Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gimme your tips, for riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Dynaglide68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try not too !

Old 04-06-2011, 12:31 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

W/s; good tires & rain gear; slow down; ride @ own pace; wait it out if it's bad or unsafe.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hard to imagine I know but we do get the odd drop of rain here in the UK too!

Biggest confidence boost on the Harleys I have owned has been to lose the stock Dunlops. They really are pretty bad in the wet; they follow any little line in the road, skip over tar snakes, break away on even slight bends, etc.

I assume HD fit them because they get them cheap, its certainly not for their quality. I suggest replacing them with Metzelers ASAP.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster

Biggest confidence boost on the Harleys I have owned has been to lose the stock Dunlops. They really are pretty bad in the wet; they follow any little line in the road, skip over tar snakes, break away on even slight bends, etc.

I assume HD fit them because they get them cheap, its certainly not for their quality. I suggest replacing them with Metzelers ASAP.
Yup, I love those Metz 880s, and both my cousins run Avon Venoms on their Harleys. They stick a tad bit better than the Metz 880 at the cost of a little less mileage. Cant go wrong with either one.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:26 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
Crazy talk!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:37 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

No matter what i do, i tend to get caught in rain often, i get that same feeling, i do not ignore it. first thing i do, I take the back roads or less travelled roads, Especially if its raining pretty hard, i stay off the highway, for one i do not trust the idiots to see me as they come up from behind..so, back roads and i slow down to a comfortable pace and enjoy the ride...and yes i said enjoy, riding in the rain is in its own way just pretty damned cool.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:46 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride slow and smooth in the rain , no sudden moves , and no hard braking ,set yourself up for the corners , and never brake while leaning over , kind of like running a bike in ( just done that ), like someone has already said , there is quit a lot of grip in the wet , but its the odd things that will catch you out , like the painted lines ,metal man hole covers , and some of those puddles will be pot holes full of water , so just be a little more aware of the road , whats coming up and other cars n bikes around you , after years of getting soaked on a regular basis , i only really want to ride in the dry , but theres nothing to be scared of , we get a lot more practise at it than most

Old 04-06-2011, 03:09 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 447 Posts

Ride like your brakes don't work and you'll be fine, it will make you increase the distance between you and cars and make you a heap smoother.

Braking hard is the main thing that will get you dead in the wet, the corners are not so bad.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:19 AM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

think of it this way, what do you do in a car? slow down a bit and try to be more aware of whats going on around you, thats all you have to do on a bike tires are made for all weather, like someone posted above the more you do it the easier it gets, after a while you event forget your riding in the wet, :-0, I myself used to ride in a lot of rain back in NZ but now I live in Oz I dont see to much rain these days,

Old 04-06-2011, 07:54 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

I agree with everyone on here. The thing I hate the most is when you get passed by someone and the hit a puddle and flood you with water. It's like someone dumping a big bucket of water on you.

Quick Reply: Gimme your tips, for riding in the rain