Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocation issues, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Rebobbed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocation issues, what to do?

I posted the same reply on a different thread but thought i would start a new one in hopes of more help. i followed the HD instuctions (bad idea). i have cut the wires just under the fender and pulled them out of the housing and throught he fender. when peeling off the heatshrink already in the wires there is soldered joints about 3 inches from the bezel.

how am i supposed to get those through the stud?? i can crimp them enough and i dont want to leave them exposed. its virtually impossible to pull these through!

My only idea is to run new wires from the socket all the way back that dont have a soldered joint in the way? My concern is getting the connections out of the socket.

Anybody have any suggestions? has anyone else experienced this same thing with there being spliced wires already? seems kind of funny that HD would do this? Why would they not run one wire all the way instead of piecing?

Help??

Old 05-17-2011, 09:18 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Never seen splices on a new bike anywhere except the wires to the controls that are spliced together, did you buy the bike used?
Easiest way is to replace the wire, would be next to impossible to get 2 spliced wires through those studs.
You could slightly over drill the hole. Splice wires and put the splice in the turn signal housing.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Slipstrm
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The turn sigs come apart, I have replaced the wires in them before.
Not enough room for splices in my opinion.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:42 AM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Had a similar issue And just soldered entirely new wires in there...

There's posts about taking the dogs apart, it's dead easy... Pull the bulb out, use a pick or wire coat hanger to pull the chrome part out of the housing and bingo! Good luck bud, it's a simple job.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Rebobbed
Advanced

yes its used. im thinking the previous owner had the relocation kit on before and took it off and for whatever reason. I have tried to getr new connectors for the socket at the dealer and they dont sell them. they want to sell me the whole soclet with wires attached.
I got a guy working on it right now, i think i can do it. in my shop at work but suprisingly we have every size wire except 16 awg. so i have to go with 18. Think this will cause any issues. otherwise i cant get 14 through the studs?

thanks

Old 05-18-2011, 02:33 PM
mazorglide
Cruiser

I would replace the wires, your local hd dealer will have the feruls you need and if you mess up a connector they got those too. They are cheap, I had to do that when I replaced my fronts, and buy the correct feruls for the rear.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:46 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by iDodgimus
...There's posts about taking the dogs apart, it's dead easy... Pull the bulb out, use a pick or wire coat hanger to pull the chrome part out of the housing and bingo! Good luck bud, it's a simple job.
Here's the link to that thread:

Rear Turn Signal Disassembly

Old 05-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Rebobbed
Advanced

Thanks for all the help. I went to my local HD dealer andf they could not provide me with new terminals to connect to the socket. i was able to peel the old ones off and re solder new wires to them. i think i have it now. was able to run the wire through gothe the housing socket all out back together. just have to wire tonight. I was pretty suprised HD didnt have the terminals. not even anybody on the shop? they wanted to sell me a new socket with the wires attached for $40 ea. and they didnt have them in stock. And this is one of the best dealers in the country so apparently i am one of the few that have had an issue like this?

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions. Its nice to have helpful people aruond here to give some pointers!!

HD for life!!