Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Dyna, Need Seat and Height Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:36 AM
blandster
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dyna, Need Seat and Height Opinions

Hi Everyone! I came across this site the other day and I have been having a blast reading the forums. I FINALLY got my first Dyna about 5 days ago and I'm loving it! But... It is just a tad too tall for me to comfortably ride. My Dyna is a 96 Super Glide and I have to say the seat itself is VERY comfortable when riding its just a bit too wide when at a stop. And like I said before the bike is also just heigh enough that it is not as comfortable as I'd like. I'm only 5' 8" and that is if I happen to have good posture that day... What I am looking for is some advice about my best options on how to get the stance I want with this bike and in what order to try things. I am not doing it for looks but for comfort and safety. I can put my feet down flat footed now on the bike, but I don't have near the bend in my knees that I'd like. So after reading for prior posts on the forum with the search I'd like to pose the questions of 1) Do I opt to lower the bike first, see how I like that then go for a lower narrower seat, or 2) Do I opt for the seat first and then try lowering if I don't fully like the results? Also with a lowering of the bike (I am thinking 1.5") what are everyone's preferences on the proper and safe way to do so for a short rider, not for looks? And if I do need to opt for the seat, what an option that maintains the comfort bit still sits a bit lower and is a bit narrower? And along with that, maximum comfort for the rider is a must too, or the wife may not be on many rides with me! Sorry this first post of mine is a bit wordy, but I wanted to be sure and get all my questions on this topic out there and I just couldn't find the right combination of answers via the search feature.

Thanks!!!
Matt

Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Lowering a bike is always a trade-off. The more you lower it, the more travel you remove from the suspension. The harder the ride gets.

Lowered bikes look good though.

Have you tried simply adjusting the rear shocks to a softer setting first? It's free.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Lowering he bike will most likely affect handling in a negative way. I used to have lowering blocks on my lowrider and I definitely noticed better handling after I removed them. Some guys on here lowered both the rear and front but I don't know first hand how this affects handling. That's something you might want to look into.

As far as seats go. I'm 5-9 and have a C&C seat. It lowered me a bit and brought me back about 2 inches. I don't have forward controls on my bike but if you do, sitting back 2 inches might be too much to reach the forward controls if your 5-8. Keep in mind that, usually, the more narrow a seat is, the less comfortable it is.

Do this in steps, starting with the least expensive option. Lowering blocks are cheap. Try that first, but I can almost guarantee you won't like the handling. Not sure how much it would cost to lower the front end as well but someone on here could give you an estimated cost. If you go to an HD dealership they may let you try some new seats on your bike to see how it feels. I personally wouldn't buy an HD seat but it might give you a good idea how it would feel with a new seat.

It's a process getting your bike just right for you. Be patient and do it in steps.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:39 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first, welcome aboard! what seat do you have, got a pic of the bike for us to see. you may have a sundowner H-D seat, about any other seat will be lower profile???

secondly, like as mentioned above, lowering has its trade-offs. i'm not well versed in your year/model of bike to know what length your stock shocks are. lowering the front forks will cost about 100-150+ bucks, depending on make of springs and what have you. lower rear shocks can cost between 250-1,200... depending on brand and features.

if it were me, i'd maybe start looking around at bike shows/nights. ask and see if someone with a similar model has made any adjustments to their seat/suspension. maybe they will let ya sit on their bike?!?!?

then maybe check out ebay for some used seats that are thinner but still have a comfortable review. mustang vintage solo are touted to be comfy and still offer good looks and maybe a bit of a lower profile.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:43 PM
fixxr
Road Captain

One thing most overlook is to go to a lower profile tire.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:58 PM
blandster
Novice
Default new Dyna, Need Seat and Height Opinions

Well, here's the only pic I have of the bike...so far... The seat seems to sit pretty low as it is, so does everyone think suspension is my only option? I'm not looking to slam the bike, just get a little more flat footed.

Attached Thumbnails New Dyna, Need Seat and Height Opinions-img00057.jpg  
Old 04-07-2011, 03:06 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fixxr
One thing most overlook is to go to a lower profile tire.
Good suggestion but on the late model 17" rear tires, it's not like we have a massive amount of choices. If it's a 16" or 18" there are plenty more choices regarding profile.

Also, wouldn't that create a speedometer calibration issue as well?

Old 04-07-2011, 03:45 PM
blandster
Novice

I have been looking at forums like crazy today. (I think I should probably get back to work soon ) Saw recommendations for having your seat modified at Mean City. I took a look at their site and they say they can get you up to 3" lower!!! Now that would be great if I could get low like that, maintain proper suspension, AND have a nice comfortable memory foam ride to boot! Do all you veterans out there have good things to say about Mean City Saddle?

Old 04-07-2011, 04:51 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What you should know about lowering a bike is that it means you will have to slow down in the turns, so you won't drag the metal bits. That just isn't an option for me. This goes for any attempt to lower, smaller tires, shorter shocks, lowering blocks,...

Try the modified, lower, narrower seat. Wear thicker-soled boots. You don't need to be flat-footed.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:06 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

your shocks are 12.6"... going to 12" shocks will drop the bike well without getiing involved in problematic ride and handling issues. You can also go with a lower and thinner front seat. Up to you to decide which to do first or one or the other. I recommend Ricor, or works for the shocks, and Mustang tripper for the seat.

Quick Reply: New Dyna, Need Seat and Height Opinions