade from OEM, whether it be bearings or tires.

No doubt improper spacers could contribute to shorter bearing life. But how can one explain premature bearing failure on so many newer bikes? Please don't expect us to believe Moco assembled them all w/ the wrong spacers.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:50 PM
dynabobster
Tourer

Distributor claims USA. And they are claimed to be "premium" bearings.

Only have 1,000 miles on 'em so don't know if they last any longer, but I'm not satisfied w/ the Moco-spec cheapie bearings.
All ***** in conjunction with KML Bearing which is China is what it states on several web site selling All *****. This is not to say they are not quality bearings since US Multi-National manufacturers build state of the art facilities in China and elsewhere to exploit low wage workers instead of investing in US facilities. State of the Art facilities anywhere can produce a quality product.

I will repeat this forever, if you have the narrow 25x52x15mm (most if not all '08 up) bearing you will be well served to replace the rear bearings at every tire change no matter what brand. IMO it is not the "cheapie" bearing, it is that this bearing is not suited to take the load for this application and if you increase the power to the rear wheel it will only exacerbate this problem. It is my understanding PM wheels use Japanese NACHI bearings for 25mm axle applications.
The wide bearings just do not have the failure rate anywhere close to these narrow bearings and I bet those that have failed were due to other factors, such as continuous wet weather riding or power washing the wheels.

The OP has the Wide Bearings, so when we talk bearings we need to separate those with the wide bearings 3/4 or 1" ID and the narrow 25mm ID bearing.
My

Old 05-22-2011, 07:06 PM
dynabobster
Tourer

Can you elaborate on this? What spacer dimensions are off? If you are using after-market wheels and such I could see this as a problem.

If you are running the OEM wheels and spacers this is a non issue unless the spacers were so short you were tweaking the swing arm and if that was the case the tire would be well off center. The bearing is simply clamped between the outer and center spacers with the clamping force applied to the center race. Proper torque is important, but you will always have some differences in tolerances between the spacers and swing arm, which will really only affect where the wheel is centered.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,403 Likes on 5,006 Posts

No doubt improper spacers could contribute to shorter bearing life. But how can one explain premature bearing failure on so many newer bikes? Please don't expect us to believe Moco assembled them all w/ the wrong spacers.
I don`t expect you to believe anything, it is just my opinion.

Some bikes run long distances with no bearing problems, and some bikes have recurring bearing problems.

If a bike has an inner spacer that is too short or too long, that bike is a perfect candidate for recurring bearing failure.