Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

axle tool: 28mm socket=18" crescent wrench haha

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I torque all the critical fasteners on my bike so I do not overtighten them. If you think about it the torque spec for the lug nuts on 4Runner is 84 ft lbs which is more than the bike. I have put them on with a breaker bar before and been at 75 lbs before I hit them with a TW. But I torque them because then the face of the rim is even all the way around with the face of the flange and you get better/straighter tracking due to less runout. So torquing fasteners sometimes has a lot of effects on systems than just keeping the fastener tight. The lug torque on my Yukon Denali was 140ft lbs

Old 05-11-2011, 04:27 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

larry- his bike is running good, havent been able to ride it much only got about 400 miles on it. only problem is there is an old CEL code i cant get rid of...

Old 05-11-2011, 04:33 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 831 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Pity the poor bstrd who buys a bike you maintained.
best part is I've been a dealership tech for 18yrs...so there's thousands upon thousands of em out there. I'm confident that I know what the fvck I'm doing, not ignorant or arrogant. : )

Old 05-11-2011, 05:47 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftace
best part is I've been a dealership tech for 18yrs...so there's thousands upon thousands of em out there. I'm confident that I know what the fvck I'm doing, not ignorant or arrogant. : )
Originally Posted by shiftace
...these are glorified tractors and anything more than 2 sticks and some bailing wire will damn near suffice to disassemble and reassemble one entirely
A true professional, with the years of experience you claim, could probably get many of these fasteners pretty close w/o a torque wrench, just from having done it so often...perhaps (even if those thousands were not Harley's or motorcycles at all). But why would he? To save the time it takes to set the torque wrench? Because you don't have a manual so you can't look up the torque? Com' on.

The axle nut is a critical fastener, one of the most critical. The periodic service recommended by Moco is to check torque on all critical fasteners. Most forum members who do some of their own maintenance probably know this. But I have seen so many threads posted here on fasteners that have been broken, rounded-over, stripped, or otherwise so fubar'd that a professional had to be hired to fix it.

Two sticks and some bailing wire, indeed. Reliable torque wrenches, suitable for an axle nut, can be purchased for as little as $15. So it seems irresponsible, to me, to hear this kind of advice from a supposed professional.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For all you Rocket scientist out there... go to your local MoCo dealership, grab a cup of jo, and hang out in tne service department. I'll bet you wont see a torque wrench one unless you go to the engine room.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,804 Likes on 3,166 Posts

55 to 60 lbs is about half the strength I use when arm wrestling. Isn't that about right?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:32 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Tim
For all you Rocket scientist out there... go to your local MoCo dealership, grab a cup of jo, and hang out in tne service department. I'll bet you wont see a torque wrench one unless you go to the engine room.
your probably right and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that a number of our members probably spoke poorly about the state of their bikes after getting them back from these same service departments. I trust the dealerships I have been associated with and know all the service personnel, but comments like these are why I am happy that I do all my own servicing. And my life means more to me then someone's idea of a short cut.

Maybe I have too much pride in my work... I am sure no one would want me to wing it when they show up in my ER

Old 05-14-2011, 10:37 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

This is starting to sound like rocket surgery.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:53 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,804 Likes on 3,166 Posts

If you've done it a "thousand" times and started with a torque wrench in the beginning, you'll probably get awfully close to the right torque just from experience with a crescent wrench. The guys in the Service Dept are a good example.

If only wrenching on your own bike once in a while, a torque wrench really isn't too much extra effort.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:15 AM
The Dean
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigmikaele
your probably right and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that a number of our members probably spoke poorly about the state of their bikes after getting them back from these same service departments. I trust the dealerships I have been associated with and know all the service personnel, but comments like these are why I am happy that I do all my own servicing. And my life means more to me then someone's idea of a short cut.

Maybe I have too much pride in my work... I am sure no one would want me to wing it when they show up in my ER
Well put. It's the lack of quality maintanance that is coming out of the shops that many on this forum have bitched about. Whats the big deal about using a cresent wrench on an exle nut removal that it needed a thread?

Quick Reply: axle tool: 28mm socket=18" crescent wrench haha