Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 Years Later - She's Aging

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:51 AM
jshull
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

powder coat or ride that bitch. I am here to tell you I have changed ALOT about my bike in the two short years I have owned it. I turned every bolt-nut-plug by hand with my tools. I have f'd things up and had to redo it, I have scratched, dented, and wrecked my bike. I do however love her, saves me gas plus its a Harley. Powder coat is very durable, pretty cheap and would be a good time to do that maintenance. I dont wash, wax, or buff my bike often, I bought this thing to ride same as you. There are some really nice bikes on this board but I often times wonder if some of them get ridden or just glamour shots.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey I try to keep up with the wash and shine process on my Dyna but my bike is in a rented garage two blocks form my house and I have to go get it and bring it to my house to wash and wax. Everytime I go to the garage and get it to do just that, I never make it back to the house, I ride on by and go for a cruise. It seems once I am on the thing, it will not let me stop for anything but gas. lol Hey it gets washed at the dealers every year after inspection. I spray detail every chance I get to get the dust off. But like other poster, I didn't buy as an investment going to ride it until it dies. jmho

Old 04-06-2011, 10:21 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiffleboy
Is there some glory to be gleaned from a bike that shows that it's being ridden?
Absolutely!
I like seeing bikes that lived a "hard life" much more than trailer queens.

My FXD lives 1/4 mi from the Gulf and less than 100' from intercoastal waterway. Everything gets pitted and rusty. Ride the wheels off of it, then buy another low mile bike from someone who spent more time polishing than riding. Repeat till you get too old to ride.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:23 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Understand that your bike is rusted and pitted due to lack of proper maintenance (cleaning, polishing, waxing, detailing,...). Its' condition demonstrates that you are unable to keep up with its' required maintenance, or just don't care what happens to its' value. You can temporarily improve its' appearance by scraping most of the rust off w/ steel wool, but the chrome has been damaged beyond repair. Unless you would be willing to care for it much better, there would be no sense at all in replacing the damaged pieces. You might as well just accept it the way it is.
Originally Posted by jshull
powder coat or ride that bitch. I am here to tell you I have changed ALOT about my bike in the two short years I have owned it. I turned every bolt-nut-plug by hand with my tools. I have f'd things up and had to redo it, I have scratched, dented, and wrecked my bike. I do however love her, saves me gas plus its a Harley. Powder coat is very durable, pretty cheap and would be a good time to do that maintenance. I dont wash, wax, or buff my bike often, I bought this thing to ride same as you. There are some really nice bikes on this board but I often times wonder if some of them get ridden or just glamour shots.
Kinda like have a kid, giving it no attention or guidance and wondering why the little bastard gets arrested and is a no good SOB.

if your not going to care for it, why bother replacing the parts ride it till it falls apart... shouldn't be long with the way you take care of it. then maybe the next one you buy you will care for.

my scooter gets between 20-30k a year put on her. once a week she gets detailed which take nearly 4 hours to do. i turn all my own wrenches on her and i ride her every change i get.

yes you can have a show bike which you can ride. some people have their priorities in other places, some dont. it is what it is...

Old 04-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

Yeah, I get that a lot.

You had asked: "Is there hope for these parts?" My response included comments to your question. I indicated the reason that the parts were damaged beyond any repair. And that, if you had no intention of radically improving your maintenance skills, there would be no "hope for these parts." That it just would not make sense to "shine" or replace them. That any effort you now put into scraping off the accumulated rust would be an act of futility.

You also question the missing maintenance, because you couldn't find it in your owners manual. Some of these things we have to learn the hard way. In my 67 years, a lot of what I've learned has been that way; just trying to pass along some it. You're welcome.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It's not impossible to ride your bike and keep it clean too. It doesn't take that long to clean it, just take the time you spend on the message board and use it towards cleaning your beloved bike.

Seriously though, just because a bike is dirty doesn't automatically mean it is ridden any more than a clean bike, it could just be a lazy owner.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
It's not impossible to ride your bike and keep it clean too. It doesn't take that long to clean it, just take the time you spend on the message board and use it towards cleaning your beloved bike.

Seriously though, just because a bike is dirty doesn't automatically mean it is ridden any more than a clean bike, it could just be a lazy owner.
True. We all know people who's bike looks ridden and who look like they ride, but in reality, they don't ride any more than the average Joe.

You don't have to be obsessive about cleaning. Hose it off, spray some WD-40 to slow the rust and ride the hell out of it. I keep my bike clean, but yesterday was the first time since I owned it that I actually polished the wheels. Use quick clean and a rag after every ride and you won't have to spend hours detailing it.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

...your last sentence is the only thing that addressed my questions...

I don't understand your "value" remark either. My bike wasn't an investment. I bought it with the intent to ride it till it died. Not sell it or trade it. We may own our respective bikes for different reasons...
...Is there some glory to be gleaned from a bike that shows that it's being ridden?...
Sorry. You have made me realize that I missed addressing some of your questions.

There is no shame in the general wear one's bike shows from normal, or even heavy, use. Glory? Maybe for some. But who finds glory in neglect or abuse?

Value is what you have to show for money spent. Part of that is memories and miles on the odometer. On such an expensive luxury item as a Harley, its' value might not seem important until you are obliged to sell it or decide to trade up. There is wisdom in preserving that value.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:45 PM
hddan502
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry. You have made me realize that I missed addressing some of your questions.

There is no shame in the general wear one's bike shows from normal, or even heavy, use. Glory? Maybe for some. But who finds glory in neglect or abuse?

Value is what you have to show for money spent. Part of that is memories and miles on the odometer. On such an expensive luxury item as a Harley, its' value might not seem important until you are obliged to sell it or decide to trade up. There is wisdom in preserving that value.
Geez Dad, ya party crasher!

Old 04-06-2011, 03:54 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

I've had 3 brand new bikes and have built a show bike, but now find it liberating riding a "beater" bike. I can ride it hard, put it away wet and not worry about every little scuff or pit.
I'll always get my $4200 out of it.

Quick Reply: 5 Years Later - She's Aging