Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct Size Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Jbizzle
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Size Windshield

Hey guys, some of you may have read my thread in the road trips section about an upcoming trip we have planned to the grand canyon from louisiana. While getting stuff last minute stuff purchased for the trip, my husband is going to be purchasing a windshield for his 2010 WG. After we have made the decision to get a windshield, now comes the issue of figuring out which one will be best for him. I apologize if this subject has already been covered, but I did a search and I could not find anything about correct size windshields in the last month or so.

He is currently having a hard time choosing between the 14" compact hd windshield, the 18" sport windshield from hd, and the 16" national cycles windshield. I know it all depends on the amount of riding and length of rides as to which windshield people choose. I personally have an 18" Hd one on mine and I love it.

There will be far more miles put on the bike for long road trips than there will be trips around town. And I'll say this much also, I hate to admit it, but we are fair weather riders...anything below 50 means the bikes stay parked. (Thankfully we live in Louisiana and there are only a few of these days)

So If anyone has some insight into which windshield is going to offer him the best protection at 70-80 MPH without making his bike look cheesy, please speak up...thanks.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:59 PM
lkohan7373
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want maximum protection during longer rides go with the 18. It is a personal choice but during longer rides you will get less buffeting from the larger windshield. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:27 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taste in windshields varies a lot... so take everything people place in this thread with a rather large grain of salt.

I've had HD windshields, fairings, and sport shields. I'm really not one to enjoy riding much with out a windshield -- it's fine for around town, but if I get out and go long or do much riding at highway speeds, I prefer a windshield.

The HD windshield kind of wrecks the line of the bike in my opinion. I want to look at the bike and SEE THE BIKE... not the windshield. At the same time I want enough protection so that I'm not hanging on for dear life to my handlebars when I'm at highway speed.

My personal preference is Windvest Windshields. I've owned 3, one on a 2003 Indian Chief, one on a 2005 Wideglide, and one I just purchased for my 2011 Street Bob. Their quality is excellent, and this is a small manufacturer so their service is far above the norm.

I especially like the fact that the Windvest doesn't stand out and SCREAM windshield... that you see the bike first then later notice the windshield. I've taken the bikes I had the Windvest on some long rides - the longest being a coast to coast ride on the Indian back in 2004. I also rode my Wideglide many times back and forth from Colorado to California. They block enough of the wind so I don't feel beat to death at the end of the day, yet I still feel the wind and the experience.

Here are some pictures of my bike, still with the stock bars + the windvest windshield.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:57 PM
crazyanimal
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My wife has a 2011 streetbob and I have a 2011 superglide and we both have the HD 14' windshield and it looks great and works great.It can be adjusted up and down the forks to your perferance,to us this is the windshield to go with.

Mike.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,941 Likes on 4,139 Posts

You want clear and want to see over it. Use a full face helmet for the rest. Sorry but all windshields are either cheese or why bother....cheese for trips , why bother for? Why bother. Tinkers' is cute.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-16-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:38 PM
tinker1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grf000
You want clear and want to see over it. Use a full face helmet for the rest. Sorry but all windshields are either cheese or why bother....cheese for trips , why bother for? Why bother. Tinkers' is cute.
It works for me. As I said - I've ridden tens of thousands.. if not a hundred thousand miles behind a windvest. It suits me.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,941 Likes on 4,139 Posts

Originally Posted by tinker1
It works for me. As I said - I've ridden tens of thousands.. if not a hundred thousand miles behind a windvest. It suits me.
Easy guy, I like yours and did not class it in the why bother, Looks a lot better then mine (mine was free with bike?) My ridding buddy has one like yours and also like you says it does a great job without all the buffeting wind steer that you get with a 19" like mine.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Garyk
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=tinker1;8198480]Taste in windshields varies a lot... so take everything people place in this thread with a rather large grain of salt.

I've had HD windshields, fairings, and sport shields. I'm really not one to enjoy riding much with out a windshield -- it's fine for around town, but if I get out and go long or do much riding at highway speeds, I prefer a windshield.

The HD windshield kind of wrecks the line of the bike in my opinion. I want to look at the bike and SEE THE BIKE... not the windshield. At the same time I want enough protection so that I'm not hanging on for dear life to my handlebars when I'm at highway speed.

My personal preference is Windvest Windshields. I've owned 3, one on a 2003 Indian Chief, one on a 2005 Wideglide, and one I just purchased for my 2011 Street Bob. Their quality is excellent, and this is a small manufacturer so their service is far above the norm.

I especially like the fact that the Windvest doesn't stand out and SCREAM windshield... that you see the bike first then later notice the windshield. I've taken the bikes I had the Windvest on some long rides - the longest being a coast to coast ride on the Indian back in 2004. I also rode my Wideglide many times back and forth from Colorado to California. They block enough of the wind so I don't feel beat to death at the end of the day, yet I still feel the wind and the experience.

Here are some pictures of my bike, still with the stock bars + the windvest windshield.

What height did you install? Where does it clamp, on the bars?

Old 04-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

I tried the HD quick release 18", but didn't like looking through it so I've cut it down to 16 so I can look over it. After messing around and adjusting the angle I'm pretty happy with it. You need to adjust it forward quite a bit to reduce the buffeting, but once you get it right it's pretty neutral and quiet behind the shield.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:34 PM
tinker1
Road Captain

GaryK: What height did you install? Where does it clamp, on the bars?
I got the 14" height.

The windshield can be adjusted 1" up if you like .. in my pix it's at the standard height.

One thing that I avoid is having the line of the top of the shield in my field of vision. With a lot of the standard shields the top of the shield lines right up with my direct line of sight.. when that happens I find myself stretching to look over the top, or slouching down to look through the shield... which makes for an uncomfortable ride.

The shield mounts to the handle bars easily and works fine with the integrated risers on the FXDB. It can be removed by taking off a couple of allen head screws, but I almost always have it on. Buffeting is minimal. It keeps the wind off my chest enough so that the ride is easy.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this though. Having a windshield vs not having one is one thing... but then if you want one, pretty much everyone is going to have a different opinion. This is the one I like.

Quick Reply: Correct Size Windshield