Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing First Bike - Knowledge Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 PM
cjlandry
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Robotech pointed out, "better" is subjective, and the bikes are designed for much different types of riding. So the decision isn't about which bike fits you best, it's more about what type of riding you plan to do.

Originally Posted by pete62conv
Ooo weee. I agree.

Danielle here is a little story.

I am 35 and have been racing on two wheels for almost 30 years. When I was old enough to afford to buy my own bike at 17 or 18 I thought t would be cool to buy a Kx 500 mx bike. Well I had it for about a year. Wow what a blast. I sold that and bought a Ktm 360 mx and wheew, it was just as quick but was more stable. After a year I went to a new KX250 mx two stroke. Wow. It didnt have the bottom end of the big bikes but it was fun to hold it wide open at the MX track and ring its neck like my 125's. The smallest most flickable bike is usually the most fun. I continued to race mx and super moto but bought a street bike. I bought a Cbr 900rr. Two weeks later I was at the track with it doing 150. I got smoked. What did I do, got a Yamaha R6. I went to the track and was six seconds a lap quicker on a 1/3 less bike. I rode that bike like I stole it all over CA. I came into corners sideways and left in the same fashion. It was so much fun. Every time I get a new thing going I get the big bike just to find out it is more fun to ride the bikes to their potential than to be a "passenger" of the bike. I got my first Harley last year('10 wide glide) and feel like it fits just right. You know whats on my pc wall paper right now? A small bike. See below. BTW I'm 6'2"
I would love to have a Sportster in addition to my Dyna. If I had the money for them, I'd have a dresser, a dyna, and a sporty. Each has its own niche, and each niche is a lot of fun.

The longest rides I made regularly on my first sportster were around 600 miles, one way. It was a '72, with the shifter on the right. I had it custom painted, chromed out, with an S&S carb and drag pipes. It was pretty, it was loud, and it was a blast in the twisties. At first I thought the small gas tank would be a problem, but as it happened, my butt needed a break by the time I had to fuel up each time.

Hell, I even had a KZ1000 for a while, a long time ago. Times were hard and a friend gave it to me so I'd have transportation to and from work. It was also a lot of fun to ride. The shaft-drive was a little strange, but I got used to it.

I rode BMX as a kid, and rode a lot of friends' MX bikes around the tracks on non-race days.

I personally found big twin bikes to be a bit strange at first, because I can't toss 'em around the curves like I can a sportster or other sport-type bike.

The lower center of gravity tended to fight me a bit as I leaned into curves, and it was definitely a conscious effort to do it, where it was intuitive with sport bikes.

Don't worry so much about falling over or being unable to control the bigger bike. Just realize that it's not a sport bike, and ride accordingly.

FWIW, I love my forward controls around town, but I've mounted mid-position pegs because they're so much more comfy on the highway.

I also preferred the sportsters with mid controls. Forwards are too weird on a sport bike. Forward pegs were there when I wanted to stretch out a bit.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:47 PM
vindyl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alkay my bike came from the factory with forward controls on it, I put 13 inch apes on it due to haveing 6 bolts holding my shoulder together (not a motorcyle crash) and drag bars and other lower bars kill me after an hour or so. So some people have reasons for what they do to their bikes. And as far as needing bags to travel thats b.s. I grew up and me and my step dad would take our small *** tent roll it up with a few change of clothes it in strap it the sissy bar of his 68 triumph hard tail and hit the road. I spent many nights sleeping on a picnic table and would nt change a thing it was the best time we had. I know take my sons on trips and we just take what we can strap to the back rest. But hey we are all bother riders so ride free and stay safe and always stop to help each other.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:28 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by vindyl
Alkay my bike came from the factory with forward controls on it, I put 13 inch apes on it due to haveing 6 bolts holding my shoulder together (not a motorcyle crash) and drag bars and other lower bars kill me after an hour or so. So some people have reasons for what they do to their bikes. And as far as needing bags to travel thats b.s. I grew up and me and my step dad would take our small *** tent roll it up with a few change of clothes it in strap it the sissy bar of his 68 triumph hard tail and hit the road. I spent many nights sleeping on a picnic table and would nt change a thing it was the best time we had. I know take my sons on trips and we just take what we can strap to the back rest. But hey we are all bother riders so ride free and stay safe and always stop to help each other.
You, Sir, hit on some key points here.
SOME people have reasons for doing something, while a large number of others simply follow the "fashion"
Low bars hurt you after an hour of riding, while for many others the destination is less than an hour away
I also travel light, but prefer soft bags over the fender over strapping stuff to the sissy bar. I rarely have a passenger and haven't had a sissy bar in years.
Not sure why you'd sleep on a picnic table, I find ground more comfortable or hang a hammock.
I've always stopped to help riders and my tool kit includes metric tools and even couple Whitworth. (I use same kit on all my bikes)

Old 05-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Kytann
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Robotech
I keep hearing the term better and am not quite sure why. "Better" is a relative concept.

