Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 FXDS with Wide Glide front end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:51 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 FXDS with Wide Glide front end?

I'm looking at buying a 1998 FXDS that's had a Wide Glide front end put on. I'm pretty ignorant in general about bikes, other than the basics. I am wondering if there are big differences between that year's FXDWG and FXDS. Just by looking at pics, it looks like the fender flares up on the Wide Glides, while it follows the curve of the wheel on the Convertible. I couldn't tell too many other differences on my own. I read that Harley will take and reuse the frame from one model to another, but maybe change up some things, like the collar where the front end connects. I tried to google it, but didn't find anything. I looked through a few pages on this forum, but started to think it was not something I'd find. I'd appreciate it if anyone who knows will take the time to advise me on this. Thanks-

Old 05-20-2011, 03:03 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as I know those are really the only differences you will find. Wide glides had the bobtail rear fender and the other dynas had the curved sportster fenders. That and of course the front end was either wide or narrow like the sportys have. The frames were the same. Also the WG came with a 21" front wheel and forward controls and mini apes.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:56 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain

Thanks, man, that helps me toward making a decision. On one side I have a 99 FXDWG with 48K miles, and on the other this FXDS with half as many miles. I'm guessing the convertible has more life left in the engine, but the wide glide is $450 less, and the bank will loan the whole thing. The glide is chromed out and just looks so good. Now that I think of it, my decision is pretty tough. Easier entry with the financing and a cooler ride versus less appealing, more expensive, longer life.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:36 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Oh man that is a tuff one! I got my WG with 13k miles a rebuilt motor with a S&S lower (I heard they had lower cases issues) black and chrome bike for 5,400 dollars. I did get it from an older guy who had it sense 2000. I love my wide glide. It handles like a dream. It is my first bike and it's super easy to ride. Could you get the guy to drop it by 450?

Old 05-20-2011, 10:13 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain

Nah, that's the funny thing. The one with the convertible won't budge. If he dropped it by $250, it would be a lot easier for me... I wouldn't have to come up with anything out of pocket. His bike has half the miles, but it isn't as cool as the wide glide. The dude with the glide is selling for what you got yours for, but when I ask him what the name on the title is, he let me know he never registered it! He says he's gonna do it and get back to me, but I got that feeling. I've always wanted a wide glide, and that flame paint job sure does look cool. But the other has an Evo, and I've always loved the bikes from that engine's time period. From reading, I've heard that the Evo is relatively easy to work on, and is pretty long-lasting. I'm going to ride one or both tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:00 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Good luck man! I got a sportster from a guy who never reg it. But I know whatyou mean. I think if it were me I would pass on the wide glide. The conv has a wide front already and lower miles. Also I don't like the bob tail rear looks stupid I think. Either way good luck and get the best bike you feel comfy on.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Crushrus
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

really, $450?! you can't come up with less than $500 in exchange for 24,000 fewer miles on the bike?!?! dude. thats a no brainer.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:27 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain

Today I went to check them out. The dude with the high milage/untitled wide glide didn't answer my text. The other dude was fantastic. Just a straight up guy. Needed to sell and after we talked for some time he agreed to let it go for the bank's amount. I'm going to pick it up middle of next week. I'm really excited. And yeah, I like the fender on the convertible just fine. The bike looks fantastic. It has a lot of chrome. I know a lot of folks get giddy about that. Me, I personally like a blacked out bike, like a night train. This bike is currently painted synester blue, and the engine case is just the flat metal look- no shine. I would kind of like to black out the engine and pipes, and maybe more, and then paint the tank and fenders silver. Lot of options, right?

And no, I don't really have much of a cushion built up. I'm making it, but it's not like I can snap my fingers and come up with a bunch of extra money. I'm doing well to be able to afford the TTL and insurance up front. Guess I could have sold a bunch of plasma :-)

Old 05-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Crushrus
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad it worked out for you. the other bike/seller sounded like more drama than it was worth.

post up some pics!

Old 05-21-2011, 08:38 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The 98 was the last year for Evo motors ... the 99 was the first year for Twin Cam 88 in the Dyna and Touring bikes ....

The Evo has 80" displacement if the motor is stock vice 88" displacement for 99 - 06 Twin Cams ....

R/
'Chop

Quick Reply: 1998 FXDS with Wide Glide front end?