Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 Years Later - She's Aging

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 Years Later - She's Aging

I bought my Street Bob in October of 05. With only minor issues (90% self-imposed due to my deficient DIY skills), she's been running awesome. I'm one of those who rides and doesn't do a lot of aesthetic upkeep other than a wash here and there. But the shinier parts, although few in number, are beginning to show their age now.

The wheels and spokes are pitted to hell. The fork sliders are beat to hell, the mirrors -after reverting back to the stock ones- are pitting, the forward controls are no longer glistening, etc.

I live a mile from the coast and, although it's been garaged the whole time when I'm not riding, it looks weathered. Is there hope for these parts? Or do you guys with older models just replace the weathered parts when they lose their shimmer? Is there some glory to be gleaned from a bike that shows that it's being ridden?

How does that work??

Last edited by Whiffleboy; 04-05-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Karsten
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey you live on the coast and life is what it is...Rust, salt, pitting and there is no getting around it. Ride it and start thinking Rat Rod while you are shopping for a new one.

Then again there is Powder Coating.

Karsten

Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

3 solutions: 0000 steel wool, powder coating, or lots of $ 4 new parts.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:19 PM
blink1968
Road Captain

just ride the hell out of it and love the old bitch for what she is

Old 04-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

Originally Posted by blink1968
just ride the hell out of it and love the old bitch for what she is
The flat black makes my sitch a LOT easier. I like your take on it, although I may get some 0000 steel wool and give it a go. I saw a video on that and it seems to really do the job. Speaking of flat black...

Anyone experience this 'patina' thing HD was pumping when these denim black Bobs were initially released? I haven't.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:54 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default accept it

Originally Posted by Whiffleboy
...I'm one of those who doesn't...do a lot of aesthetic upkeep...

The wheels and spokes are pitted to hell. The fork sliders are beat to hell, the mirrors...are pitting...

I live a mile from the coast...
Understand that your bike is rusted and pitted due to lack of proper maintenance (cleaning, polishing, waxing, detailing,...). Its' condition demonstrates that you are unable to keep up with its' required maintenance, or just don't care what happens to its' value. You can temporarily improve its' appearance by scraping most of the rust off w/ steel wool, but the chrome has been damaged beyond repair. Unless you would be willing to care for it much better, there would be no sense at all in replacing the damaged pieces. You might as well just accept it the way it is.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:45 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

bought my 05 WG new. within 2 years the spokes started to pit. sprayed some wax on them and keep riding. unless u like cleaning all the time. mine get TLC about 2hrs. a year. just bought a replacement rear wheel at swap meet for $30. gonna fix it up and R & R it 4 the crappy one next new tire.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Understand that your bike is rusted and pitted due to lack of proper maintenance (cleaning, polishing, waxing, detailing,...). Its' condition demonstrates that you are unable to keep up with its' required maintenance, or just don't care what happens to its' value. You can temporarily improve its' appearance by scraping most of the rust off w/ steel wool, but the chrome has been damaged beyond repair. Unless you would be willing to care for it much better, there would be no sense at all in replacing the damaged pieces. You might as well just accept it the way it is.
A little harsh, don't ya think? Out of your entire lecture above, your last sentence is the only thing that addressed my questions. I wasn't asking "how" it got that way. I was asking if folks just rolled with it at that point, attempted to bring them back, or just replaced those parts.

I don't understand your "value" remark either. My bike wasn't an investment. I bought it with the intent to ride it till it died. Not sell it or trade it. We may own our respective bikes for different reasons.

BTW, I'm still looking through the manual for the "required maintenance" section dealing with waxing, polishing and detailing and coming up with nothing.

Sorry, your reply just rubbed me the wrong way.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:14 AM
hd_sob
Road Master

Speaking of flat black...

Anyone experience this 'patina' thing HD was pumping when these denim black Bobs were initially released? I haven't.
my denim bob turned 5 in feb. still no 'patina'. just as well...

Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A little harsh, don't ya think? Out of your entire lecture above, your last sentence is the only thing that addressed my questions...
Sorry, your reply just rubbed me the wrong way.
Yeah, I get that a lot.

You had asked: "Is there hope for these parts?" My response included comments to your question. I indicated the reason that the parts were damaged beyond any repair. And that, if you had no intention of radically improving your maintenance skills, there would be no "hope for these parts." That it just would not make sense to "shine" or replace them. That any effort you now put into scraping off the accumulated rust would be an act of futility.

You also question the missing maintenance, because you couldn't find it in your owners manual. Some of these things we have to learn the hard way. In my 67 years, a lot of what I've learned has been that way; just trying to pass along some it. You're welcome.

Quick Reply: 5 Years Later - She's Aging