Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing First Bike - Knowledge Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:59 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the Dyna. Like others have and will say they are very well balanced. Plus they hold their value more. I have a 93 sporty 1200. I got it in April. Not even by the end of April I bought my wide glide. The sporty even has forward controls and a wide glide front and it still is small. But I am 6'4 250 lol. I would get the bob and the denim matte black it is in is awesome color! Good luck enjoy!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 AM
ozfree1979
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alkay I'm sure she won't have a problem handling it and if she is on one wheel ground clearance isn't an issue

Old 05-19-2011, 10:05 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

People all over the world tour on bikes much smaller than a Sporty.
I was able to zig-zag all over the country on a rigid '69 Sportster and survived. Don't listen to the "you'll outgrow it" crap. You probably will, but so what? You'll have the experience on a different bike and will know for yourself what fits and what doesn't. Forward control crap is just that. Crap.
Being stretched out to forward controls and ape hangers might be what these losers consider "cool", but really takes away from control of a bike.
So the questions you should ask yourself
Do I want a bike to ride or look cool on?
Am I going to be able to handle this bike in my driveway, on my commute and occasional long trip?
Am I going to learn on this bike or be overwhelmed by it and give up riding or dump it?

If you're a new rider and not sure yet of what you want or need, start with a Sporty. If you're into this sport for long haul, you'll always be able to sell it and get WHAT YOU DECIDE is best for you.
There is nothing sexier than a female that can handle a bike
and nothing more pathetic than a female trying to wrestle with a bike thats obviously more than a handful.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:16 AM
woodthecrab
Novice

Danielle,

I just got an 06 Street Bob as my first bike and it is awesome. I have very little riding experience. Granted, I'm 6' and 180lbs. Still, if you are not afraid of the bike and are willing to practice in a safe environment, I really think you will come to appreciate the Bob.
Something to consider that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet. The 06 dynas have a few issues. SOME first half year bikes have an inner primary bearing issue and a separate rotor-stator issue. You can search these problems to learn more about them. The mileage of your potential Bob is coming into the trouble zone of 15-20K that most riders with issues report. These repairs are doable, but they are not cheap. You should try to look into the history of the bike more actively. If this is a dealer purchase, then I would certainly negotiate some sort of understanding about these issues into the purchase price. My bike only has 4K, so I figure I have time to deal with this if it comes up.

I don't know what $$ you are talking here, but if you are willing to study the market on craigslist and ebay, you can find good values on Bobs. My Street Bob is hooked up and I paid $7500 from a private seller who was motivated.

My advice, don't rush your purchase. Ride the bikes. Read the forums. Figure out what YOU like. Get yourself a good price. It's a great time to buy if you are smart about it.

Good luck!
Woody

Old 05-19-2011, 10:24 AM
ozfree1979
6th Gear

alkay I bet you survived but you probably weren't comfortable. And why do you feel threatened to call us "losers"? What did we do to prompt the name calling? Honestly, It's a sign of weakness.

To many the riding positon that "mini" apes and forwards provide is quite comfortable. I agree, It's all personal preference and apes do compromise the handling, but again the bars can be changed.

On that note, based on the input from people who have owned sportys a good majority are saying the same thing. They all went for the bigger bike after a short time. Getting a bike (so you can say you had the experience on it) knowing you are going to grow out of it in a couple months makes no sense whatsoever.

I agree with you, though, that there is always a learning curve. With good habits she shouldn't have a problem and might I suggest taking the rider safety course? It's well worth it.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:44 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ozfree1979
alkay I bet you survived but you probably weren't comfortable. And why do you feel threatened to call us "losers"? What did we do to prompt the name calling? Honestly, It's a sign of weakness.

To many the riding positon that "mini" apes and forwards provide is quite comfortable. I agree, It's all personal preference and apes do compromise the handling, but again the bars can be changed.

On that note, based on the input from people who have owned sportys a good majority are saying the same thing. They all went for the bigger bike after a short time. Getting a bike (so you can say you had the experience on it) knowing you are going to grow out of it in a couple months makes no sense whatsoever.