A Dyna is generally a more "stable" bike because it's center of gravity is lower. This makes it feel more controled in slow speed turns and less likely to feel "twitchy" or "overly responsive" when cornering. A Sportster tends to be less stable because it has a higher center of gravity. It will want to "fall into" a corner faster, transition faster, and react to steering inputs faster.

As far as "more power" goes, the Sportster 1200 is one of the best Power-to-Weight Harleys you can buy. If you're talking aftermarket, getting a Sportster over 100 hp is very doable if you have the money...just like anything else.

Which one is "better" is up to you. What is important to you? Comfort? Manuverability? Power? Highway cruising? Then which do you feel "better" on? Only you can answer these questions.

I have a 1999 Sportster that I have traveled from So. Cal. to Vegas and Pheonix on. The bike did it no problems. With a better seat I would have been even more comfortable but even with my cheapo seats it wasn't too bad (Okay, the stock solo seat sucks...) but I have forwards because that's more comfortable for me. For ride, the shocks were replaced with Road King Air Shocks and that made it a LOT better for about $75. Again, better for me.

I may not have as much experiance as some of these other guys...and some I know I don't have a tenth of the experiance they have...but I know what I've riden so far has worked for me. In the end, that's what it's got to come down to for you too.

One last thing, I do own a Dyna now (FXDWG) but I will never sell that Sportster. For riding the highway the Dyna is very comfortable and still fairly manuverable in traffic. But for those weekends where I want to go hit a twisty mountain road the Sportster is 10Xs more fun because I can push it a lot harder than the Dyna.
Old Sportsters have a good power to weight ratio. They also are known as filling looseners because of the solid mounted engines. New ones with the rubber mounted motors are ~100 lbs heavier.

And it may be relatively easy to get 100 hp out of a sporty motor. But it's also relatively easy to get stupid power out of a big twin. See my sig as an example of a healthy 103 build, that still drinks pump gas and is very friendly to live with daily. Stock big twins are almost ridiculously underituned from the factory.

And btw Robotech, awesome name, that was an awesome show back in the day.

And really I don't think she's looking to carve canyons or win drag races. I'm guessing reliability, stability, and comfort are high on her list of priorities. All of which the Dyna does better. The only thing the Sportster would have on the Dyna is being able to slip through smaller spaces in traffic. But a new rider isn't going to be lane-splitting or jumping at holes in traffic anyway.

There is nothing sexier than a female that can handle a bike
and nothing more pathetic than a female trying to wrestle with a bike thats obviously more than a handful.
This is pretty true. But don't forget that the muscles and muscle memory for handling a bike are learned. So if it feels like too much to handle now, it'll get easier as time goes on. Probably just one season and you'll be totally comfortable with the weight of the Dyna.

Someone else mentioned Softtails as being friendlier. I certainly enjoyed test riding a Fat Boy a lot before I bought my Fat Bob. I'd say the Bob was way friendlier in everything except a straight line. Which includes intersection turning. Couple that with Softtails being in general significantly more expensive and we're back to the Dyna.

When I first went into a Harley dealership I was pretty sure I was interested in the XR1200 and nothing else. Rode it, tried it, really wasn't impressed. But while I was there I tried a few other bikes. Loved the V-rods and the Fat Bobs. So that brings me to my other suggestion.

The V-Rod seemed a lot more friendly to shorter riders, as I felt pretty cramped on it. It feels very solid from billet and telepathic, as in whatever I wanted to do the bike just flowed right into it. Very friendly and very easy to ride. If you're willing to consider a non-air-cooled Harley give the V-Rod a thorough test ride, you may just absolutely love it.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:11 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

You're not going to like what I'm about to recommend. I would say that if you are a NEW rider that perhaps you should be considering an 883 cc. As an instructor and road captain, I see it all too often that ppl (women in particular...sorry) buy bikes that are way tooooo powerful for them. Don't be in a rush to learn riding skills on a smaller bike - it will make you that much better when you step up to softtail or touring class bike. Just my

Lobo

Old 05-20-2011, 10:26 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by alkay191
People all over the world tour on bikes much smaller than a Sporty.
I was able to zig-zag all over the country on a rigid '69 Sportster and survived. Don't listen to the "you'll outgrow it" crap. You probably will, but so what? You'll have the experience on a different bike and will know for yourself what fits and what doesn't. Forward control crap is just that. Crap.
Being stretched out to forward controls and ape hangers might be what these losers consider "cool", but really takes away from control of a bike.
So the questions you should ask yourself
Do I want a bike to ride or look cool on?
Am I going to be able to handle this bike in my driveway, on my commute and occasional long trip?
Am I going to learn on this bike or be overwhelmed by it and give up riding or dump it?

