Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled the windshield, Much Better!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:58 AM
AirPirate
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob moore
I have an HD windscreen on my '98 Wide Glide. Was getting alot of buffeting. Put some Memphis Shades lowers on. Better, but need to fine tune them a little.
Good product.
Bob, I also have the '98 WG with HD windshield, and the buffeting is driving me crazy. It's like getting b*tch slapped repeatedly... I mean... I think that's what it's like

Let us know how you make out with the "fine tune", and if it isn't too big of a hassle, post a picture of your setup.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:45 AM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made a milk run after dark last night and was reminded of just how many bugs are in the air when its warm out. Yikes. Glad I have my shield.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:12 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,154 Likes on 1,794 Posts

My little Slipstream Spitfire windshield is well below my line of sight...I can look down and about a foot in front of my wheel without it cutting in.

I have a very bad lower back....so the relief it gives me on the highway at speeds....is welcome. I'm 6'5"...so on the highway..my body is like a parachute catching air without it, so with it...I don't have to lock my body as hard..which doesn't beat on my lower back as much.

Also at highway speeds, the wind deflection helps keep smaller flying objects from dinging me in the face.

Takes me about 28 seconds to put it on, or take it off....so shorter rides around town and backroads...I can take it off if I feel like being more open.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:41 PM
oestek
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a few more rides, I can appreciate the reduced pressure in the torso, so I'm going to give it another try with the shield, but adjusted down lower. The buffeting was so bad I had blurry vision and felt nauseous... but maybe I'll find the sweet spot yet.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:14 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

I moved my shielf as far down and angled the bottom as far ou as possible. Thats he best spot I have found. Still helps i the cold and rain, etc.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Punchsmack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's as simple as "shield or non-shield". I feel you have to factor in the type of helmet you're rocking out there too. With my full face on, I don't care about pebbles, bugs, or rain. Heck, they'd hit the windshield just the same. Actually, I can wipe off the bug splat on my FF while riding, you can't do that with your windshield.

If you're rocking a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet and going highway speeds, that's a tough call. A windshield may save your life (rock hitting your jaw at 60 MPH).

I want to try a shield, but I guess I'll need to buy a used one first. Until then, FF for Highway speeds and 3/4 for around town riding. As far as the wind, I don't mid it at all.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:47 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rjsimmons
Took my shield off for the first time today and within 1/2 mile of the house I was beset by a six-legged demon that left its claw marks in my cheek. An hours ride netted me at least 10 bugs and about as many rocks from cagers.

The shield goes back on for tomorrows ride to work...
I hear ya. My friend rides a fatboy with no shield. Says he hates them but is always complaining about the cold and things hitting him in the face. To each his own I guess. Had a piece of lumber hit my shield on I95 one time. It stays on.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:58 PM
PraySilence
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up a shield over the winter, so it's my first time ever riding with one, and I gotta say I'm loving it. It's easily detachable, but so far I've just had no desire to take it off. I used to always need the FF helmet on the freeway, and even then my neck would be killing me after about 30 minutes. Now I can do 70 easily with a half helmet and barely even feel it. Just seems to work, but I did have to move it down a bit to avoid this weird sensation that made it almost hard to breathe. Hard to explain, but I've felt the same sensation jumping out of planes or walking through downtown Chicago at times. (Seriously--it's like the wind was coming over the shield and right up my nose.) Hopefully just an up or down adjustment will help...

Old 04-11-2011, 04:09 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Good point about the helmet thing. I don't wear one, but I could see where the wind would hit me wrong if I did.

The only windshield problems I have is when the wind comes around the bottom sides of the shield, hits my hips, and then runs right up into my face, via the torso. Most times I don't care, because it cools me off. Only really sucks in the cold. Still better to me than no shield in the cold.

I must admit, I have become a shield *****. It's ugly, but I just seem to take it off less and less...

Old 04-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Bandit29
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a long ride this summer and after reading this I'll be looking for a use touring windshield.

Quick Reply: Pulled the windshield, Much Better!