Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Few Questions - Stator and Indy Shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Upgrayedd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Questions - Stator and Indy Shop

I have been having issues with the electrical system on my bike for about a month or so. The first thing that happened was the bike got herky jerky on my way to work and then just all of a sudden died. It didn't have enough power to turn back over, so I made a knee jerk reaction and replaced the battery (which isn't the worst thing to replace every few years anyway). Once I replaced it, the bike fired right up and was fine for a couple weeks. Then, it started doing an occasional sputter where it acted like it might stall going down the road, but then it would recover. I rode it one night last week and the headlight went from bright to dim over and over while I was riding along. Every time I have ridden in the past few weeks, I have plugged the battery into a battery tender and it always requires a while to charge back to 100%.

If I remember correctly, the error code my bike is showing now is B1006 Accessory Line Over voltage Instruments. [I will need to check for certain once I get home.] Last year, I added LED turn signals to the front and back, and the dealership put the wrong load equalizer on my bike. Last month, I installed the correct one. Earlier this year, I was getting error codes for the left and right signals. Those seem to be gone now.

So, here are my questions:

1. Does it sound like a stator issue? I just want to be sure before I buy any parts.

2. If it is the stator, how likely is it that it went bad due to the extra load of the LED signals?

3. I called the local dealership yesterday, and they told me it will be almost a month before they could fit me it. Because of this, I am considering trying to do the work myself since I wouldn't be able to ride between now and then anyway. It may be slightly above my comfort level, but I will have plenty of time to give it a shot. However, I would still like to find a local indy shop. I am new to the Hampton Roads area (Penninsula side) in southern Virginia, and if anyone could recommend someone other than the dealership to whom I could take my bike when in need, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:55 AM
midnitewolf
Advanced

there's a couple of things you can check real quick
1 would be battery terminals make sure they are tight and clean
and also check the other end of the ground cable for the same thing
also check the plug to the voltage regulator

2 with it running put a volt meter across the battery if it's charging
it should read around 14 to 14.5 volts

here is a linc to testing voltage reg and stator
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...age-issue.html

Old 04-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Upgrayedd
Novice

Originally Posted by midnitewolf
there's a couple of things you can check real quick
1 would be battery terminals make sure they are tight and clean
and also check the other end of the ground cable for the same thing
also check the plug to the voltage regulator

2 with it running put a volt meter across the battery if it's charging
it should read around 14 to 14.5 volts

here is a linc to testing voltage reg and stator
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...age-issue.html
Thanks for the quick reply and the link. Hopefully it ends up being something easier than replacing the stator.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Squirrel67
Cruiser

Sound like some of the symptoms my 06 super glide had when the stator went out. Headlights dimming in and out and rough running. If your bike is a 2006 model I would definitely say its the stator, bad design for that year mine came completely apart, they changed the stators to welded from screwed together late in 06.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Squirrel67
Cruiser

One more thing if your bike is a 2006 and you have to tare into it for a stator, buy a baker inner primary bearing and replace the stock one, I had to take mine apart twice in one summer.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:02 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If it is a 2006 buy a rotor stator kit rotor 40356-07 stator 30017-07

That is the welded rotor but both come in a kit if you check with your dealer they should have it or PM a user on here "Mudpuddle" and he might have the part number. If you order it from Zanottis I think it is about $200.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Squirrel67
Cruiser

KBFXDLI is right it was the rotor that came apart that destroyed my stator.Its been a couple of years since it happened. I also wouldent recommend charging the battery and riding it, mine had a bunch of chewed up metal shavings from the magnets and copper wire in the primary.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:34 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine never failed but my dealer was doing my IPB so I got the new one while they were in there. Most of the 2 piece rotors did not fail. But some did.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:15 PM
HELDVR
Cruiser

Finally, at reaching 13K, it appears my '06 is acting up and at the PCB Rally none the less...... Electrical issues and noice coming from the primary! Tearing it down tonight. Ordering the IPB and puller today and will change that at the same time! Pics to follow.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:18 AM
HELDVR
Cruiser

Turns out the stator was fine but I wanted to upgrade anyways? (Already had 40 amp stator/rotor kit) Noise was in my head!! LOL Well the problem escalated to where I could actually get a faulty test indication and turned out to be the regulator!