Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best gloves for riding?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 09:57 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Best gloves for riding?

thin leather gloves and heated grips.it will be the best investment,you will ever buy.i bought mine brand new off ebay for 85.00.best thing i have ever bought for my bike.esp.if you live in the north.BRRRRRRR

Old 10-24-2006, 10:43 PM
jimw411
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a pair a black leather gloves that are thinsulate lined from walmart for $10, I was too cheap to buy the $80 ones from harley so when i found some $10 ones that are thinsulate and actual leather i didn't hesitate. They are a little on the cheap side, and probably wont last more then a couple years at most, but in 50 degree weather they keep my hands nice a toasty, way better then my mechanix gloves i usually wear.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:56 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jaysonL

Honestly, I'd say that I'd sooner have cold hands than ride with gloves. I hate the feeling of having something between my hands and the bike. I must be a control freak. So, IMO, there aren't any good gloves. None that I've found.
Wow dude..I read your post and immediately thought you were from Florida, California, or Arizona. Then I see you're from PA...do you pack it in for the winter? Anyone in their right mind who lives where it gets cold knows better than when the temps dip below 50 degrees, gloves are an absolute must. If you can ride for any length of time in the cold weather without gloves...I gotta see it to believe it

Back to the thread...I have a nice pair of cloves with the thinsulate lining. They work pretty well down to about 40. This year I'm going to get the heated gloves...that should get me another 10 to 15 degrees.

Todd

Old 10-25-2006, 12:12 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, I'd say that I'd sooner have cold hands than ride with gloves. I hate the feeling of having something between my hands and the bike. I must be a control freak. So, IMO, there aren't any good gloves. None that I've found.
Actually good gloves give you better control. I used to drive circle track stock cars, once i got used to gloves i never went back.

Not to mention getting your kuncles hit with a rock or a bumble bee

Old 10-25-2006, 01:19 AM
hep0950
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out leatherup.com. They have some good products at some pretty good prices. I bought some chaps from them and a leather jacket that was $99 regular price and got it on sale for like $89. Also, check out ebay. You can get some good deals if you are careful.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:21 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: KeithB

Actually good gloves give you better control. I used to drive circle track stock cars, once i got used to gloves i never went back.

Not to mention getting your kuncles hit with a rock or a bumble bee
I'll second that. I'd much prefer to ride with gloves. When the weather is warm, I use fingerless...but the padding on the palms reduces vibration...and the leather actually gives me a better grip..especially considering my grips are billet style with very little rubber. At the same time, my winter gloves are a little bulky..but I've gotten used to them and feel like I can control the bike just as well as with the fingerless.

Todd

Old 10-25-2006, 09:02 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Well believe it or not, I've ridden home from work in the mornings 33 miles one way at 38 deg. On several occasions, with no gloves. Like I said my hands were more than a little cold. But until I find gloves that actually feel good while riding, I'll continue to freeze. Believe it or not. [sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]

Old 10-25-2006, 09:41 AM
misfit
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the HD FXRG Gauntlet gloves and I can't complain about them. Keep in mind the temps here in the Sacramento, CA area don't get much colder than the high 30's to low 40's.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:45 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Alot has to do with the leather. I used to work for a leather company and the better the leather at holding back the wind and keeping in warmth the better. When you're buying a jacket for show Lamb is best - softest and tought. Cow in next. Pig is cheapest.

Buying gloves is different - you want relatively soft but most important you want them to stay warm and be wind resistant. I bought unlined deerskin for $20 from H-D (they're not H-D brand, just bought them at the stealer) and they're just great. I use them all summer and into the winter. The deersking is tougher than the lamb, almost as soft and thick so it is super against wind and cold. I think it also stays dry well. I mean, those deers use it all year round. I think part of the thing is they are a little loose on my hand, which keeps a layer of warm air in. I used them two weeks to go from Freehold to Veniculum at 37 degrees, hour+ on the road then hour and a half right back ('sponsibilities you know), with no worries.

I got a pair of lined deerskins for the holidays last year and probly will use them when it's really cold. Can't see ever needing more than that.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:31 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out this post I just added. It was the best total solution for cold weather riding gloves for me.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_880938/tm.htm

John

Quick Reply: Best gloves for riding?