Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

preload change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 02:45 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Changing the preload will change your ride height. It will do nothing to improve the cheap shocks and poor spring rate that comes from the factory. Bottom line if you want a better ride you will need a better suspension.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:41 PM
craig11dyna
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 Dyna Super Gluide and I am a little confused here and I think it's because of the diagram and wording in the manual. The diagram shows a cam step chart starting at 3 then 4 then 5 then jumps to 1 then 2. I would think you could just turn the preload cam counter clockwise all the way but by the chart you would be going to position 2 if you did that. You guys with a user manual will know what I mean. The manual states turn the preload cam counter- clockwise until it stops. Counting one at the stop position , turn the spanner clockwise and count each position to specification (refer to table) So I just turned it 2 clicks to get to the 5 position which is 225-255lbs which is good for me and a passenger. What I am asking is when I go all the way counter-clockwise am I at the one or three position?

Last edited by craig11dyna; 04-26-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:22 PM
UJUSTLOST
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by craig11dyna
I have a 2011 Dyna Super Gluide and I am a little confused here and I think it's because of the diagram and wording in the manual. The diagram shows a cam step chart starting at 3 then 4 then 5 then jumps to 1 then 2. I would think you could just turn the preload cam counter clockwise all the way but by the chart you would be going to position 2 if you did that. You guys with a user manual will know what I mean. The manual states turn the preload cam counter- clockwise until it stops. Counting one at the stop position , turn the spanner clockwise and count each position to specification (refer to table) So I just turned it 2 clicks to get to the 5 position which is 225-255lbs which is good for me and a passenger. What I am asking is when I go all the way counter-clockwise am I at the one or three position?
Looking at the diagram in the manual, I believe that the figure with the steps and the preload numbers under them is supposed to be taken as it would wrap around the shock. So 1 would be the position furthest counter clockwise and 5 would be the furthest position clockwise. It would be like cutting out that linear picture and wrapping it around the shock so that the 2 position touches the 3 position. But I could be totally wrong too.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:13 PM
craig11dyna
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UJUSTLOST
Looking at the diagram in the manual, I believe that the figure with the steps and the preload numbers under them is supposed to be taken as it would wrap around the shock. So 1 would be the position furthest counter clockwise and 5 would be the furthest position clockwise. It would be like cutting out that linear picture and wrapping it around the shock so that the 2 position touches the 3 position. But I could be totally wrong too.
I think you are correct and that is the way I adjusted it. I went all the way clockwise which should be position 5. It is a confusing way for them to display it though.