Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 06:44 PM
animalnoll
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handlebar question

Here is the deal. I have a set of Todd's Cycles Fatbob bars mounted with LA Choppers Risers, but there is a small problem. The bars are not knurled so they will move a bit. They tend to come back towards me and I just push them back forward to where I want them. It takes a little force to move them, they are not just free flowing everywhere. I have tightened the risers down as much as I dare without busting something. However, this is getting to be a little tiresome. Any (easy) solutions??

Old 04-19-2011, 07:33 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Handlebars

Try wrapping them in adhesive tape and then dusting the tape with rosin. I don't know if it will work but it's worth a try.
Also there is a stretchy electrical tape that sticks to itself that might also work.
If all else fails, you can take them to a machine shop and have them knurled.
Make sure everything is SECURE before leaving the garage.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You could possibly use a sharp center punch and hammer to add some grip to the risers, but the correct way is to add knurling to the handlebars like mentioned already.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:57 PM
cormech
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tke a piece of inner tube and wrap the bar with it where the riser clamps on. It might help to pary a quick coat of primerto the bars under the wrap then spray the wrap before clamping down. If you spray the primer make sure you clapm it down while still e wet. Also don't wrap it to thick or you will have a gap in the riser clamp.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:16 PM
lkohan7373
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try liquid electrical tape but I would get them knurled. Safest way to go. Don't need them coming loose on a long ride.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:19 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

I've done the center punch knurling for similar problems, but someone else on this forum suggested cutting a beer can to make little shims to make the clamp tighter. I believe he just cut pieces for the bottom clamps.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Get'em knurled... don't screw around with glue, or goo or tape

Old 04-20-2011, 12:00 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Another thing that you could try is Locktite green 290 or Permatex's similar geen 29000. They are wicking, so you just apply them after cinching the clamps down, just put it in the clamping areas and it will wick into the clamping surfaces.

I haven't tried it for your particular purpose, but I did use it on my single point mounted floorboards that had two shiney chrome surfaces that mated and were held together with a single bolt. No matter how much I tightened them they still rotated when I put too much foot pressure on the boards.

I cleaned and roughed up the surfaces a bit with emery cloth, assembled and applied the wicking Locktite.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 AM
bikridr69
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

here's my 2 cents. when i was younger and used to ride bmx freestyle bikes. the neck and handle bars sometimes stripped. i would put 2 pennies between the neck and handle bars. the copper bends and flttens out, and the texture on both sides gives a little grip to the metal. ive never done it for motorcyle handle bars. but the principal is the same, and it only costs 2 cents.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:16 AM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mark your bars (position) then take them off and drill a small hole in one side of your risers (sized for your ball bearing) and then place a small ball bearing in the top of the risers, bolt them back up all done, easy, it will not move then.

Last edited by ==ShaDoW==; 04-21-2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Handlebar question