Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full size throw overs with supports

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:26 PM
KCLowrider
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full size throw overs with supports

I have an 05 Lowrider with rear turn signals relocated to the rear fender and detachable sideplates for sissy bars. I have been using a set of throw over saddlebags that are full size (not slanted) and was wondering what are some ways that I may be able to mount these either detachable or not. I have found some mounting systems on the internet just not really sure wich ones are any good. Saddlebag support brackets for Dyna models are slanted and do not work very well with full size bags unless there are some supports that I am not aware of. Thank you.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:33 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do your bags come into contact with your suspension? Dyna bags are slanted so they a Dyna bike.

Your current bags would have to be reinforced on the back to hard mount them, and they wouldn't require brackets anymore. If you found a way to do that, all it takes is longer bolts (just make sure the new bolts are an exact fit, you don't want them protruding into the fender well.)

I'd just buy new bags that fit your bike.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:38 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Most of the hard mounting commercial brackets like the EZ brackets sit the bags too close to the bike to clear the shocks if the bags are not either slanted or have cutouts for the shocks. You mentioned your bags are throw overs. Are they so expensive, or are you so attached to them that you simply have to keep them? If the answer is yes, you probably should just stay throw over. If the answer is no, sell them and get some large slanted bags and use the detachable brackets like the EZ brackets. Just pick a budget, there are plenty of bags in every style imaginable at every conceivable price. The EZ brackets are about $150. Cheap bags start at 50-60 and can go up to a grand for top shelf hand made bags. Like mentioned, some cheaper bags will still need a back support if you go with the quick release EZ brackets.

You can fab up your own mounts using what you have and "make" them fit, but I tried that a while back and I was unhappy. They just stuck out too far for my liking. Heres a pic of my very large bags sticking out far enough to clear Dyna shocks. If you look closely, you can see where I just took a razor and cut the throw over yoke right off.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 04-28-2011 at 10:49 PM.