Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Big Shots. Head pipe gets cherry red, normal ya or na.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:03 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Right now i am just running the stage 1 download and open ac. The bigshots have qq baffles which i though would also help with baffling as uposed to the stock open baffle. If the weather cooporates i will take it for a good test ride and then check the plugs. As for right now, withonly about 30 min of running time there doesnt seem to be any white marks on my plugs. They look normal i would say.

Getting the pc-v in a week or so.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:09 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac69
Right now i am just running the stage 1 download and open ac. The bigshots have qq baffles which i though would also help with baffling as uposed to the stock open baffle. If the weather cooporates i will take it for a good test ride and then check the plugs. As for right now, withonly about 30 min of running time there doesnt seem to be any white marks on my plugs. They look normal i would say.

Getting the pc-v in a week or so.
The temps you posted are well below normal.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:22 PM
dynabobster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Normal for an air cooled engine sitting in a dark garage idling for 5 minutes. Throw a fan on it and check it. Give it a couple of twists and see them turn orange/yellow. Not to mention the paper thin header tubes the after market uses. If the header pipe is blue, it was red at one point.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:32 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dynabobster
Normal for an air cooled engine sitting in a dark garage idling for 5 minutes. Throw a fan on it and check it. Give it a couple of twists and see them turn orange/yellow. Not to mention the paper thin header tubes the after market uses. If the header pipe is blue, it was red at one point.
I also blame it on it idling in a garage with an air cooled engine. What do you mean by give it a twist?

Old 04-08-2011, 09:32 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Checkout the TFI tuner module. Looks cool, and seems easy to add fuel. Will not take fuel away, but it has 3 ***** like a carb, and isn't very expensive. But I'd have to say that if something gets to be 600-700* F. It is going to glow. Seems pretty simple to me.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:46 PM
gts500
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have big shots and I never noticed the pipes get that red... but I never had it idling in a dim garage either. I did put the TFI on mine and really like it.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:19 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by O-Town D
from P69:
"Also are you running any fuel managment? Also about the plugs. What would be a sign of it running lean. Would they be chalky and white?"

Here is a pix of my plugs after 1K miles since I swapped the header pipes (from cat to no cat), and added the Rushes and XIEDs - front cyl on the left, rear cyl on the right. The insulators are definitely a tad "white," the side electrodes show "off-white", and there are some carbon deposits on the threads. On my old FXR with the T-header, cam, modded carb and hi-flow A/C, the plugs were just a little more tan in color than what these plugs are, and it ran great. Based on my previous experiences, I expect my F-Bob would realize some performance improvements and run better with a tuner, but that'll have to wait until I do a cam change. For now, the bike seems to run ok just the way it is, although I am sure some of the posters on this forum would differ on that.
Those plugs look spot-on to me.

These days of modern unleaded fuels with detergents its not so easy to read plugs. Best bet is to ignore everything except the base ring - the ring at the bottom of the threads the electrode is welded to. You want an light even layer of black all the way around, no bumpiness to the black (too rich) or less than 3/4 of the ring covered (too lean).

Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Also about the plugs. What would be a sign of it running lean. Would they be chalky and white? Just off the top of my head.[/QUOTE]

Check out this site....http://www.4secondsflat.com/plug_chart.html Compare your plugs to this and you should be able to tell if you are running to lean or not.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:40 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member

bobnehoc thanks for the plug site. i will check mine later today to see if i can tell where they fall. looking at all those plugs , probaly will be hard to tell which one it is. i never was good at reading pictures.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:36 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny, I was never good at reading, pictures always worked better for me....

Quick Reply: Installed Big Shots. Head pipe gets cherry red, normal ya or na.