Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fork springs , are they worth swapping out ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:50 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fork springs , are they worth swapping out ?

anybody swap out their fork springs for progressive or another brand ? not looking to lower it , just wondering if there is an improvement in ride. wifes FXR seems to have a softer front end and rides extremely well where mine seems pretty harsh on the highway bumps

Old 05-15-2011, 01:58 PM
limp15000
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in an answer as well...

Old 05-15-2011, 04:39 PM
DutchBob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to consider the Ricor Intiminators also, they make a huge improvement in handling.

Check:

http://store.ricorshocks.com/default.asp

Old 05-15-2011, 06:42 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,530 Posts

The way the older forks are constructed you can change the oil viscosity without taking the forks out of the trees. I changed the oil weight from 5W to 10W (Belray) and noticed some better compression rates. The progressive direct replacement springs have a different coil windings rate which control the compression. Have I tried the springs? No. I got what I was after with the oil difference.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:01 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
The way the older forks are constructed you can change the oil viscosity without taking the forks out of the trees. I changed the oil weight from 5W to 10W (Belray) and noticed some better compression rates. The progressive direct replacement springs have a different coil windings rate which control the compression. Have I tried the springs? No. I got what I was after with the oil difference.
heavier oil gives softer compression or the other way around ? seems like this might be a cheap way to go if I can get forks that compress easier

Old 05-15-2011, 08:18 PM
jwright302
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DutchBob
You may want to consider the Ricor Intiminators also, they make a huge improvement in handling.

Check:

+1 I put these in my fork tubes along with the progressive standard length springs, I really like the results but since I did both at the same time I cant say which one made the biggest difference, btw I got a 20% discount (I think) on the ricor intiminators by using a coupon code from the HDforums site. I cant remember the coupon code off the top of my head but I searched for it on here and found it before I ordered.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:27 PM
motorcycle
Advanced
Default Motorcycle

Ridin 08 fatbob 30k, forks always seemed a little soft... This

winter put in progressive springs. Not lowered. Use screaming eagle

fork oil. You will love the feel and improvement. Money well spent.

Also added tru trac this winter,.. You will not believe the difference

in the ride of your bike, specially two up riding.

Best alarm clock is sun on chrome!!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:09 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DutchBob

Check:

The Intiminators and the Amsoil fork oil that they recommend will give you a way better front end. You don't need a coupon code for the discount, just call them and ask for the HDForums discount.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:15 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The factory springs on the newer bikes is progressively wound although I'm not sure at what rate. You can replace the factory spacers in the front if you want to increase preload. Since the springs are progressive this will make the spring rate higher and the suspension firmer. I wouldn't go with too much higher viscosity oil. Too thick slows suspension movement and will do nothing for a weak spring rate. Personally I prefer straight rate springs with RaceTech's emulators. I have never used the Ricor ones but I've never heard anything bad about them.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Quad D
Cruiser

I've been looking into this myself. I've found that a set of springs tailored to your weight and riding style costs the same as the progressives that are generic. Lets face it, we're not all 150 lbs. and ride casually. So a couple of places to think on...

http://www.racetech.com/page.aspx?id=59&menuid=67

http://www.traxxion.com/harleydavidsonforkrelated.aspx

They also have emulator pkgs.....maybe more than you need. I do like the fact that it's tailored to your weight though, couldn't possibly be a bad way to go. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I will definitely go this route.

Quick Reply: fork springs , are they worth swapping out ?