Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011 | 01:38 PM
sm0kediver
|
Road Warrior
Default Paint Question

I don't know squat about painting, but I have been thinking an off white panel on each side of my black tank would look nice. Can that be done (by a professional) without removing the tank? Or would the entire tank need to be removed and repainted?

Old 05-13-2011 | 03:14 PM
952dave
Tourer

The easiest and best way would be to remove the tank. Its just a couple of bolts and clamps so it comes off very easy.

Old 05-13-2011 | 11:14 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member

A pro can do it without removing the tank. He'll just charge you more.

Crazy

Old 05-14-2011 | 06:32 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior

An auto body shop painter would be used to doing small repair jobs. This really is not much more than a "repair" to a body shop.

A friend had this done but forgot to show the painter which way the badge went. It went on backwards. Take nothing for granted. Good luck.............

Old 05-14-2011 | 07:32 AM
sm0kediver
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by AFMM3
An auto body shop painter would be used to doing small repair jobs. This really is not much more than a "repair" to a body shop.

A friend had this done but forgot to show the painter which way the badge went. It went on backwards. Take nothing for granted. Good luck.............
Thanks. So what is that bike in your signature?

Old 05-14-2011 | 08:15 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior

It was a 2008 Street Bob insurance wreck. Front end is a mixture of Fat Bob and Hertiage Classic parts. Rear end is mostly 2010 Road King. Meant to resemble a 1958 Duo-Glide.

Old 05-14-2011 | 08:42 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Mind if I ask why you want someone to paint your bike without removing the tank? I'd think there would be greater chance of error by not just giving someone the tank to paint. (Read: more work/cost to mask the bike rather than just the small section on the tank that you want repainted.)

If your bike is fuel injected, removing the tank is simple but not as simple as just removing the two mounting bolts at the front and back of the tank. You'd have some wiring underneath your dash to unplug. Each plug is unique so there would be no question where they go for reassembly.

When I painted mine last year, I would have never thought to leave the tank on the bike. It just wasn't an option to me and doesn't sound like a smart option either.

Old 05-14-2011 | 09:53 AM
sm0kediver
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by AFMM3
It was a 2008 Street Bob insurance wreck. Front end is a mixture of Fat Bob and Hertiage Classic parts. Rear end is mostly 2010 Road King. Meant to resemble a 1958 Duo-Glide.
I like it. I was thinking Heritage Dyna Classic. Very cool bike.

Old 05-14-2011 | 09:55 AM
sm0kediver
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Mind if I ask why you want someone to paint your bike without removing the tank? I'd think there would be greater chance of error by not just giving someone the tank to paint. (Read: more work/cost to mask the bike rather than just the small section on the tank that you want repainted.)

If your bike is fuel injected, removing the tank is simple but not as simple as just removing the two mounting bolts at the front and back of the tank. You'd have some wiring underneath your dash to unplug. Each plug is unique so there would be no question where they go for reassembly.

When I painted mine last year, I would have never thought to leave the tank on the bike. It just wasn't an option to me and doesn't sound like a smart option either.
I was just trying to simplify the process (I'm a cheap ***) but maybe it wouldn't be simplifying. Thanks for the input.

Old 05-14-2011 | 01:54 PM
ak47dennis
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sm0kediver
I was just trying to simplify the process (I'm a cheap ***) but maybe it wouldn't be simplifying. Thanks for the input.
It doesn't Simplify or remove any cost they will have mask off the entire bike to protect it from white overspread even at that there is no gaurente it won't settle someplace!!

Quick Reply: Paint Question