Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Glide shift problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 PM
US66harley
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Super Glide shift problems

Here is an “ask the experts” question:

I have a low mileage 2009 super glide. I have had past problems getting it into first gear. This is what happened the other day.

· Rode to work, outdoor temp 61 deg.(no problems)

· Bike sat out in sun, outdoor temp 91deg.

· Went for a ride at lunch, outdoor temp 91 deg. (shifted up to fifth gear and could not get it to shift back below fifth)

· Bike sat out in sun, outdoor temp 91deg.

· Rode home after work, outdoor temp 91 deg. (could only shift fifth to sixth and back. Would not go into lower gears)

· Made it home in fifth gear and put in garage. Clutch was disengaging.

· Went out a few hours later and it went right into first, and thru all the other gears easily with out even starting it. Outdoor temp 76 deg.

Have been running Mobil 1 full synthetic in primary and gearbox. Switching back to HD fluids this weekend. Fluid levels look to be right on.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Old 05-11-2011, 06:59 PM
CobraEd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it still under warranty?? Bring it in ASAP before it goes off.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:50 PM
stokes
Cruiser

Had a similar problem on mine,a '97 FXD,a little different,I couldnt get back into first when the bike got hot.Turns out it was the connecting rod that went thru the primary.Mid controls,of course.There is a "tube" that the rod passes thru inside the primary.It was full of gunk,when the bike got hot,the rod would expand and bind up inside the "tube" causing the shifter to not return to the "in between" position.My mechanic just had to open it up and clean the rod and the tube.Said it was caused from the bike sitting unused for the year and a half before I got it.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:31 PM
US66harley
Tourer

I could only hope that was my problem. Unfortunately I have forward and do see any binding on that. I even went so far as to grab the lever coming out of the transmission to try to shift.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:09 PM
stokes
Cruiser

Does the shift lever return to the "neutral" and by neutral,I dont mean actual neutral but the lever should rest in a position where you can kind of move it up or down without actualy shifting to the next gear.It does that between all the gears.If that is the case then maybe something else inside is binding.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:12 PM
US66harley
Tourer

Originally Posted by stokes
Does the shift lever return to the "neutral" and by neutral,I dont mean actual neutral but the lever should rest in a position where you can kind of move it up or down without actualy shifting to the next gear.It does that between all the gears.If that is the case then maybe something else inside is binding.
Only between 5th and 6th which works fine all the time. Trying to go from 5 to 4th and its like its welded in. On cool days everything is fine. Took it out of the garge yesterday and it was fine for 3 or 4 blocks until it warmed up. again in 90 deg. weather. Then I had 5 and 6 and it would not budge below 5th.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:19 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,596 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Have you had any work done in the primary, i.e. oil change or clutch adjustment?

Trending Topics

Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you have your clutch adjusted wrong and its slipping a tad when cold causing the plates to expand when ridden at which point it doesnt disengage properly.
Check clutch adjustement and verify the cable not set too tight and change the trans fluid to 20w50 synthetic motor oil.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:15 AM
US66harley
Tourer

The only work has been a chrome primary cover which would include a fluid change. This weekend I am changing trans and primary fluids using OEM HD. While I have the cover off I will check the clutch adjustment and tension on the cable. Right now the cable does have a very small gap (maybe to small) at the lever. Good weekend for it, 51 and rainy.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:37 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,596 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Do the adjustment on a cold engine/clutch.

Quick Reply: Super Glide shift problems