Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDX handling monster

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 04:47 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

contact Howard at motorcyclemetal.com
he is flat out the MAN when it comes to this. hell he is my GO TO guy... contact him and you will never look back i have never heard someone that runs one of his combo's and does not LOVE IT

Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 PM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

pretty much what joe said, but i dont have the brace or dampener, and mine handles like a sport bike... progressive rear and front suspension and metzeler 880's new mounts and poly bushings

Old 05-03-2011, 06:19 AM
creekhed1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how difficult it would be to take "Most of" the components from a new Dyna and drop them into an older FXR frame...'cause THAT would make for a NEW handling monster!

After spending a thousand miles on my 1992 FXR (after spending the last 3 yrs on an '08 FXLR) I cannot believe how the FXR BEGS to be leaned HARD. It feels Japanese!
I would LOVE to put a new Twin Cam, 6 speed tranny and modern electricals into one of these frames....now THAT would make for a NEW handling BEAST!

Old 05-04-2011, 03:07 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 473 Likes on 277 Posts

Years ago there was somebody making an FXR frame that accepted a twin cam...looked at the $$$ and ended up buying an FXDXT, taking it apart and putting it back together the way I wanted; for handling and performance. Now I realize I have an excellent performing Harley, but I'd hesitate to use the expression "sport bike"...depending on what you've ridden yourself...the Dyna will always be a heavy 2-piece bike with the two pieces held together with rubber; namely the engine/trans/swingarm/rear wheel and the rest of the bike...at least the FXR had the swingarm cleve blocks to help keep things in line but the twin-cam motor is definately a better performance platform. Just my opinion...I really like my FXDXT and would buy another Dyna in a hearbeat. Best brand on the market and most versatile bike HD makes for what I want to do.....

Old 05-04-2011, 06:05 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shrewgy
Sputhe Positrac, Race Tech Gold Valve kit, springs and fork rebuild, Ikon Suspension 7610 or 7614 rear shocks. Ok, since so many more have chimed in on this I agree that Howard at MotorcycleMetal.com is the man, he set me right on my brake set-up. The guy knows it all when it comes to setting up Harley for braking and handling, no joke. Urethane riser mounts, good bars and seat all help. Being comfortable on the bike inspires confidence.
and after you waste days just trying to get a hold of somebody at sputhe ( they dont do internet orders and dont answer the phone) , order true track , same money, same day shipping

Old 11-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Blouder
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
Years ago there was somebody making an FXR frame that accepted a twin cam...looked at the $$$ and ended up buying an FXDXT, taking it apart and putting it back together the way I wanted; for handling and performance. Now I realize I have an excellent performing Harley, but I'd hesitate to use the expression "sport bike"...depending on what you've ridden yourself...the Dyna will always be a heavy 2-piece bike with the two pieces held together with rubber; namely the engine/trans/swingarm/rear wheel and the rest of the bike...at least the FXR had the swingarm cleve blocks to help keep things in line but the twin-cam motor is definately a better performance platform. Just my opinion...I really like my FXDXT and would buy another Dyna in a hearbeat. Best brand on the market and most versatile bike HD makes for what I want to do.....
Bringing up an older thread but, after all you did Sharkey, do you wish you had done all that work on a FXR or maybe bought the Chopper Guys Twin Cam FXR frame? I ask because I'm about to head down the same road.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Lennyone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The only way is to take 300 pounds off the bike. Then it mitt stop and handle better.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:30 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 473 Likes on 277 Posts

"Bringing up an older thread but, after all you did Sharkey, do you wish you had done all that work on a FXR or maybe bought the Chopper Guys Twin Cam FXR frame? I ask because I'm about to head down the same road."

I wanted a bike that I could wander far from home on (and have). I also have a few friends that are HD mechanics; their opinion was that while the bike is buildable (one of them did build just that; a TC motor in an aftermarket FXR frame) it would not be my best choice. Service on the road, insurance and registration issues could be a pain. They were unanimous on using the TC engine for a reliable 100+hp performance platform...and 35000 miles later, the motor is still tight. I have spent a huge amount on weight loss; just got a lithium battery last month...but then it wouldn't be hard to spend all I have put into the bike just on paint and chrome...whatever gives you your rush...

Old 11-15-2011, 09:04 PM
voneville
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a handling monster. Chopper Guys TC FXR frame, Buell Forks, Ohlins in the back. Rear sets. I still dig the Johnny 5 head lamps but this is an old picture from about 2002 or 2003. I found it on the web but it was built and is owned by my sons godfather.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Blouder
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sharkey, thanks for the reply and the insight. You got some pics of your feather weight? Or a build thread?

Vonville,
That bikes looks AWESOME! Does he still have it and ride it? I'm surprised he didn't go dual disk brake up front. Is that a Storz rear cowl?

Quick Reply: FXDX handling monster