I agree with you, though, that there is always a learning curve. With good habits she shouldn't have a problem and might I suggest taking the rider safety course? It's well worth it.
I've been riding for a total of 41 years. 31 on the street. "threatened" or "weakness" is not the the reason I consider some of ya'll "losers"

You are right, I wasn't all that comfortable, but I learned a lot more in the 20 plus K I put on that bike than I ever would reading 20,000 pages of biased advice from inexperienced new riders.
What percentage of riding will be long distance highway riding vs. local commuting? and where? how do you know whats better for HER?
Apes and forwards may feel comfortable, but add NOTHING to control of the motorcycle (unless you're 7' tall)
What makes you think she will outgrow the bike? I know several excellent, very experienced riders that prefer smaller bikes.
We (Americans) are so hung up on "bigger is better" we miss out on the basics of motorcycling. We've become posers on motorcycles instead of motorcycle riders.
I know, I come across as an ***. I am. I've been living MC life long enough to remember when mortgage brokers looked down on bikers instead of pretending to be one.

MSF is the absolute best advice ever. I didn't offer it in my first post, because it wasn't the question.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:50 AM
ozfree1979
6th Gear

Alkay that's quite a riding legacy! Longer than I have lived! I'm sure you have very valuable experience, advice, and stories. All of which I am interested in hearing should you be so inclined to share. Also I don't think you are an ***. I don't even know you it wouldn't be Fair for me to judge you as such.

It's all about the ride!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:23 PM
greenstreetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ozfree1979
Alkay that's quite a riding legacy! Longer than I have lived! I'm sure you have very valuable experience, advice, and stories. All of which I am interested in hearing should you be so inclined to share. Also I don't think you are an ***. I don't even know you it wouldn't be Fair for me to judge you as such.

It's all about the ride!
His head couldn't get any fatter talking about his own "legacy". The guy sits on here all day talking about how much we all suck and how much of a biker he is. It's a shame that the rest of us wear clean clothes everyday and have most of our own teeth left. We are all threatening HIS lifestyle with our responsibility and holding a job and crap like that. This guy is the ultimate poser-riding or not.

The fact is ALOT of us put lowered shocks on our bikes and it DOES NOT kill the handling. That's like saying that the MOCO built a perfect bike and it's perfect the way it is for all of us. And all apes are not just for looking cool. The bottom line is that you have to be honest with yourself about what kind of riding you will be doing. A Sportster is a fine bike for alot of folks and it may be just perfect for you, but if you truely will be doing frequent longer distance trips, then a Dyna is a great bike. The question is, can you handle it? If you are mostly around town I'd say a Sportster. Longer trips, I'd day Dyna.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:51 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by greenstreetbob
His head couldn't get any fatter talking about his own "legacy". The guy sits on here all day talking about how much we all suck and how much of a biker he is. It's a shame that the rest of us wear clean clothes everyday and have most of our own teeth left. We are all threatening HIS lifestyle with our responsibility and holding a job and crap like that. This guy is the ultimate poser-riding or not.

The fact is ALOT of us put lowered shocks on our bikes and it DOES NOT kill the handling. That's like saying that the MOCO built a perfect bike and it's perfect the way it is for all of us. And all apes are not just for looking cool. The bottom line is that you have to be honest with yourself about what kind of riding you will be doing. A Sportster is a fine bike for alot of folks and it may be just perfect for you, but if you truely will be doing frequent longer distance trips, then a Dyna is a great bike. The question is, can you handle it? If you are mostly around town I'd say a Sportster. Longer trips, I'd day Dyna.
I sit here all day because my job allows me plenty of time to do so.
It also provides me with plenty of travel and time off to do few road trips every year, go racing or do few track days and build a different bike evry year or two. I have all my own teeth and wear normal clothes.
You are not threatening my lifestyle in any way.
As far as my "legacy"...its just my life. I lived it for me and not to impress anyone. I've done some cool things, traveled a lot and rode a few different bikes. I don't give a **** if you approve, like it or not, or drown in a bucket of AIDS. You don't matter.
As far as handling, short shocks or springs are generally stiffer and shorten the travel as well as ride height, so they do affect handling in a negative way. If you don't understand that, sorry, but sucks to be you.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:25 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys need to chill....leave a comment for the op and be done with it...

Quick Reply: Choosing First Bike - Knowledge Please