Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic fuel injection problem or piece of crap in jet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:10 AM
dynalow07
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic fuel injection problem or piece of crap in jet?

Had a first experience with my 2007 Dyna Low EFI the other day. Had about an hour and a half ride and stopped by one of the local Tiki Bars in our area. After a couple cold ones, I started it up, took my hand of the throttle and it immediately died. No idle. After the third try I just kept a bit of gas on the throttle and off I rode. Each time I had to stop and let off the throttle she died. After a few miles and coming back on the to the mainland, drawbridge was up. Found a nice shaddy spot, turned it off. Upon restart (no more than five minutes) it ran normal once again. Idle there, no problems all the way to the barn. Rode the next day....no problems.

MY problem is......I can't stand things that 'fix themselves'. My question is, who believes the EFI is starting to act up, who believes it was just a minor glitsch in the onboard computer fuel sensor, or who believes it was probably just a piece of crap in one of the injectors? I know the holes are tiny and lazer drilled these days. Or maybe someone has another wag. This is my first fuel injected bike and just curious. Bought some Sea Foam motor treatment hoping for the later problem, but haven't poured it into the tank yet. Can't hurt....but there is this cloud hanging over my head each time I get on. Not like the old days where one could just adjust the idle screw and limp it home. If it dies for good, I'm dead in the water.

Last edited by dynalow07; 04-19-2011 at 07:12 AM. Reason: change avitar
Old 04-19-2011, 07:20 AM
dynalow07
Intermediate
Default Here's the bike in question.

Here's a recent pix of the bike in question.

Attached Thumbnails Electronic fuel injection problem or piece of crap in jet?-image00001.jpg  
Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Try 4-5 oz of seafoam to a tank of gas. You might get lucky. Did the bike throw any codes?

http://www.hdtalking.com/diagnostics...dtc_codes.html

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 04-19-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 AM
dynalow07
Intermediate
Default DTC Codes

Hey man...thanks for your input. Your list of the DTC codes is more than I have here. But to answer your question, when I pulled them up that day, (NONE) came up on the readout. I would have thought that the onboard computer for the EFI would have corrected the mixture if it was a speck of dirt.....but maybe it can't make those corrections fast enough. Yep....have the Sea Form sitting on my workbench....heading down to fill it up and will go with recommended 1 oz per gallon. Second fuel issue in a year....but other than that, warming up to EFI. Thanks again.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 PM
slider1156
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok I hate to be an *** but either understand computer controlled bikes or go back to a bike that has a carb. Idle is controlled by numerous sensors, Get a service manual and and troubleshoot it yourself. It sounds like you might have a lazy Idle contol motor or its really dirty. Anyone can throw parts at a bike and maybe get lucky fixing it. Other option is find a good indy repair shop, usually cheaper and you can learn something from them.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:10 PM
reded
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slider1156
Ok I hate to be an *** but either understand computer controlled bikes or go back to a bike that has a carb. Idle is controlled by numerous sensors, Get a service manual and and troubleshoot it yourself. It sounds like you might have a lazy Idle contol motor or its really dirty. Anyone can throw parts at a bike and maybe get lucky fixing it. Other option is find a good indy repair shop, usually cheaper and you can learn something from them.
Wake up on the wrong side this morning?

Old 04-19-2011, 02:15 PM
HDHornet
Road Warrior

If you don't want to help the guy out don't answer at all, you don't have to be a dick. That'a what this forum is for, we all know to buy a service manual.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like this was an intermittent issue. Those can be difficult to diagnose.

I'd suggest running some injector cleaner through it and make sure that your gas is fresh.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:05 AM
dynalow07
Intermediate

Thanks for all the input. Filled it up yesterday and added 5 oz of sea foam, rode about 100 miles with no other issues. And Slider.......this is a forum used to discuss Dyna's and share ideas. Maybe you just woke up on the wrong side of the bed brother, but ease up a bit. I was only trying to get some opinions. In alot of cases, a few heads are better than one.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Take some wd40 on a rag (Do NOT spray in Throttle body) and wipe out the throttle body, The FI is sensitive to carbon buildup around the flap that causes the idle control to go funky. I clean mine every filter cleaning. Be sure and get both sides of the flap by opening the throttle. You will be surprised at how cruddy they get in there.

Quick Reply: Electronic fuel injection problem or piece of crap in jet?