Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing First Bike - Knowledge Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Danielle21
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing First Bike - Knowledge Please

Hey guys, so I have been shopping for my first bike (other than a dirt bike) for the last 2-3 weeks. I have spent a lot of time as a passenger, but I'd really like to get something for myself. Anyway, I am debating between a couple of bikes and I still feel like I need more information and guidance. So, I have been looking at a Sportster Super Low and today I found this awesome Street Bob.

Here's the thing, they both feel ok as far as the weight and the height of the bike. The Street Bob is an '06 with 15k miles. The Sportster is an '09 with under 500 miles. Same price. Now the Sportster isn't as comfortable with the mid foot controls and seems kind of cramped, but the Street Bob has forward controls and seems more comfortable. So, for a woman, who's 5'6 and a new rider, do you think one bike would be drastically better than the other? I like them both but I'm just worried that I won't choose the right bike for me. I'm trying to focus on the feel and keep my eyes closed so I don't get distracted by color!!!! (typical female) The Sportster is this awesome blue/purple color, but the Street Bob has a matte black color scheme which is awesome. Any help, advice, suggestions, etc is MUCH APPRECIATED!!!! xxoo - Danielle

Attached Thumbnails Choosing First Bike - Knowledge Please-2006-street-bob.jpg  
Old 05-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Friday55
Road Master

There's so many things that go into choosing a bike. I can't really help you out with these two models. I just want you to know that if you ride your own bike to Sturgis you will kill the fantasies of so many forum members. Good luck.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Danielle21
Advanced

Originally Posted by Friday55
There's so many things that go into choosing a bike. I can't really help you out with these two models. I just want you to know that if you ride your own bike to Sturgis you will kill the fantasies of so many forum members. Good luck.
Well, thats sweet of you to say. No one was getting the job done if you know what I mean, so like always, I became impatient and decided I'd just do it myself! It will be fun having my own, seems like I always date guys that have them and then I miss the bike more than the guy afterward! I really wanted to be a passenger for my first Sturgis trip though!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:02 AM
pete62conv
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mid controls and lower weight of the Sporty will help in low speed confidence. The higher weight, power and forward controls will make the Bob feel better at speed. The Bob may give you a little challenge at 10 mph and below. The sporty will feel a little nervous and winded at 75 though. I would recommend a Sporty I think. It will do a better job building your confidence which in turn let you have more fun. More fun=more miles= the better you get. You don't want to be thinking about the bike while you are riding. Traffic and safety should be your main concern. Being 5'6" take the smaller bike. Put forward controls on it later when you get the low speed thing dialed or keep looking for a sporty with forwards on it. I think they call it a Classic? Just my opinion and I'm sure you will hear more. Ha. Pete

Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 AM
greenstreetbob
Road Master

Sportsters are more top heavy and Dynas are more balanced. You also need to decide if you will be lowering the Street Bob. If so, you will need to add that into the price. What is your parking situation? I am glad I didn't get a bigger, heavier Softtail as my next bike because my driveway is at an extreme angle and I have very little parking space for the bike in my garage. I like Sportsters and have had a few, but make sure it won't be a bike you will be wanting to step up from pretty quickly. If I were you, I would open my choices aside from just these two bikes because you may be able to get another SB with lower miles.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Danielle21
Advanced

Originally Posted by pete62conv
The mid controls and lower weight of the Sporty will help in low speed confidence. The higher weight, power and forward controls will make the Bob feel better at speed. The Bob may give you a little challenge at 10 mph and below. The sporty will feel a little nervous and winded at 75 though. I would recommend a Sporty I think. It will do a better job building your confidence which in turn let you have more fun. More fun=more miles= the better you get. You don't want to be thinking about the bike while you are riding. Traffic and safety should be your main concern. Being 5'6" take the smaller bike. Put forward controls on it later when you get the low speed thing dialed or keep looking for a sporty with forwards on it. I think they call it a Classic? Just my opinion and I'm sure you will hear more. Ha. Pete
Thanks you, Pete! Very helpful! xo

Old 05-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Danielle21
Advanced

Originally Posted by greenstreetbob
Sportsters are more top heavy and Dynas are more balanced. You also need to decide if you will be lowering the Street Bob. If so, you will need to add that into the price. What is your parking situation? I am glad I didn't get a bigger, heavier Softtail as my next bike because my driveway is at an extreme angle and I have very little parking space for the bike in my garage. I like Sportsters and have had a few, but make sure it won't be a bike you will be wanting to step up from pretty quickly. If I were you, I would open my choices aside from just these two bikes because you may be able to get another SB with lower miles.
Good info - thank you, my garage is a two car, and just my Tahoe is in it and firewood and gardening stuff, so I think I am ok on garage space. However, my driveway is a serious angle up to the house, so....I'm not really sure about that. HHhmmmm.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Chances are you'll end up changing or adding similar bits on on either bike to make suit you, eg, seat, bars, controls etc. So my advice would be to take the time and hunt around more for a bike that feels "Most right".
Both the sportys and dynas are great bikes, you might want to see if you can find a late model sportster custom. It has the forward controls and is kind of cross between the sportsters and dynas. Good luck in your search !

8's

Old 05-19-2011, 12:52 AM
vindyl
Road Master

Get the street bob. I say that because because if you get a sporty you will wanna change bikes at somepoint, So why not just get one of the best bikes out there (DYNA FAMILY) from the start. The sporty will be top heavy and in my opinon they feel to narrow I hada sporty once for a month bought it as a second bike and got rid of it. As far as color you can always get it painted it is only 2 fenders and a tank it won't cost much. So good luck in what ever you chose to do but I say get the dyna you will be happier in the long run.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:20 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I were to get a second bike it would be that Super Low 883. I'm about 5'11'' and it felt okay for me. I would avoid the freeways with it even though I know people ride them there. It would be fun on the surface streets for sure. My first bike was a Sporty back in the 70's. There it goes...now my mid life crisis is really kicking in. I'm getting that Super Low this weekend.

Quick Reply: Choosing First Bike - Knowledge Please