Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing First Bike - Knowledge Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:03 PM
ozfree1979
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL! Wow. drowning in a bucket of AIDS? that's some sh*t right there. I extend the olive branch and it gets jammed up my a$$.

Not sinking to that level though. It's much nicer up here where people respect one another.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:13 PM
dynabobster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sporty Low is going to leave you wanting something with a suspension the first time you hit a road with even slight bumps and you will certainly want to move up with in 6 months of mastering the sporty.
If you choose the '06 SB, as another poster brought up, you need to check the service records and make sure it has had the primary fixed properly with the alignment dowels, etc. and the Stator replaced with a one piece unit or factor that into the price and expect to repair those on your dime, thinking that H-D will warranty those at this late date may be wishful thinking.
I think you should stay with mid controls and lower bars, seems as though you would be somewhat stretched out, but that is just my opinion and if the mini apes and forwards are comfortable for you to handle then that is what counts.

Personally, I would recommend you look around more for an '07-'08 SB or Low Rider, the low rider does have a very comfortable feel to it for the shorter person.

You might want to even consider a FatBoy, Fat Boy Low or Heritage Softail '07 up. The softys seem to be very forgiving for shorter women and women in general, they have an even lower center of gravity which will help out as a new rider. I see more and more women on the softys and they seem very comfortable right from the start. I know the Dyna hardcore may disagree, but from what I have seen, especially the women in group rides, they just seem much more in control and confident and same with the Dyna Low Rider.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:23 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ozfree1979
LOL! Wow. drowning in a bucket of AIDS? that's some sh*t right there. I extend the olive branch and it gets jammed up my a$$.

Not sinking to that level though. It's much nicer up here where people respect one another.
I AM an opinionated *****, but didn't come here to fight ... even though I like to

I hope OP finds my advice more useful than
" Wide Glide is best first bike because I learned to ride on one like 2 weeks ago and its awesome in the twisties because I'M just soooo comfortable with my apehangers and extended forward controls"

Old 05-19-2011, 02:26 PM
pete62conv
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07bobber
You guys need to chill....leave a comment for the op and be done with it...
Ooo weee. I agree.

Danielle here is a little story.

I am 35 and have been racing on two wheels for almost 30 years. When I was old enough to afford to buy my own bike at 17 or 18 I thought t would be cool to buy a Kx 500 mx bike. Well I had it for about a year. Wow what a blast. I sold that and bought a Ktm 360 mx and wheew, it was just as quick but was more stable. After a year I went to a new KX250 mx two stroke. Wow. It didnt have the bottom end of the big bikes but it was fun to hold it wide open at the MX track and ring its neck like my 125's. The smallest most flickable bike is usually the most fun. I continued to race mx and super moto but bought a street bike. I bought a Cbr 900rr. Two weeks later I was at the track with it doing 150. I got smoked. What did I do, got a Yamaha R6. I went to the track and was six seconds a lap quicker on a 1/3 less bike. I rode that bike like I stole it all over CA. I came into corners sideways and left in the same fashion. It was so much fun. Every time I get a new thing going I get the big bike just to find out it is more fun to ride the bikes to their potential than to be a "passenger" of the bike. I got my first Harley last year('10 wide glide) and feel like it fits just right. You know whats on my pc wall paper right now? A small bike. See below. BTW I'm 6'2"

Attached Thumbnails Choosing First Bike - Knowledge Please-bobber.jpg  
Old 05-19-2011, 03:01 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by pete62conv
Ooo weee. I agree.

Danielle here is a little story.

I am 35 and have been racing on two wheels for almost 30 years. When I was old enough to afford to buy my own bike at 17 or 18 I thought t would be cool to buy a Kx 500 mx bike. Well I had it for about a year. Wow what a blast. I sold that and bought a Ktm 360 mx and wheew, it was just as quick but was more stable. After a year I went to a new KX250 mx two stroke. Wow. It didnt have the bottom end of the big bikes but it was fun to hold it wide open at the MX track and ring its neck like my 125's. The smallest most flickable bike is usually the most fun. I continued to race mx and super moto but bought a street bike. I bought a Cbr 900rr. Two weeks later I was at the track with it doing 150. I got smoked. What did I do, got a Yamaha R6. I went to the track and was six seconds a lap quicker on a 1/3 less bike. I rode that bike like I stole it all over CA. I came into corners sideways and left in the same fashion. It was so much fun. Every time I get a new thing going I get the big bike just to find out it is more fun to ride the bikes to their potential than to be a "passenger" of the bike. I got my first Harley last year('10 wide glide) and feel like it fits just right. You know whats on my pc wall paper right now? A small bike. See below. BTW I'm 6'2"
Couldn't agree more !!!
Same boat here. After not having any fun on RM400 I realized that 125s are a blast.
Endurance Roadraced on few different teams from GS500 to R1, but had the most fun on my little '78 Yamaha SR500.
I continue to travel back into time. I did Jason Pridmore's school on '71 BMW and my next race project is '63 Triumph 650. 45HP YEE HAW!!!!

