Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Trak for a Dyna Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:13 AM
panic_fan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratbob
And I thought good customer service was a thing of the past! Glad you got to the fruits of your labors.

For anyone else trying this, it sounds like you were supporting the engine with your floor jack while the bike was on the sidestand. This could have caused the torsion, or skew in vertical alignment. Would have worked better if you had put the bike on the lift and used a separate scissor or bottle jack to support the engine while it was verticle.

It do ride better - don't it!
I agree. I tried to do the install using a small floor jack while the bike was on the ground. I wrestled with the back mount for a little over a beer and a half....so roughly 10 or 15 minutes, before I got fed up with lying on the ground. I decided to jack the bike up off the ground to make it more comfortable. Then I used the small jack and a block of wood to support the motor and everything lined up on the first try. Lifting the motor straight up while the bike was leaning to its side was causing just enough skew that the holes didn't line up.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Flyinjim: Thanks for the good story and information. Products can be sold by anyone...Customer service is one of the things that separates a good business from a bad one. Sounds like True Track has a handle on it... Good to know.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey FlyinJim,

Great write up. Nice to read about great customer service. Sounds like the TT improved your ride significantly! The biggest complaint I hear with stabilizers (TT and others) is an increase in vibration. Did you notice any?

Old 04-08-2011, 01:48 PM
greggreen
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts

I recently bought an 02 Low Rider after not owning a bike for twenty years. It didn't seem to handle as well as I thought it should. (My last bike was an 83 FXR. I know I never should have sold it.) Anyway, I put a TT on the Low Rider. It's like a different bike. Should be the first mod anybody does to a Dyna IMHO. Seemed like it had a little more vibe at first then settled in after 50 miles or so. Worth every penny.

Last edited by greggreen; 04-08-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:35 PM
FlyinJim
1st Gear
Default I did learn about that!

RatBob

Yeah I started out with it on the side stand, but I did get to wondering if that was skewing things. I loosened up the bottom bolt until it was just started. A piece of 2x4 and a book the size of the manual underneath the kickstand levelled the bike out and I tied it off with a tiedown to one of my dirt bikes to keep it from falling over on the right side. Just like somethin from Jackass! I tried to buy that aluminum bike lift that was on sale at harbor freight, but they were out of em. so this was funky, but it worked. I tried tweakin the motor in the frame with a wood lever, still tight. Glad we finally got the thing in there, but it was definately fighting the mount.

Romeo - You bet I polished it 1st! I was real glad I saw your write up before I did this, your pictures were the ones that unfogged me as to where the thing was supposed to go. I'm a Fire Capt at an oil refinery, so I took the thing into the machine shop here and put some heat on it with the polishing wheel. Glad I did, thanks for the idea

Rusty/Big Daddy

It feels. . different, it just feels tight like it should to me now. I havn't noticed anything that I didn't like vibration wise. Shifting feels more clicky now, less delay then a whump like before. I havn't gotten it up to 90 on a highway yet though.

I'm really glad one of my buds from work tipped me on to this problem. It was kind of vague to diagnose at first. Like I said it felt as if the back tire was low or something. I wanted to be happy about the bike cause I'd just paid 12 grand for it, but i just was hard to get s ure feeling for what was going to happen next in a corner. I was going through corners wider than I would because I just didn't feel right unrolling the bike? It felt like I couldn't whip it much cause something was floaty? Next I was thinking maybe the front end was a bit loose - no fall off was fine, no clunking FE bearings when braking and they weren't too tight.

The first couple times I had my wife on the back of it it felt like she was bouncing around back there and wrong on the weight. I thought maybe she was rusty, but when I turned to look at her she was just sitting on it normal. When I was telling this stuff to my buddy at work he said that with a passenger is when it's most noticeable and what the cause was. That was his biggest clue into figuring out what I was talking about. (Dealerships and others looked at me like I was telling them how I'd met some Aliens on the way over)

I'm just really glad I got this figured out, it makes a world of difference to me riding the bike now. This FB is my 1st Harley, though I've ridden all kinds (no Gold wings! ) of other types of bikes all my life.

Next step - Bike has center controls. Needs forward ones. I was thinking about the Kuris cause I dont want to pull the primary off and remove the old shift point. My only worry is that I drag the left footpeg sometimes now in some turns. So far havn't dragged the pipe on a right. I don't ride super aggresive, but I do ride. I'm worried that the forward controls will hit the street even earlier. Anyone know for sure? If so I wonder if I can figure a way to mount them a wee bit higher somehow with a spacer. . or cut em back a little shorter. .

next next step - Fuel mapping for the EFI. Bike feels a wee lean. I'm in California, so it probably is. SST or something like that I was reading about on here, looked like the way.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:08 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the reply. You would also improve the ride performance and comfort by upgrading the suspension.

