Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Trak for a Dyna Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 03:04 PM
FlyinJim
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Trak for a Dyna Fat Bob

Finally got this thing on after some cussing. Front one goes on easily. The back one would be easier with the rear tire off, but all I had was a floor jack so I had to struggle. I took the turnbuckle off and that gave a better shot. With my 7 year old daughter turning the motor mount bolts on the other side of the bike I was able to line up the brake side mount. . got it
For the other half of the bracket (the bracket that goes behind the motor itself) what Im trying to do is support the motor with the floor jack to line up the holes with the motormount so that the new ones will go in. For some reason i can do this with the bottom bolt, but then the top one is a stinker. I get the bolt started, it's moving. . but tight. I can tell the angle is right and that it's not stripping. .hmm. I back it out and it's backing ok. . tighten up some. . hmm. Id put locktight on it so it had some lube to go in. I tighten up on tyhe bolt and get all the way in within 1/8" of being tight. The freakin allen head rounds out. ^%$!!. I had been using an allen socket. These work ok for most things but when something is giving you trouble you get a better feel with an allen wrench. I should have switched but I was impatient. If the wrench isn't all the way against the back of the bolt in the key way, you stand a chance of rounding it out, especially on a stainless steel bolt. (Stainless is softer)

I called up True Trak and tried to get a new bolt sent out to me. I live in Los Angeles and the shop is just North of me 30 miles in the Valley. The guy I'm talking to asks me a few questions, we're trying to figure out why the bolt was hard to turn. His best guess is that the motor mount is already starting to develop a twist in it from torque - just the kind of thing the True Trak is supposed to prevent. Kind of shocking, since I'd just bought this '08 with only 6000 miles on it 2 months ago.

Oh well, looks like another lost weekend waiting for the new bolt. But check this out - the guy at the shop says "Where exactly do you live?" I tell him and he says "That's not too far, I'll bring it over tomorrow morning" (Saturday!)

The next morning, I'm down in the garage pulling the old bolt out when he pulls up with his Lady. He looks at my mess and was kind enough to say I'd done a good job getting pretty close He filed down the starting edge of the new bolt, jumped under my bike and put it in with a key wrench for me! Like a Dr makin house calls. I tried to give him some money for dropping by, especially when I found out he didn't live anywhere near me, but he wouldn't have any of it. How's that for customer service?

Anyhow, I've been riding the bike since the install - World of Difference. The 1st time I rode this bike home, I thought it had a flat tire it was so vague in turns and crossing surfaces. Now the frame feels tight and the roll rate is much more dependable and predictable. It feels like a motorcycle is supposed to. With a Fat Bob's big front tire, I'm betting our bikes need this much more than most other Dynas. Unexpectedly, the bike even shifts better and comes off of a stop better since the whole bike is just tightened up more.

I'm usually a bit of a cynical bastard, rarely a fan boy, but I'm pretty happy with this thing and the folks that came by and helped me get it on the bike. If you're having trouble with the install, give the shop a call. The pictures that come with the kit didn't do much to help me at 1st. I had to sit down there and look at the bike, the pictures, the bike until it finally made sense. It goes in a tough spot to work in. But it was way, way worth the hassle.

BTW it was the pictures here on this board that helped me figure out how the thing went. Thank you to the guys who went this way before me.

Jim

Last edited by FlyinJim; 04-07-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:53 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow ... great testimonial Jim ... glad you finally got it installed ... kudos to True-Track Inc for that kind of customer service ....

R/
'Chop

Old 04-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And I thought good customer service was a thing of the past! Glad you got to the fruits of your labors.

For anyone else trying this, it sounds like you were supporting the engine with your floor jack while the bike was on the sidestand. This could have caused the torsion, or skew in vertical alignment. Would have worked better if you had put the bike on the lift and used a separate scissor or bottle jack to support the engine while it was verticle.

It do ride better - don't it!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:51 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

That was a great read and Kudo's to the True Track crew!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Romeo
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you polish the stainless hardware in front Jim? This is what I did to mine. Just took a few minutes, and even today it looks as shiny as the day I did it:

I realize few will ever see the rear one, but since I was already pretty dirty from polishing the first one:

I totally agree with what you say about the True-Track's performance. When I first got my new '10 FXDC, I was riding down a road that had multiple cracks running down the center of it. I thought holy crap! This thing is sure squirrely! Nowhere near as stable as my old '69 XLCH. After the True-track install, I hardly notice those same cracks.

Matt

Last edited by Romeo; 04-07-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Rustyrider
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Been thinking about this myself...Do you notice any different vibration? And..I wonder if my chin spoiler would go back on with the true-track.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Just Enough
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed the True Track on my 08 Low Rider and love the new solid feeling and responding chassis. The only added vibration I feel is when I chop the throttle and decelerate. It is by no means objectionable. I do have the original rubber isolators in my bar mounts. Solid mounted bars like Street Bobs might feel some additional vibes with the True Track.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 AM
aclundwall
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustyrider
Been thinking about this myself...Do you notice any different vibration? And..I wonder if my chin spoiler would go back on with the true-track.
I wondered the same thing. The pic above is a pretty good one, shows the front TT mount pretty clearly... I'm going to print that and take it with me out to the garage for some investigation. Is your chin spoiler the HD one?

(edit). ...looking again at the pic... The front TT mount bolts to the bike in the same way the bracket for my chin spoiler does....I don't think I can have both....

Last edited by aclundwall; 04-08-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:26 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good post.

I ran back and forth to the garage to check my bike. It looks like my Jaggs 10 row cooler with the fans behind it aren't compatible with it, unless I make some very long and ugly extensions to the cooler/fan arrangement in order to fit them all.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:58 AM
Rustyrider
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aclundwall
I wondered the same thing. The pic above is a pretty good one, shows the front TT mount pretty clearly... I'm going to print that and take it with me out to the garage for some investigation. Is your chin spoiler the HD one?

(edit). ...looking again at the pic... The front TT mount bolts to the bike in the same way the bracket for my chin spoiler does....I don't think I can have both....
My chin spoiler is an HD.

Quick Reply: True Trak for a Dyna Fat Bob