Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob rear fender cracking issue : solutions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:37 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street Bob rear fender cracking issue : solutions

There are two threads running on this issue :

this one

and

and this one
  • Some are proposing removing the sparto tail light
  • Others suggest moving the license plate to a side bracket
  • Others just replace or repair the fender

I would like to keep a dedicated running / brake light on the rear fender AND have the brake / turn signals continue to do their work. So I'd like to find a lighter weight tail light.

I'm not happy about the prospects of moving the license plate. I would probably rack my shins on a horizontal side mount.. ad as I travel state to state quite a lot, and don't want the tickets associated with a vertical mount.

What are others doing? Any other options to be explored?

Can we reinforce the fender?
Find a better way to attach the tail light / license plate bracket?

What else?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:50 AM
HDHornet
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happened to me as well and I'm just waiting on my new fender that HD is replacing under warranty. I doesn't happen to all of them so I'm going to keep it as is this time but if it happens again then I will try something else.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:13 AM
FenceSC
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to look at some method of vibration isolation. Maybe a thin sheet of rubber, cut to fit. I will post something when I do it.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:42 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

+1 on vibration isolation. That should do it. OR another thought: Pull the fender and reinforce with fiberglass on the inside before it cracks. I know that really sucks to have to do that to a new fender but adding material should help.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Basic
Road Captain

I want to know if there are other taillights out there that would fit. I've thought about ordering an old style sparto and trying to come up with something.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:24 AM
hd_sob
Road Master

none of my bizness, but it would seem the root problem is a defective fender, not the light or plate. if it won't support those without breaking, good luck putting a passenger or other cargo back there...

Old 04-21-2011, 08:44 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,333 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_sob
none of my bizness, but it would seem the root problem is a defective fender, not the light or plate. if it won't support those without breaking, good luck putting a passenger or other cargo back there...
I agree... I've had my '09 for about 2 1/2 yrs now with 13.4K miles (yea, I know, I'm not riding it as much as I should) and the rear fender is fine.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:59 AM
fenderzig
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FenceSC
I'm going to look at some method of vibration isolation. Maybe a thin sheet of rubber, cut to fit. I will post something when I do it.
Any thoughts on putting some Dynamat back under the fender? It is a sound dampener used in car audio that reduces vibrations. Other companies have similar products. Some examples are FatMat and Second Skin. It's fairly expensive so there's also the alternative of simply using peel-and-seal roofing tape. It is similar in theory to Dynamat but significantly less expensive.

I don't know that this would fix anything but if vibrations are part of the issue, this might help.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:01 AM
'10 Wide Glide
Tourer

Originally Posted by hd_sob
I wold have to agree

Old 04-21-2011, 09:14 AM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are those of you that are having this problem able to get the repair picked up by a dealer under warranty?

If not, I wonder if it would do any good to send a letter to HD - signed by all those who had this problem, and try and find a resolution that way?

Quick Reply: Street Bob rear fender cracking issue : solutions