Wonder how the TT improves the shifting? That's the first time I've heard that.

Originally Posted by FlyinJim
RatBob

Yeah I started out with it on the side stand, but I did get to wondering if that was skewing things. I loosened up the bottom bolt until it was just started. A piece of 2x4 and a book the size of the manual underneath the kickstand levelled the bike out and I tied it off with a tiedown to one of my dirt bikes to keep it from falling over on the right side. Just like somethin from Jackass! I tried to buy that aluminum bike lift that was on sale at harbor freight, but they were out of em. so this was funky, but it worked. I tried tweakin the motor in the frame with a wood lever, still tight. Glad we finally got the thing in there, but it was definately fighting the mount.

Romeo - You bet I polished it 1st! I was real glad I saw your write up before I did this, your pictures were the ones that unfogged me as to where the thing was supposed to go. I'm a Fire Capt at an oil refinery, so I took the thing into the machine shop here and put some heat on it with the polishing wheel. Glad I did, thanks for the idea

Rusty/Big Daddy

It feels. . different, it just feels tight like it should to me now. I havn't noticed anything that I didn't like vibration wise. Shifting feels more clicky now, less delay then a whump like before. I havn't gotten it up to 90 on a highway yet though.

I'm really glad one of my buds from work tipped me on to this problem. It was kind of vague to diagnose at first. Like I said it felt as if the back tire was low or something. I wanted to be happy about the bike cause I'd just paid 12 grand for it, but i just was hard to get s ure feeling for what was going to happen next in a corner. I was going through corners wider than I would because I just didn't feel right unrolling the bike? It felt like I couldn't whip it much cause something was floaty? Next I was thinking maybe the front end was a bit loose - no fall off was fine, no clunking FE bearings when braking and they weren't too tight.

The first couple times I had my wife on the back of it it felt like she was bouncing around back there and wrong on the weight. I thought maybe she was rusty, but when I turned to look at her she was just sitting on it normal. When I was telling this stuff to my buddy at work he said that with a passenger is when it's most noticeable and what the cause was. That was his biggest clue into figuring out what I was talking about. (Dealerships and others looked at me like I was telling them how I'd met some Aliens on the way over)

I'm just really glad I got this figured out, it makes a world of difference to me riding the bike now. This FB is my 1st Harley, though I've ridden all kinds (no Gold wings! ) of other types of bikes all my life.

Next step - Bike has center controls. Needs forward ones. I was thinking about the Kuris cause I dont want to pull the primary off and remove the old shift point. My only worry is that I drag the left footpeg sometimes now in some turns. So far havn't dragged the pipe on a right. I don't ride super aggresive, but I do ride. I'm worried that the forward controls will hit the street even earlier. Anyone know for sure? If so I wonder if I can figure a way to mount them a wee bit higher somehow with a spacer. . or cut em back a little shorter. .

next next step - Fuel mapping for the EFI. Bike feels a wee lean. I'm in California, so it probably is. SST or something like that I was reading about on here, looked like the way.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Rustyrider
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

FlyinJim,

If you do not have the bike lowered you will not drag the forward controls even when being aggressive.

By the way; I do refractory work in many refineries here on the gulf coast. Which refinery do you work?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 AM
FlyinJim
1st Gear
Default small world Rusty

ExxonMobil refinery in Torrance, Ca. We're just outside Los Angeles. If you ever get out this way for a shutdown or something, look up Jim Gillen in the Fire and Safety Dept and we'll go for a ride

Old 04-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Spiro Drummer
Tourer

I bought my bike used with 6500 miles on it. I'd heard that dynas could be squirly in turns, but I could swear the rear tire was either flat or bald in almost every turn. Turns out the tire was old but that's not what was giving. I installed True Track (with the help of a very mechanically inclined friend) when I changed out my tires. Thus the rear went on a LOT easier with the wheel off!!!!!
Result: True Track + New Rubber= HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY Fat Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rides like a whole new bike!!
(Also checked the engine mount to see if it needed 'shimming' but it turned out ok, which is probably why i don't have any added vibration)

Old 05-02-2011, 12:36 AM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading everyone's posts about True-Track, I decided to get one. Road from Phoenix to Lauglin, NV for the River Run in part just to purchase one...they were advertising "Free installation on all bikes". So I get there and buy mine...and guess what? No they cant put it on because its a WideGlide and it would take too long. Of course..they were putting them on FXR and FLH left and right. I even offered to stay overnight and come in first thing in the morning..but sorry....nope. But I could still buy one...full price. Kinda left a bad taste, ya know?

Last edited by DesertDyna; 05-02-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: correction

Quick Reply: True Trak for a Dyna Fat Bob