If I had to replace my FXD right now, it would be with a Sporty. I'm 5'9 and ride solo 100% of the time. Soft bags, duffle and a tank bag is all I need to go anywhere/anytime.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:11 PM
bqualls
Tourer
Default Choosing First Bike - Knowledge Please

I've owned both a Sporty and a Dyna Super Glide Custom. I echo the sentiments of several other posters -- go with the Street Bob. In some respects a Dyna is a Sporty on steriods. However, the Dyna is a better balanced bike, not as top heavy or tippy as a Sporty. The Dyna is great for touring or barhopping -- very versatile. You'll be surprised how quickly you grow into the Bob. I have several female rider friends who ride Dynas with no problem. Let us know what you settle on and post the requisite photos. We don't tire of looking at bikes here. Best regards...

Old 05-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I keep hearing the term better and am not quite sure why. "Better" is a relative concept.

A Dyna is generally a more "stable" bike because it's center of gravity is lower. This makes it feel more controled in slow speed turns and less likely to feel "twitchy" or "overly responsive" when cornering. A Sportster tends to be less stable because it has a higher center of gravity. It will want to "fall into" a corner faster, transition faster, and react to steering inputs faster.

As far as "more power" goes, the Sportster 1200 is one of the best Power-to-Weight Harleys you can buy. If you're talking aftermarket, getting a Sportster over 100 hp is very doable if you have the money...just like anything else.

Which one is "better" is up to you. What is important to you? Comfort? Manuverability? Power? Highway cruising? Then which do you feel "better" on? Only you can answer these questions.

I have a 1999 Sportster that I have traveled from So. Cal. to Vegas and Pheonix on. The bike did it no problems. With a better seat I would have been even more comfortable but even with my cheapo seats it wasn't too bad (Okay, the stock solo seat sucks...) but I have forwards because that's more comfortable for me. For ride, the shocks were replaced with Road King Air Shocks and that made it a LOT better for about $75. Again, better for me.

I may not have as much experiance as some of these other guys...and some I know I don't have a tenth of the experiance they have...but I know what I've riden so far has worked for me. In the end, that's what it's got to come down to for you too.

One last thing, I do own a Dyna now (FXDWG) but I will never sell that Sportster. For riding the highway the Dyna is very comfortable and still fairly manuverable in traffic. But for those weekends where I want to go hit a twisty mountain road the Sportster is 10Xs more fun because I can push it a lot harder than the Dyna.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:19 PM
lkohan7373
Cruiser

I have had both a Sporty and now own a Dyna. Each offers it's own riding style. I suggest if you already have your license and have an opportunity ride each one. Consider what type of riding you will be doing and don't rush into a hasty decision. The only person who can decide which bike is right for you is you. Take all the advice on here but ultimately it will be your decision. Riding is the best way to judge. Also there is a woman rider's forum on here. Maybe put this on that thread and see what other women say.

Good luck and ride safe.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:24 PM
maccid
Cruiser

I am not one to give advice on the Sporty. I almost got the 1200 custom but decided to go ahead and get the Super Glide Custom instead. I really like my bike and glad that I did. I was worried about it being my first bike and maybe being too much. I took my time with it. I took short rides through the development, watched every video that I could, and then took the Motorcycle Safety course at my local DMV. I would not get on the highway at first as I wanted to build my confidence before I got into traffic. Being military and balancing family and 12 hour shifts, I don't get a lot of time to ride. I however do feel a lot more confident and with that comes increased comfort. I would go with the SB in my opinion but then again what is right for me isn't necessarily right for you. As stated before you have to decide where you will be riding the most. Go with what is right for you and post pics when you do......can't wait to see the pics.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:01 PM
jbrown4217
Cruiser

I started on dirt bikes, moved on to a cbr, then a sporty and now a street bob. The bob is by far my favorite and if I had it to do over again I personaly would start there. That being said I don't regret owning any of my bikes and enjoyed all of them and if i could I would still own them all. It seems to me that anyone that has ridden for very long at all has owned several bikes and modified each one. My point is that either bike is a great bike and you will probably love either so take your time and go with whichever one you keep thinking about the most, and if down the road you want the other it is not that big of a deal to change bikes. As much as I love my bob (with apes, forwards and lowered shocks) right now, I'm sure that someday a bagger will be the best bike for me. Buy the one bike you like best as the sportster will do fine on the highway and the bob will do fine in the twisties. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Choosing First Bike - Knowledge Please