Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Dyna owner!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:16 AM
jenkinskc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice bike man. Congrats.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 AM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 831 Likes on 376 Posts

I've got a buddy with a white dx. Blacked everything else out except the tins and it looks pretty killer. Here's how I always feel about this situation. An FXDX is a Dyna SPORT right? So forward controls, slammed shocks, wide tires, ape hangers all negate the SPORT part of that bike. The same holds true to SPORTsters. Doing any of those things to one of those kills the best part of the bike....But hey like you said it's your bike and if you want to plant it in your garden you are free to do so. My feeling here is sell it for much more than you picked it up for, to a fxdx enthusiast and use that money towards a plain ol fxd and the rest of that cash for mods. A great bike gets appreciated and you wind up with the bike you want, modded how you want and even baby jesus is happy.

now the flaming begins.

did you get the other caliper and rotor in the deal?

Last edited by shiftace; 05-11-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:57 AM
CatEyeDallas
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a nice bike man. Dig those Sporties too! Oh, and just hang on to the parts you're taking off so you can switch it back if you decide to later. May bring more money that way. Doesn't sound like you're doing anything irreversible anyhow.

-Dallas

Last edited by CatEyeDallas; 05-11-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Kytann
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Speed Kills
It was the right price, and if I cared about carving corners, I'd have bought a Buell. And honestly, posts like this make it more enticing to start in on. I had no idea there'd be purists worried about a ten year old Harley. LOL.
I'm not exactly a purist. But think man, FXDXs are failry rare. They're probably at the all time low point in value right now, and if returned to stock form will only increase in value because of the rarity and the small but vocal group of people who like them. Think of the old XLCR. They were pretty much hated when they came out, but are worth a pretty penny nowadays.
Why start with something rare, and make it just like every other dyna, when you can start with something cheaper and more common, and probably already lowered.

As far as buells, they have there place, and can certainly carve corners, but are NOT all day comfortable like a Dyna. That's the beauty of the FXDX, it could do both.

Originally Posted by shiftace
An FXDX is a Dyna SPORT right? So forward controls, slammed shocks, wide tires, ape hangers all negate the SPORT part of that bike. The same holds true to SPORTsters. Doing any of those things to one of those kills the best part of the bike....But hey like you said it's your bike and if you want to plant it in your garden you are free to do so. My feeling here is sell it for much more than you picked it up for, to a fxdx enthusiast and use that money towards a plain ol fxd and the rest of that cash for mods. A great bike gets appreciated and you wind up with the bike you want, modded how you want and even baby jesus is happy.
This is just how I'm thinking on the matter as well.

Then again you've already bought the bike, so nothing anyone says will change your plans about it.
But I'm not going to just blindly say "good job" or "looks great" to any mods anyone does to a bike and then posts about it. Not my style. I'll give you my honest thoughts, and those are: for the plan you want to do to a bike, an FXDX is not the best starting point, in fact probably the worst.
That said, I've got nothing against lowered bikes, the slammed look is a good one. And what you've done with those Sporties does look pretty cool. I'm sure this new bike will look good when it's done, but it won't be an FXDX anymore.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Squirrel67
Cruiser

Looks like some one has already put apes and forwards on it and also ditched one caliper and rotor off of it, might as well slam it too.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:59 PM
djack
Road Master

really speed kills good lookin bikes, i really dig that black sportster, do what you what you want with the dyna, sheeeshe i didnt know harley made sportbikes, i rode gsxr`s now i cruise on harleys. and yes i`ve rode the gsxr`s all over the country and to daytona from ohio, no trailer queens here lol

Old 05-11-2011, 01:10 PM
bucket13
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Love the fxdx's.....trying to convert my fxdl into one, one piece at a time. It always pains me to see someone negate their best features....but as said earlier, it's your bike enjoy it.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Congrats - nice bike. Ride safe!

Old 05-11-2011, 02:01 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good!! Congrats and welcome!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Speed Kills
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The FXDX is actually the perfect start to my project. Why? Because it's in my garage, and I got a stupid deal on it. The lady I bought it from couldn't tell me anything about it. She insisted it was a lowrider, but I knew something was up from the black powdercoated everything (one more appealing point to start with an FXDX), and the gimungous back shocks. I didn't even know what the hell this thing was until I got it home and started doing my homework on it. But I really didn't care. THAT kind of deal. And no, I didn't get the other caliper. Take a close look at the black sportster, and you'll see why it definitely doesn't bother me. Haha.

I just don't get it to be honest. Sure, it might be a collectible. 20 years down the road. Who cares? If everyone thought about everything they owned that way, the car/bike hobby would suck. Horribly. But then again, you're talking to a guy, given the opportunity, would chop up a councourse restored '62 'Vette to build a gasser out of. A guy who's helping his friend cut up a PERFECT unrestored, unmolested '32 Ford tudor Sedan. Why? Because It's cool. Let someone else restore 'em. I'll be the guy y'all love to hate. I'm ok with that!

To be honest, I don't care to try to find an enthusiast to try to buy the thing, deal with another five 'tards trying to squeeze every penny out of the bike they're selling because the economy sucks, and start modding again. Been there, done that. I got my deal. FXDX parts will be on the shelf when someone else gets ahold of it!

And yes folks, pics WILL be posted after every mod. I'm a picture *****, haha.

Quick Reply: New Dyna owner!