Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smaller solo seat questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:42 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts
Default Smaller solo seat questions.

As we speak, the wife is in her motorcycle safety class. So I will be wanting a smaller solo seat soon. I will or course be keeping my Mustang Wide Touring with passenger seat for those times we ride together, but since changing seats takes all of 10 seconds, I want a nice small solo seat to clean up the lines and slim down the bike for short trips when it's just me. I also like the idea of lowering my riding position an inch or two. So my question is this.......

Has anyone used any of these inexpensive solo seats they sell on ebay and JirehCycles. They are well under $50. I ran them on my Shovel and used the 3 inch springs, but on my Dyna I would just bolt it to the bike. Probably just drill a couple holes in the side of the existing front seat mount and let the back lay flat on the frame. Has anyone done this? I just can't see spending 200 bucks on a Lepera Bare Bones or Silhouette when I already have a $460 Mustang seat that I love for long trips. The links are to the seats I'm talking about. Have any of you Dyna guys run either of these seats, or anything even remotely similar on your bikes???

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000123a

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000123a

Old 05-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man those are cheap!

I don't know. . . I think if you're used to the comfort and quality of the Mustang, these may be a step down that you may find you can't get into. But then again, it's not that costly to try out. If you don't spend more than a half hour to an hour in the saddle each trip, this may be the way to go.

Not something I'd consider myself. My FXDF is my only vehicle, and I really value a good seat. I spend a lot of time in the saddle when I go for rides, and I need firm comfort. I spent good money on both a two-up and a solo Corbin, worth the investment FOR ME. I had a Mustang solo briefly, and I know that is going to be a better quality seat than this one.

Hopefully someone can chime in here with experience with this seat and say it's great. Sure would be a bargain value then!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 AM
kirk180
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^I can't chime in with any help either. Seats and comfort are something I take pretty serious. After hearing lots of members say how comfy the La Pera barebones was, I went ahead and got one. So now I have the Mustang Vintage for longer trips, and a bare bones I can pull off a couple hundred miles on easily. The money's easy to justify when you're sure you're doing the right thing.

Good luck.

Last edited by kirk180; 05-15-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out C & C Seats.... Love mine....

Old 05-15-2011, 11:05 AM
pete62conv
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you still have the stocker cut it down or take it to an upholstery shop to have it done. I did my own and it was easy. Best mod so far.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:54 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for the replies. I agree with your opinions by the way. I too take seat comfort quite seriously. Especially when the wifes on the back. Thats the reason and bought the Mustang Wide Touring. Its a great seat for long hauls. I'm just thinking maybe a "less comfortable" solo seat for around town would be the answer, if the price was right. I was stupid, I sold the stock Low Rider two piece seat years ago. It really made a good solo. Theres one on ebay I was thinking about bidding on as well. I was just hoping some of you guys might have tried one of these cheapys in the past. But seriously, for $34.99 brand new for the thicker of the two listed, I guess I can't really go wrong

Old 05-17-2011, 01:44 PM
PHA-Q
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a stock 08 superglide seat that is shaved way down that im looking to get ride of!!! $40 and its yours...

Old 05-17-2011, 07:18 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks PHA-Q, but I needed a 96-03 seat. I found the correct Low Rider seat on ebay for 22 bucks plus shipping. Which is cool because I sold my stock seat years ago for more than that!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:08 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BoGM.............You will like the lower skinnier seat. It will give you more of the bike feel.
I took the springs off of mine and replaced them with some rubber bumpers on the frame, now I can feel what the back-end is doing easier than before.

Now I just need a springer front-end

Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Yeah, your bikes where my idea came from. I liked the solo spring seat idea, but without the springs. I just couldn't pass up this deal on ebay. It's a complete, flawless MOCO Low Rider seat for cheap. I'm hoping I can resell the passenger seat for as much as I paid for the whole unit. The seller didn't do a great job in his description so virtually no one bid on the thing except me. And I like that the Low Rider seats have all the foam scooped out for a low seating position. I will always keep my Mustang for long rides and rides with the wife, but this seat ought to resolve the small solo seat issue I was having with out the Lepera Bare Bones price tag.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 05-17-2011 at 09:24 PM.