Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust installed now weird smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:13 PM
AFHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust installed now weird smoke?

So I got the V&H Bigshots installed and they sound great!! However after the initial test run, when I pulled the bike into the garage I noticed smoke coming from the top. A friend of mine said that it was "anicee's" (sp), and that it is part of the new exhaust and will burn off. Does that make sense? I just want to make sure there is no exhaust leak etc... We used the stock gaskets because they looked fine, and the bike only has 300 miles on it.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:23 PM
artpe54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds to me like you have a leak. You should never reuse gaskets!

Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 PM
dsiltman
Cruiser

Put a new exhaust on my low rider this winter and it smoked a bit first ran it, it will burn out. Put a dab of oil in each jug through the spark plug holes and fire it up and watch for smoke out of the exhaust flanges that will tell you if you have a leak or not.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:50 PM
'10 Wide Glide
Tourer

Originally Posted by artpe54
+1 I would also change the gaskets

Old 04-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Los11
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AFHarley
So I got the V&H Bigshots installed and they sound great!! However after the initial test run, when I pulled the bike into the garage I noticed smoke coming from the top. A friend of mine said that it was "anicee's" (sp), and that it is part of the new exhaust and will burn off. Does that make sense? I just want to make sure there is no exhaust leak etc... We used the stock gaskets because they looked fine, and the bike only has 300 miles on it.
Your fine bro its just burning off all new exhaust do it are they chrome or black you always want to wipe the pipes totally clean before you run them also..

And you dont have a exhaust leak.... You usually want to use new gaskets but if they were in good shape your fine I reused mine..lol and for a leak you will know it when you run the bike inside like your garage away from the outside wind take some tissue papper and put it by the exhaust ports watch you dont burn yourself of course and if the tissue paper start blowing you have a leak but I am sure your fine cause that smoke is normal for a new exhaust..

Old 04-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Los11
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by artpe54
Really what makes you think he has an exhaust leak from the info he gave us?? Other then your assumption becuase he reused gaskets..

Old 04-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Bdobb
Cruiser

My dual Rineharts smoked and had a burnt smell at first also. That all disappeared within a few days of riding.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:52 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same thing when i installed my big shots. stopped smoken after then days end. i also thought it was odd. i just figured it was a new exhaust buring in the fiber glass and tape on the baffles.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:27 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Got to work out that "New Exhaust" smell.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 PM
AFHarley
Cruiser

Sorry bout that... they are chrome. Keep in mind the bike sounds perfectly fine and loud... Its beuatiful!!! I got paranoid and calld V&H.... They confirmed the factory lube and said it should burn off pretty quick.

So just so its not a complete waste of a thread here are some pics:

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust installed now weird smoke?-exhaust3.jpg   Exhaust installed now weird smoke?-exhaust4.jpg   Exhaust installed now weird smoke?-exhaust5.jpg  

Quick Reply: Exhaust installed now weird smoke?