Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sparto light removal queston?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

i would be interested in the sparto light, if you decide to part with it

Rob

Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 PM
maxxod
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed mine a while back.....but its is back in place now.....when removed, leaves a big hole in the fender...its not just bolt holes and wiring holes....I bent my license plate around a water pipe on the side of the house and mounted it across the bottom of the fender, covering hole, using the mounting holes for the tail light and plate bracket. Also the turn signals will continue to function as brake/turn signals when the tail light is removed with no issue.....

Old 04-20-2011, 09:03 PM
fenderzig
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a good thread of reference:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ar-fender.html

I know that when you disconnect the tail light and remove it, there will be a fairly large hole in the rear fender plus the mounting bolt holes. I've seen some guys take HD medallions and just place them over the hole and then put some kind of decorative bolt in the old bolt holes. There are some pics on the forum somewhere but I couldn't find them quickly. The rear fender looks a little busy this way but it removes the tail light which prevents the fender from cracking.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:49 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

body pannel push pins are small fillers like this

what you could also do is use one of hog rida's plate covers. rivit a back plate over the stock hole, drill that for his plate cover and pop that on there! would look clean easy to do

Old 04-21-2011, 05:56 PM
tcabello
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRK5892
body pannel push pins are small fillers like this

what you could also do is use one of hog rida's plate covers. rivit a back plate over the stock hole, drill that for his plate cover and pop that on there! would look clean easy to do
oh ...those jigamajangs...got it...in fact I have a couple of assorted packs in my tool box...thanks

Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

What kind of mileage do these cracks normally start happening?

I washed my bike last week and noticed a horizontal line across the license plate. Wiggled it a little and it almost snapped off. Ended up drilling a couple holes through the bottom of it to keep it from breaking all the way off. Now the vibration that caused the plate to crack will probly be transfered to the fender.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:42 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

Man, I have a few post on this subject and they all seem a little disturbing! I am glade I ordered and replaced my rear fender with the Chopped Fender kit from the MoCo, some people say this is an expensive fender upgrade. But, looking at all the problems with the stock set up, I would have to say it was money well spent!

You are able to order the fender buy itself and I believe you can also order it color matched. If you install a side mount plate, you don't need the whole kit because the Street Bob is already set up for the fender, all you have to do is remove the center light wires (reroute the light wire for the tag light and remove or reroute the Brake light if you use a side mount brake light also) and reroute the turn sigs down the inside sides (with strut bracket) of the fender, that is all I did.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 AM
tcabello
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blueangel73
Man, I have a few post on this subject and they all seem a little disturbing! I am glade I ordered and replaced my rear fender with the Chopped Fender kit from the MoCo, some people say this is an expensive fender upgrade. But, looking at all the problems with the stock set up, I would have to say it was money well spent!

You are able to order the fender buy itself and I believe you can also order it color matched. If you install a side mount plate, you don't need the whole kit because the Street Bob is already set up for the fender, all you have to do is remove the center light wires (reroute the light wire for the tag light and remove or reroute the Brake light if you use a side mount brake light also) and reroute the turn sigs down the inside sides (with strut bracket) of the fender, that is all I did.
ultimately that's what I will end up with (I hope)... I just didn't want to spring for a new fender...I'm hoping that after I receive my new fender from harley, I will have the dealer install the fender without the sparto light and I will have a local body shop fill the holes and repaint...I'm guessing that might be a little less expensive than buying a complete fender...perhaps I'm wrong ...I just wanted a temporary fix until I can get the holes filled ...

I like how clean your rear fender looks...very nice...i hope mine will end up like that

Old 04-22-2011, 10:01 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tcabello
ultimately that's what I will end up with (I hope)... I just didn't want to spring for a new fender...I'm hoping that after I receive my new fender from harley, I will have the dealer install the fender without the sparto light and I will have a local body shop fill the holes and repaint...I'm guessing that might be a little less expensive than buying a complete fender...perhaps I'm wrong ...I just wanted a temporary fix until I can get the holes filled ...

I like how clean your rear fender looks...very nice...i hope mine will end up like that
That's where I started my plan with my original fender. But my quotes went from $350 to $500 for the work. Not only do you need the holes filled you need the notch at the fender end too. That's why I went with a new fender, fender with paint from MoCo is $350 if my memory serve me correctly! Then you can sell the old stuff and make some money back.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:31 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's a thought - if HD is replacing your fender, why not see if the dealer will get you the chopped fender instead of the stock one and just pay the difference. That way you get the fender you want and HD doesn't have to replace another fender should it happen again..........seems like a win-win for everybody.

Quick Reply: sparto light removal queston?