Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used FXDL or new Sportster 1200?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:10 AM
staffybull
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used FXDL or new Sportster 1200?

I have been patiently awaiting the sale of my 2nd car in order to put a downpayment on a bike. I need to keep it within my budget and have narrowed it down to two options right now. The local HD dealership has a well maintained FXDL with 13k on it, or I could buy a new Nightster, my second choice. I am reluctant to buy the sportster as exeryone has told me I will want to move up to something more comfortable and powerful once I get used to the Sportster. I like the idea of the size and power of the 05 FX but am concerned about the miles on it. Apparently it was owned by a mechanic at the dealership (not the worst case scenario)

I am 170 5'10" and this is my first bike. I would appreciate any advice and thanks for your feedback in advance.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:17 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Living in CA, your options aren't limited to the two bikes that you are tossing around in your head, unless that particular local dealer's financing is the only way you can go.

You didn't mention prices, but for less money than the Sportster you can probably buy an '07 Dyna with less than 13,000 miles. I say '07 because of the 6-speed, 96" fuel injected engine and other improvements made in that year over the previous.

Sportsters are okay, I had one but barely rode it, it just didn't quite do it for me. My Dyna got me excited about road riding again, it was full size and something that I could actually take some pride of ownership in. It's just a whole different feeling than riding a "girl's" bike. Like my buddy used to say, "That bike looks small with you on it". He was referring to my dirt bikes, but the same holds true for other shorter wheelbased bikes.

Get a Dyna and you can ride it forever without regret. The only thing my Sportster did better was in the dirt or riding on deeply gravelled roads.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:25 AM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You didn't mention any prices, but as Hemi Orange stated make sure you check around, especially 07 and newer Dyna's. Unless your locked in at the local dealer I would do some internet seaching as I would bet you could come across some low mileage (1500 - 5000) bikes at a price point you could live with. Good luck to you.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:29 AM
Trabuco60
Banned

Go for the Dyna, you'll outgrow Sportster in the first year, My 06 FXDI is my first bike.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:46 AM
BigAlsRK
Road Master

Go for the Dyna.....you'll be glad you did.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:28 AM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

Sportsters are fun But you will really enjoy the ride of the dyna, If the 05 Dyna has had the
cam shoes upgraded to the new SE plate you should be good to go.
Quite a few changes from 05 to now on the dynas. I have had zero issues with my 05 FXDLI

Carl

Old 05-10-2011, 08:34 AM
PHA-Q
Road Captain

You will upgrade shortly after buying the (shorty).. Save that money and go for a dyna..

Old 05-10-2011, 08:54 AM
goblin127
Tourer

I'd go for the Dyna also. Once you out grow the sporty whats it going to be worth? I went with an older Dyna 03 I like carbs over FI I had the cam chain tensioner issue solved so I'm quite happy with my ride. No six speed but I like what I paid for it. And the gun metal blue pearl paint that year is my all time fave.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 AM
CMC
Road Captain

I've had both. I think it depends on what kind of riding you are going to do.

The nightster is a cool bike, and great around town and on twisty roads. I am not familiar with the exact Dyna model you reference but my FXDF is quite nice around town and it has long legs for cruising distance, with that 6 speed trans.

There are tons of sweet bikes on craigslist in so cal, so keep looking for what you want. For gods sake don't buy a new sporty though, there are always nice ones available used and depreciated on cl. Good luck to you.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:15 AM
PHA-Q
Road Captain

Im guessing you have bout $7k to spend...
If thats the case hit up craigslist, you will find an 06-07 in that price range,
I picked up my 06 sb for $7400 with just under 8k miles....... Be patient and it can be done

Quick Reply: Used FXDL or new Sportster 1200?