Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 miles service

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011 | 10:40 AM
RJC
|
Intermediate
Default 1000 miles service

I have a 2011 Fat Bob and wondering how difficult is it really to do a 1000 mile service? I am getting close to it and when I checked the dealer they wanted $350.00 to perform. I haven't really worked much on bikes but did lots engine tear down on automotives. I know they change all 3 holes on oil.

I was getting ready to purchase a service manual and see if it covers all areas they perform.

Do you think I should take to them for the first service or attempt to do it myself?

Thanks

Old 04-15-2011 | 10:42 AM
sparepartsracing
Banned

How long have you had the bike?

Old 04-15-2011 | 11:35 AM
RJC
|
Intermediate

Picked it up in February, Weather hasn't really been that great for riding here. We went on a 400 mile trip last Saturday.

Old 04-15-2011 | 12:08 PM
tinker1
Road Captain

check your owner's manual, page 175. There's the list of scheduled maintenance - If you can do all or even some of that on your own, then you're ahead of the money game.

Old 04-15-2011 | 12:22 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

Id invest in the service manual, do it yourself and save some $$$$

For the 1-k service one Harley shop quoted me $320.00, another was $240.00.
I had an Indy do it for $150.00, I did my own lubes.

I personally dont have any faith in stealerships.

Get the manual and do everything yourself that your comfortable with. Having a good torque wrench would also be a good idea

edit:
The service manual does list what required items to check at each maintenance interval.

Last edited by ynots; 04-15-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2011 | 12:39 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior

The dealers charge outrageous prices, but while under warranty, it's probably a good idea to use them. Once you get some miles on it, find a *good* independant HD mechanic and you'll pay a lot less.

Old 04-15-2011 | 12:44 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

or: Find a dependable Indy to do it and keep the receipts

Old 04-15-2011 | 01:24 PM
tinker1
Road Captain

I don't have much faith in the wrenches that work for the dealers. They check out several bikes at once - working concurrently on them to make better money, and probably don't pay a whole lot of attention to any bike in particular. I sincerely doubt that they do anything but the fluid changes, as the rest is mostly inspections... and it isn't as if you can watch to see if they do everything they are supposed to.

Bottom line is, if this is something you can do yourself, then you'll probably do a better job than the dealer will.

Also, I've been told many times by the dealer and the mechanics, that if you do the service yourself and keep records + receipts, that you're fine as far as the warranty goes.

Old 04-15-2011 | 03:21 PM
RJC
|
Intermediate

I have all tools required, Just haven't toyed with bikes in awhile. About 20 years ago was the Last time I took one apart to include top end and trans. It was on an old Yamaha 360 dirt bike. I did talk to the dealer and they said if I kept all receipts and service records that it would not void warranty.

My wife has a 2005 Fat Boy and I might as well learn to do my repairs.

I was wondering how must dealer really performs other than fluid changes. Being the bike is as new as it is, I dont see to many thing that should be out of wack.

Thanks for your response.

Old 04-15-2011 | 04:12 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

I do all periodic services. Take a pic of the bike and speedo. Then a picture of the torque wrenches and other tools along with the service manual and critical fastener list, oil/filter then I put it in the file for the bike.

The amount that I have saved over the years has paid for the lift, tools, filter/fluids, and even a bike or two since I have been doing this from the late 50's on.

When I'm done I know that every thing was done and done correctly. You can not say that about all the HD dealers. Many have posted with the problems after a service. Every thing from scratches to the service was not even done but charged for. A recent post of this forum about the secret marking of the fasteners which proved the dealer didn't do the work.

Honestly the only skill needed is to know the correct tool to use and turn left to loosen and right to tighten. With the service manual the knowledge about the tools and specs is in there to read. It does not have to be in your head. So the skill level and knowledge needed is not beyond any breathing functioning adult.

Some dealers do a very good job of going through everything that is required. Mine throws in the 1K for free when he sells the bike because he is concerned that a bike he sales is right. It is Reiman's HD in Kewanee, Illinois. One of the best there is. Others just get paid a lot to just do the fluid and filter change.

Last edited by lh4x4; 04-15-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 1000 miles service