Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing First Bike - Knowledge Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:05 AM
FishStick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Friday55
I just want you to know that if you ride your own bike to Sturgis you will kill the fantasies of so many forum members. Good luck.
x2

I would go with the Street Bob. Since you already have some riding experience you will handle the Street Bob just fine in no time. Its easy to ride. Also the Street Bob sounds like your favorite out of the 2 so why have regrets?

Old 05-19-2011, 05:16 AM
imbthree
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the scoop. I just sold my 05 sportster custom after owning it for 3 years and bought a street bob. The bob is way better. I'm about 5'10" and felt to big on the sportster. Never felt comfortable on it, especially in the corners. All the weight feels like its on top of the bike. The Bob on the other hand is great in the turns, even at slow speeds. All the weight feels like its an inch from the ground. Very steady on the highway. Doesn't blow all over the place like the sporty did. Plus, even if u don't think so now, your gonna want to upgrade after a year! Trust me....go with the BOB. My .02

Last edited by imbthree; 05-19-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:18 AM
imbthree
Advanced

P.S. I sit flat footed when I'm on the Bob, I didn't when I was riding the sportster.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:38 AM
cjlandry
Road Master

Originally Posted by Danielle21
Good info - thank you, my garage is a two car, and just my Tahoe is in it and firewood and gardening stuff, so I think I am ok on garage space. However, my driveway is a serious angle up to the house, so....I'm not really sure about that. HHhmmmm.
Makes it easy to back the bike down the driveway from the garage. Just make sure your front brake is good.

I've had sportsters, and I've loved them. They're a blast around town, but limited for longer runs on the open road.

The Street Bob will be great around town and on the highway. They call 'em "cruisers" for a reason.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:45 AM
Sevendcmc
Advanced

I went with a Sportster and it was a great bike but cant compare to the Dyna line. Sportsters are great bikes but you will want more by the end of the year so buy something you will not have to trade in at the end of the year.

My Sportster (Traded in)

My Fat Bob

Old 05-19-2011, 07:05 AM
FXDWG2011
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

One more vote for the SB...... definitely go with the SB

Old 05-19-2011, 08:29 AM
CMC
Road Captain

Get whatever you're most comfortable on. Having said that, like the other guys said the Dyna will be much better for long rides, especially freeway, so take that into consideration.

Good luck and ride safe.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:18 AM
pete62conv
Cruiser

Just to keep the bias straight, ask the same question in the sporty forum. Go sit on a Sporty Custom before you make a decision too. Get what's most comfortable. Have someone help you lean the bike over a bit as if it fell over and see if you can lift them both. Nothing cooler than a girl that can pick up her own bike! (Comming from a lifetime dirt bike guy)

Old 05-19-2011, 09:46 AM
ozfree1979
6th Gear

I agree with Vindyl. Get the bike that you will grow INTO not OUT OF. You can always lower the Bob if you need it. Just a pair of shocks. But once you get confident in riding you're going to want more power, period.

Go with the Dyna and don't look back!

Old 05-19-2011, 09:51 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ozfree1979
I agree with Vindyl. Get the bike that you will grow INTO not OUT OF. You can always lower the Bob if you need it. Just a pair of shocks. But once you get confident in riding you're going to want more power, period.

Go with the Dyna and don't look back!
Yep, just a pair of shocks to ruin the handling and ground clearance. great advice ....

Quick Reply: Choosing First Bike - Knowledge Please