Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gimme your tips, for riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:06 PM
TXcruzin
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gimme your tips, for riding in the rain

Met some new friends the other day, went for a short ride 2 guys on there WideGlides wifes on the back. Weather was supposed to be perfect. Coming back Hwy 149 North Sam Houston Nat Forest pretty twistie country road. Light steady rain. I hate hate hate that feeling of the bike being unstable coming into a curve new friends following wife on the back and I have that sensation.....you know what I mean

When its dry I am comfortable - confident throwing my WG into the curves at good speed acceclerating thru it but rain is my kryptonite

What are your experiences... advice.... Techniques ?

Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Watch out for the paint, it's like ice when wet.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 PM
adambamburg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i usually just ride thorugh storms and rain at my own pace. If it gets to bad pull over for a smoke or a bite to eat.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Comingapart
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the lines on the road get slicker than oil snot when wet. Just ease into the curves a bit more than normal and you'll be fine. You actually have alot more traction on wet roads than you think. The only way to get "that feeling" out of your head is just do it more.
130 miles of commuting everyday, I've ridden in my share of crappy weather.
First time I got caught in a thunderstorm I was scared to death that the bike was just gonna go flying out from underneath me in a turn. The more I rode in rain, the more comfortable I got with it.
I am more concerned with cages around in bad weather than I am the weather itself at this point.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Gotta have good tires for rain. The best ones ive found for rain are the Pirreli night dragon first and the Metz me880. That'll give you control in the rain my second best tip is to pick up some anti fog spray for the glasses/goggles. Other than that stay dry.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

All above tips are great, for me though it's the rubber filler they use in cracks and of course the painted lines.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I find riding between the drops is the best technique......

Sorry I couldnt resist, but seriously you need proper tires. I like the Metz 880s.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep. Ride at your own pace.

And a windshield is awesome.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 PM
lkohan7373
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay away from the paint as everyone said. Also if you are coming to a stop sign or light watch for the oil buildup. First hand experience last year. If it just starts to rain you might want to pull over. The first couple of minutes of a rainstorm is the worst as the oil comes to the surface. More rain washes it away.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Rain sucks but it happens the more you ride in it the more better your confidence will become. if you have not done so, you might want to take a riders course, they cover rain riding, braking in th rain and other important like all the above mentioned: Slock paint, Tar oil, when to pull over and why, I mean for one afternoon, or day you could learn a lot about the questions you have and knowing is half the battle that is why your asking, just food for thought. if you have not.

Quick Reply: Gimme your tips, for riding in the rain