Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 03:02 AM
docsg
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help With Check Engine Light

I may have posted this in the wrong section but I need some help with my 05 FXDLI. I have 9500 miles on my bike (will need the 10K service soon). Last night I pulled and then reinstalled my plugs (one at a time) just to check their condition. Today we were on a ride and I noticed my check engine light started coming on at 65 - 70 and would go off when I dropped the speed below 65. We pulled over and I checked the plug wires and noticed I had not seated the rear plug wire all the way over the plug even though the bike was running okay. I pushed the plug wire down until it seated and the check engine light did not come on again. However, now when I turn the on the ignition, the check engine light comes on for the 4-6 seconds which is normal, goes off then comes back on for 4-6 seconds and goes out again. This happens whether you start the bike after the first diagnostic check or you simply turn the key on and do not start the bike. I have the service manual for the 05' Dyna models but it only says to check the Dyna Electrical Diagnostics Manual which I don't have and probably wouldn't understand if I did. Has anyone has the problem of the check engine light coming on twice during startup? Suggestions or solutions? Is it okay to ride? I'm 50 miles away from the dealer and would like to wait until the 10K service to check it out if possible.

This is a great forum and the information I have gained so far has been invaluable such as information about chaps, motorcycle jacks, oil, etc. If I need to move this post to another category just let me know. Thanks--

Old 10-22-2006, 03:21 AM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help With Check Engine Light

No need for the dealer.
All you did was create a fault, which the diagnostic center is now telling you has cleared itself, but is still in the history. It will eventually
quit, after like 50 restarts.
You can clear this yourself, follow this link.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_327240/tm.htm

DougJ

Old 10-22-2006, 12:39 PM
soup48
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem which went away, like Dougs Dyna said, it will go away after about 50 start-ups.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:37 PM
docsg
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks DougsDyna and soup48. Followed your suggestions and cleared the code. I knew I could count on the forum members for help.