Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 Years Later - She's Aging

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Understand that your bike is rusted and pitted due to lack of proper maintenance (cleaning, polishing, waxing, detailing,...). Its' condition demonstrates that you are unable to keep up with its' required maintenance, or just don't care what happens to its' value. You can temporarily improve its' appearance by scraping most of the rust off w/ steel wool, but the chrome has been damaged beyond repair. Unless you would be willing to care for it much better, there would be no sense at all in replacing the damaged pieces. You might as well just accept it the way it is.
Well lets look at this value issue for a minute. You're implying he should spend a generous amount of time and money keeping his bike new-ish. Lets conservatively say an hour a week and $100 a year on products. After 5 years that's 260 man hours and $500 cash. I don't know how much your time is worth, but I'd say that's a pretty poor bargian when you consider the difference in value of a shiny 5 year old bike and a less shiny 5 year old bike.

Now if it's important to you to keep a bike in top condition, fine. My bro-in-law keeps his like new and rides 15K a year. OTOH, your sanctimonious tone is pretty ridiculous when you throw out "value" as the reason for diligent upkeep. As for the idea that he might as well leave it alone, that depends on his priorities. If he decides to spend a couple hundred bucks and a weekend giving her a make-over, what's wrong with that? No reason for looking down your nose with that "all or nothing" bit.

(End of rant)

Last edited by Dawg Rider; 04-07-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My ol' turd is about the same age,06 Street Bob with about sixty thousand miles. Only prob I got is that I change things so often they never have a chance to get rusty.

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...APR%2011%20HD/

Old 04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Whiffleboy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahahahaha...thanks for the welcomes back, fellas. Over the years I sort of lost track of all the differences (if any) between the year models and figured I didn't have much to offer on here anymore, so, I'd just occasionally lurk.

Anyway, good to see some familiar names are still around.

I'm not going to worry about this stuff too much. I'll take some steel wool to the wheels which are the biggest offenders. The fork sliders are scuffed from road debris...not sure any kind of wax or polish could have prevented that. Mirrors are easily replaced and my pipes are still in good shape.

Last edited by Whiffleboy; 04-07-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tommay, I dig your old turd. It's one of a kind and has survived running over good sized critter if I remember right.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:25 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dawg Rider
...Lets conservatively say an hour a week and $100 a year on products...I'd say that's a pretty poor bargian when you consider the difference in value of a shiny 5 year old bike and a less shiny 5 year old bike...
If $100/year makes the difference between a shiny bike and a rusted POS, I'd say that's money well spent. Replacing all the damaged components will cost much more.

What's your time worth? It's worth the same amount you get paid to do all your other chores which need to be done: $0/hour. About the same amount it's worth while sitting and drinking beer.

Most guys that have spent time in the military learn the value of maintenance (whether they like it or not). Some others think they're really f'ng cool for turning perfectly good equipment into junk. YMMV

Old 04-07-2011, 12:09 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

All you need to do is clean your bike enough so it looks good 10 feet away or more!

I use some pledge or biker spirits between washings to keep it from looking like a complete neglected pile of **** but beyond that I bet you between March - November (Wisconsin riding season) I probably truly wash it half a dozen times, that's all.

I keep trying to figure out how to bribe the wife in to washing my bike more often. If you guys know any tricks lemme know. Diamonds and/or money are out of the question.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:42 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

you know me man... coat it!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
you know me man... coat it!
Haahahahaa! BTW, the bike in your sig is SICK!!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:23 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

It is just showing it's history. Leave it alone. The same thing will happen to you with the passage of years.

Just keep the running gear going like brakes, cables and clutch. Just appreciate the fine service that the old girl has given. She doesn't need lipstick, just love.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:49 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default All Harleys are "saved" by Jesus

soon your bike will look like this one....

Attached Thumbnails 5 Years Later - She's Aging-jesus-bike.jpg  

Quick Reply: 5 Years Later - She's Aging