Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011 | 06:40 PM
smokinfromshootin
|
Tourer
Default exhaust question

i just installed some new bassani pipes. i saw online in a video to replace the exhaust gaskets. i bought some new ones and when i put them in, i couldn't get the pipes in. i took the gaskets out and the pipes fit snug. there was no mention of replacing them on the instructions that came with the exhaust. will this be an issue or am I good?

Old 05-11-2011 | 06:45 PM
hddan502
Road Master

Not being an azz, but did you pull the old ones out?

Old 05-11-2011 | 07:41 PM
smokinfromshootin
|
Tourer

haha...yes, i figured that when i said i put the new ones in that it was assumed i had taken the old ones out, but i guess you never can be too sure with some people.

Old 05-11-2011 | 07:51 PM
hddan502
Road Master

O.K. lol, but had to ask. My first set of pipes, gaskets were still new so went with them. Just check them often, as they tend to loosen up the first couple of rides. My second set of pipes, I replaced the gaskets, I had to tighten run, tighten run a few times then ok, they felt like they did not want to fit. If you develop a new or abnormal deceleration, or shifting pop, they are loose and leaking.

Old 05-11-2011 | 07:56 PM
smokinfromshootin
|
Tourer

i have put about 150 miles on it and haven't experienced any lose nuts or bolts. i do have some popping deceleration on high rpms decel, but i talked to another guy with the same pipes and he experienced the same thing, so i am wondering if that has to do with it needing to be fine tuned. a power commander is on my radar.

Old 05-11-2011 | 08:05 PM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master

They all pop mine is got a sert and dynoed and i still get a pop at the top of second when i wind it out,if the are leacking bad you will hear it,dont put to much presure on the nut or you will crack the gaskets

Old 05-11-2011 | 08:13 PM
hddan502
Road Master

Yes, as RICHEMACK stated, do not over-tighten. Good catch!

Old 05-11-2011 | 09:46 PM
smokinfromshootin
|
Tourer

yea i used a torque wrench, so its on to the right specs.

Old 05-11-2011 | 10:38 PM
coop creek
Road Captain

I found the screaming eagle gaskets much easier to work with then the stock gaskets. The exhaust headers seat deeper into the ports with the flat SE gasket. I just remember a lot less fuss getting the pipes into the ports. No leaks either. (V&H BSS)

Old 05-11-2011 | 11:59 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by smokinfromshootin
i just installed some new bassani pipes. i saw online in a video to replace the exhaust gaskets. i bought some new ones and when i put them in, i couldn't get the pipes in. i took the gaskets out and the pipes fit snug. there was no mention of replacing them on the instructions that came with the exhaust. will this be an issue or am I good?
The woven wire type gaskets like HD uses, and probably the other types, have a tapered end that is supposed to face outward. If they are put in backward the exhaust headers won't fit very easily and not seal correctly.

Quick Reply: exhaust question