Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone enable the :Engine idle Management" feature on their Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:00 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Unless I am mistaken, all HD's with an ECM have this feature, I know my 05 does and there is no way to shut it off. It happened often in stop n go traffic before installing the PC III, hasn't happened since.
It is simply a way to protect the motor.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 PM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was on by default? i don't remember looking at in in my TTS setup,

Last edited by ==ShaDoW==; 04-08-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-08-2011, 08:34 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Up to early 08 it had to be enabled by the dealer, most would do it once for free even on a used bike. In late 08 all the bikes with throttle by wire was said to have this enable ability (and disable) in the owners manual without dealer necessity.

I chose not to have my 07 enabled. From what I've read it was primarily designed to cool the rear cylinder to prevent the rider's thighs from getting too hot. While it would help in doing this, the problem is it does not kick in until the engine is a very high temp, and if that is the case I would personally want to either just turn my engine off or somehow get moving to prevent damage to the front cylinder which is still running hot. The front cylinder has no connecting cooling fins to the rear so it's on it's own.

I have been told that there is another (not so publicly documented) ECM enabled proceedure that is always on and is never disabled (and also depends on leaving the throttle alone at idle) and that is when the engine reaches a certain temp the mix is changed and the idle speed is lowered causing just a bit lower heat generation. It doesn't sound quite as radical as the Parade Mode (which sounds a bit like the old single cylinder Ducatis). Rather it is a definite notice in idle speed dropping and the engine sounding kinda like a long duration cam was installed. I will try to track down the source since I know how to reach who told me about it.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by R_W_B
Up to early 08 it had to be enabled by the dealer, most would do it once for free even on a used bike. In late 08 all the bikes with throttle by wire was said to have this enable ability (and disable) in the owners manual without dealer necessity.

I chose not to have my 07 enabled. From what I've read it was primarily designed to cool the rear cylinder to prevent the rider's thighs from getting too hot. While it would help in doing this, the problem is it does not kick in until the engine is a very high temp, and if that is the case I would personally want to either just turn my engine off or somehow get moving to prevent damage to the front cylinder which is still running hot. The front cylinder has no connecting cooling fins to the rear so it's on it's own.

I have been told that there is another (not so publicly documented) ECM enabled proceedure that is always on and is never disabled (and also depends on leaving the throttle alone at idle) and that is when the engine reaches a certain temp the mix is changed and the idle speed is lowered causing just a bit lower heat generation. It doesn't sound quite as radical as the Parade Mode (which sounds a bit like the old single cylinder Ducatis). Rather it is a definite notice in idle speed dropping and the engine sounding kinda like a long duration cam was installed. I will try to track down the source since I know how to reach who told me about it.
Not sure where you got all that, but it does not seem to be true, I certainly never asked for it to be enabled, yet it is on mine. It is enabled by default on all ECM bikes as I understand it. I do not think the dealer can turn it off either, it is to protect the motor, a dealer would be foolish to disable it.

The rear cylinder tends to run hotter as it does not have direct airflow like the front does, so it shuts it off to allow the front to more easily dissipate the heat while not generating more heat.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:03 PM
dtone72rss
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with tinker

Old 04-08-2011, 09:07 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

OK, I finally found some info from the MoCo on this. In 2007 it became an option that you could get a free reflash from the dealer.

Harley-Davidson is offering a free, dealer-installed software upgrade called the Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) for all 2007 and 2008 Touring models. On 2008 model Touring models produced after December 3, 2007, the EITMS is already installed and ready for you to activate using a simple throttle activated switch. When you are stopped and at idle, simply push the throttle forward (closed) to roll off position and hold. After approximately 3 seconds, the cruise control indicator will flash either red (disabled) or green (enabled). Repeat the procedure to toggle between the two.

During hot idle, or when the motorcycle is off-throttle and running at hot temperatures, EITMS shuts off fuel to the engine’s rear cylinder, leaving it to idle on the front cylinder only. Without combustion, the rear cylinder and exhaust header will begin to cool, bringing relief to the rider (and passenger) soon after. Once the rear cylinder cools to a predetermined temperature, or as soon as the rider accelerates, both cylinders resume operation. And by maintaining constant rpm during rear cylinder “shutdown,” transitions between one and two cylinder operation are nearly seamless.

EITMS is purely for rider comfort. When it activates and “shuts off” the rear cylinder, it’s not because the motor is overheating. It’s designed to reduce the heat radiating from the rear cylinder to the rider.

Once an appointment is made, the EITMS software reflash can be performed for free by any H-D dealer, usually while you wait. If, for any reason, the rider does not like the EITMS, it can be returned to the previous mapping for free.
For information on installation of EITMS, see your H-D dealer.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:40 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On dyna models EITMS is available but turned off by default. You can turn it on if you have a SEPST or TTS system or I'd guess a dealer could turn it on for you.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:37 AM
evanstock
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foxster
On dyna models EITMS is available but turned off by default. You can turn it on if you have a SEPST or TTS system or I'd guess a dealer could turn it on for you.
Yep. This information is in the owners manual as well.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 8541hog
Not sure where you got all that, but it does not seem to be true, I certainly never asked for it to be enabled, yet it is on mine. It is enabled by default on all ECM bikes as I understand it. I do not think the dealer can turn it off either, it is to protect the motor, a dealer would be foolish to disable it. .... .... ... .....
Originally Posted by 8541hog
OK, I finally found some info from the MoCo on this. In 2007 it became an option that you could get a free reflash from the dealer.
... ... .... ... ... ....
Hey 8541hog, I've seen your exhaust video, you've got some nice sounding pipes. Anyhow all I know is what I've read and been told by riders with yrs of experience and additionally two separate dealers told me that prior to late 08 the Parade Mode was disabled by default and 'most' dealers would turn it on for free. I personally called my dealer's service manager and he said they would turn it on for free. I can't imagine him bringing the bike in for free if it did not need done. But there are numerous other threads on this forum (and others) stating the same as I previously posted.

Addtionally I did get the 'lower idle closed loop rich mix' link from my friend and did read it. After reading it appeared to me that the only part of this being separate from the one cylinder parade mode is that it is always enabled and (if enabled) the Parade one cyclinder mode is next in line. But they both depend on leaving the throttle alone or else the ECM resets back to open loop.

Keep in mind this link is about more than just this characteristic, it's also about selling a wide band solution to the issue which I did not get into the validity of that.

I personally do not feel parade mode is going to benefit the front cylinder that much. It could serve as an alarm that you now definitely have some high heat but I would not want to continue running my engine in Parade mode. All kinds of things can happen in a high heat scenario. Even if there is no cylinder scoring, sensors can start to break at extreme heat conditions. If the CPK etc breaks you are stranded. Anyhow that's my take on it.

Here is the slow idle link I was referring to at the end.
http://sales.nightrider.com/2007-HD-...vior_b_12.html

Old 04-09-2011, 07:34 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Didn't realize people were that interested in this. Good overall description is:

The EITMS system was developed to reduce heat buildup during prolonged idling times and controls heat buildup in two stages:
1 - Mode 1, AFR enrichment
2 - Mode 2, Skip Fire/Rear Cylinder shutoff

Mode 1 will be activated under the following conditions:
1 - The engine temperature exceeds 142 deg C (Sportster 230 deg C)
2 - The engine RPM is less than 1200RPM

Mode 2 (Big Twins only) activates if Mode 1 is active AND:
1 - The engine temperature exceeds 155 deg C
2 - The vehicle speed is less than 1-2 kph

Sportster temp is much higher due to location of the sensor

Quick Reply: Has anyone enable the :Engine idle Management" feature on their Dyna?