Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide vs Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 12:32 PM
blackfinbob
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wide Glide vs Street Bob

Bulldogge,
I can give some input on this because I have an '06 Street Bob and at the same time, a friend of mine bought an 06 wide glide. I am 6'2. 225 lbs. I have forward controls on my bob. Occasionally we will switch bikes just change it up a bit...I like them both, here is just my opinion....I have about $16.2 in my bob and he has about 22.0 in his wide glide.

Wide Glide- The ride is much better, however it is a different feeling ride. It feels like you sit on the wide glide and you sit in the street bob. Obviously this is due to the seat height. The wide glide ride is smoother and you don't feel the bumps as well as you do on the bob. The wide glide doesn't seem to hand or corner as well as the bob, this is probably due to the difference in the rake and the lowered stance. The wide glide is better for two up riding, the longer wheel base makes it feel like you have a bit more room. The chrome is definitely night and day. Almost non existent on a bob.

The bob- Rides a bit more stiff and lower than the wide glide. You definitely feel the road more. It corners better than the wide glide and is much more nimble in handling. I feel more in control on the street bob...

Bottom line, I wanted a wide glide, but I couldn't justify the extra cost versus the street bob.. The street bob is a blank slate compared to the wide glide. If you add the accessories you want you could end up in the 16-18k range on the street bob or 20+ in the wide glide range. Of course that is just my opinion I love the "bob" and I am very happy with my choice. If I could afford it, I would have a wide glide too....I like them both.
Hope this helps,
jdog

Old 10-28-2006, 01:12 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree,i think the bob is very well priced.just one factor that convinced me to buy the bob. plus,i really like the handelbars on the bob,they fit me perfect.the forward pegs were a must have for me,i like having the mids,and forward pegs,i can switch back and forth.

ORIGINAL: jdog12091

Bulldogge,
I can give some input on this because I have an '06 Street Bob and at the same time, a friend of mine bought an 06 wide glide. I am 6'2. 225 lbs. I have forward controls on my bob. Occasionally we will switch bikes just change it up a bit...I like them both, here is just my opinion....I have about $16.2 in my bob and he has about 22.0 in his wide glide.

Wide Glide- The ride is much better, however it is a different feeling ride. It feels like you sit on the wide glide and you sit in the street bob. Obviously this is due to the seat height. The wide glide ride is smoother and you don't feel the bumps as well as you do on the bob. The wide glide doesn't seem to hand or corner as well as the bob, this is probably due to the difference in the rake and the lowered stance. The wide glide is better for two up riding, the longer wheel base makes it feel like you have a bit more room. The chrome is definitely night and day. Almost non existent on a bob.

The bob- Rides a bit more stiff and lower than the wide glide. You definitely feel the road more. It corners better than the wide glide and is much more nimble in handling. I feel more in control on the street bob...

Bottom line, I wanted a wide glide, but I couldn't justify the extra cost versus the street bob.. The street bob is a blank slate compared to the wide glide. If you add the accessories you want you could end up in the 16-18k range on the street bob or 20+ in the wide glide range. Of course that is just my opinion I love the "bob" and I am very happy with my choice. If I could afford it, I would have a wide glide too....I like them both.
Hope this helps,
jdog

Old 10-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am big. I have a Street Bob with mid controls and I like it that way.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:03 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jdog12091

Bulldogge,

Hope this helps,
jdog

I agree with most of your post jdog...the only thing that I don't agree with is your sit in/sit on comparison. You mentioned seat height is definitely a major difference between the two, which I had also acknowledged in a previous post. But that feeling that you're referring to is much more accurate when comparing a touring bike (i.e. road king) to an FX dyna. You sit ON a road king. I used to feel the same way about my '00 shadow 750. It's like you're sitting on top of a flat board, high up with your feet directly below you, and your hands spread way apart holding a wide bar. And I might add, that is specifically how those bikes were designed to feel....distributing your weight across more of your body to allow for longer saddle times.

I have a wide glide, and if I thought it felt like those ("sitting on") touring style bikes, I would've never bought it. I much prefer to feel like I'm sitting in my motorcycle, and the tall narrow bars, and forward controls absolutely provide me with that feeling, despite the relatively high seat height. The addition of the sidekick seat puts me lower and farther back, adding to the "sitting in" feeling.

So while I totally agree that you sit higher on a wide glide than a street bob (and that you feel the road more on a bob, and that the bob handles better..etc etc)... to describe it as a "sitting on" feeling probably isn't the best way to compare these two particular motorcycles.

What I can say is this....I understand why you would compare these two motorcycles in this way. I've owned 5 different bikes in the last 6 years, and what I've noticed is that when you get used to your current motorcycle, any others feel a bit awkward. The sitting in/sitting on comparison is a common one...however, it's more often than not a comparison made by someone who is used to one particular bike getting on a different bike and feeling awkward. That awkwardness translates to the "sitting on" perception.

The best way I can tell you how to understand what I mean more clearly is to ride your bike...then ride your friend's wide glide...and then ride a road king. At that point, you could see what I'm talking about. You may still feel like you sit "in" your bike more than the WG

Old 10-28-2006, 03:34 PM
kurtmess1
Advanced

I am 6'3" and 260 lbs... I just bought a 2007 Street Bob. I will be putting on Forward Controls.
You will fit either bike...so it is a matter of taste

Old 10-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Bulldogge
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies.

Its a done deal - Street Bob in March!

Now for the long Canadian winter ....

Old 10-28-2006, 10:49 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bulldogge

Thanks for all the replies.

Its a done deal - Street Bob in March!

Now for the long Canadian winter ....
wew!!! I thought you might buy one of those piece of $hit Wide Glides

Todd

Old 10-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Helix
Tourer

Grats!! Youll definatly Like the Bob . I have an 07' Bob and I LOVE the Bike. I came off a Sportster so the statement of " Feeling The road more " on a Bob means nothing. The Bob glides down the road and is very smooth atleast mine is and its very very nimble.Infact Im pretty sure I could out corner my Old Sportster. Im 6 1" and the Bob fits me perfectly. I did add Highway pegs and I believe that is a must.I like to stretch out and its a cheap way to do it plus you can switch back to the mids when you want to. Unless your a fan of Fwd controls you may just want to spend $125 and add the Highway pegs , they bolt straight on. I wanted the throw back - bad *** - retro Bike so the Bob was a hands down choice. Grats again !

Old 10-29-2006, 01:05 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

Bob all the way. My dealer built my bob for himself. He had over 25K into it! It is amazing. I got it with 2000 miles on it and he knocked off 5K.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:46 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

I think I need to spend at least six months on a Wide Glide to better discern the minute differences between the two. I will accept donations as there is a leftover `06 locally that is silver and blue with a flame job that will do nicely. PM for address and for whom to make the checks out to. I agree to sell the bike at the end of the trial period and return everyone's money. Thank you very much. [8D]

Quick Reply: Wide Glide vs Street Bob