If you're a new rider and not sure yet of what you want or need, start with a Sporty. If you're into this sport for long haul, you'll always be able to sell it and get WHAT YOU DECIDE is best for you.
There is nothing sexier than a female that can handle a bike
and nothing more pathetic than a female trying to wrestle with a bike thats obviously more than a handful.
+++ The last two lines says it all. Don't buy into the macho bullshit of some of the posts. Guys usually encourage their girlfriends/wives to buy bigger than can be handled bikes so they don't have to be embarassed by riding along side a smaller bike. I know a lot of women that ride 450 - 650cc class bikes for a few years until they get really comfortable with handling all types of road/traffic/cager situations.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:36 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by roadkinglobo
I know a lot of women that ride 450 - 650cc class bikes for a few years until they get really comfortable with handling all types of road/traffic/cager situations.
I know 2 female riders.
First is about 5'2" and prob 120# Got an 883 for her first bike against my advise. Flopped it on both sides and traded it in for a Fat Boy. Now she barely rides it. Never alone because she's afraid that she won't be able to pick it up if she dropped it.
The other is barely 5' chubby fireplug. Been riding 30+ years that I known her. Used to ride a little 350 Honda then got into Viragos. She's been buying a new(used one) every couple of years because she racks up the miles on them. Every time I see one of them, she's got 40K plus on it ... She's been teaching MSF several years now.
Witch one is biker?

Old 05-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Kytann
Cruiser

I know 2 female riders.
First is about 5'2" and prob 120# Got an 883 for her first bike against my advise. Flopped it on both sides and traded it in for a Fat Boy. Now she barely rides it. Never alone because she's afraid that she won't be able to pick it up if she dropped it.
The other is barely 5' chubby fireplug. Been riding 30+ years that I known her. Used to ride a little 350 Honda then got into Viragos. She's been buying a new(used one) every couple of years because she racks up the miles on them. Every time I see one of them, she's got 40K plus on it ... She's been teaching MSF several years now.
Witch one is biker?
If we talk non-Harleys there are a plethora of possibilities. But I'm guessing she'll only be interested in Harleys.

The Sportser Superlow is supposed to be targeted towards shorter riders, and women specifically. But it's still got the heavy Sportster engine and frame.

A few years ago Buell had there starter bike using half of a Sportster motor. I forget what that was called though. It was designed to be lighter weight yet still torquey enough to ride on. Supposedly an ideal starter bike, and it's still kind of a Harley.

Of course starter bikes are usually outgrown. Which means taking a monetary loss when you sell it for something else later.

As to your story of two women, I don't really care how many miles one person accumulates over another, or if one person magically can earn the title "biker" whereas another cannot. We all ride, why do you want to divide us into arguing little groups making fun of each other? United we stand, divided we fall and all of that...

Old 05-20-2011, 11:22 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kytann

As to your story of two women, I don't really care how many miles one person accumulates over another, or if one person magically can earn the title "biker" whereas another cannot. We all ride, why do you want to divide us into arguing little groups making fun of each other? United we stand, divided we fall and all of that...
Its not the amount of miles, but the commitment, dedication and honesty of the sport.
I don't consider myself a biker. I think I'm in it for the sport. If h-d went out of business tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a tear and would continue to ride and race.
Also I don't intentionally divide "us" into groups. I do my thing and ya'll are free to do yours. I just happen to have more respect for people who ride to ride instead of ride to be a part of something.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Kytann
Cruiser

Its not the amount of miles, but the commitment, dedication and honesty of the sport.
I don't consider myself a biker. I think I'm in it for the sport. If h-d went out of business tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a tear and would continue to ride and race.
Also I don't intentionally divide "us" into groups. I do my thing and ya'll are free to do yours. I just happen to have more respect for people who ride to ride instead of ride to be a part of something.
Sounds to me like you've got a thing to prove. But that's already been mentioned in other posts so I won't rehash that.

Anyway, can't wait for pics of her new ride, whichever direction she goes.

Quick Reply: Choosing First Bike - Knowledge Please