Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED issue ... need help/advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Default LED issue ... need help/advise

I installed a Badlands Plug-In Illuminator ILL-01-A, and replaced my rear stock clear 1156 bulbs with Radiantz 48 red LED 1156 clusters LED-DR56, problem is only one side will light up, I am unable to get both sides to work? both clusters work fine,

keep in mind when I got the bike it was set up for rear BRAKE/TURN only, NO RUN and I would like to keep it that way if possible?

the Badlands Illuminator ILL-01-A works fine (run/brake/turn) when I put my stock 1156 clears back in, and when I put my original BRAKE/TURN only module back in they(stock 1156 clear bulbs) work fine also with

The problem I'm having is when I put the both red 48 LED 1156 clusters in only one side will light up with either module, and like I mentioned when I put the stock clear 1156's back in, all(both sides-left/right) work fine as intended with both modules?

would like to use the LEDs cuz I'm using smoked lens

I'm no electrician & I'm stymied,..

Old 04-03-2011, 07:07 PM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you tried it with the wires around the other way i know when I changed to LED lights I wasted a lot of time and effort because I had th power going the wrong way through the setup once I swapped the wires around it worked fine, also check you didnt blow a fuse during install,

Old 04-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter

Originally Posted by ==ShaDoW==
have you tried it with the wires around the other way i know when I changed to LED lights I wasted a lot of time and effort because I had th power going the wrong way through the setup once I swapped the wires around it worked fine, also check you didnt blow a fuse during install,

but both sides work fine when I put the stock 1156's back in, ??, I'll check the fuses again though.

thanks

Old 04-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
but both sides work fine when I put the stock 1156's back in, ??, I'll check the fuses again though.

thanks
all fuses good, the rear bullet tail lights use 1156 bulbs and each have two wires (one black -one purple) going into the pin jacks behind the tail light , ...The RED LED Cluster pods have 1-yellow/1-red/1-black wire molded into the 1156 base and when I plug both clusters in only one side is lighting up and will not blink?

but when I put both the 1156 incandescent bulbs back in both sides work fine.... errrrrr.

(see original post #1)

Old 04-04-2011, 03:21 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried swapping the LEDs left to right to see if the problem follows the bulb? As stated above...LEDs need to be wired correctly to work. Incandescent bulbs dont care.

If the problem does not follow the bulb, then there could be something wrong with the load balance unit.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:00 PM
lkohan7373
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes with LED's the flasher needs to be changed. They have a differnt draw than standard bulbs.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:05 PM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

sounds like a ground problem bro... , and make sure the little contact in the housing where the bottom of the bulb is not loose causing it to miss the contact

Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Fattire_Biker
Cruiser

I had a somewhat similar problem with the installation of LED passing lamps. I learned that LED lights have to be wired correctly. You have to make sure that the positive wires on the bike match up to the positive leads on your LED lights. With standard lights it doesn't matter. On my bike, one bike plug had the positive and negative wires switched. The LED light didn't work. Some smarter and wiser forum mbrs told me to check the bike wires to make sure that positive wires on the bike were going to positive wires on the LED bike plug. Once I reversed the pins on the plug I was having trouble with, my LED light worked.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 PM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain
Default Bump

Did you get that figured out? I would like to use amber LEDs for rear turn signals only and am interested if you got something to work.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:37 PM
lkohan7373
Cruiser

I was just at the dealership looking at LED upgrades for my bike. 1 pair was a measly $214.00. They must be crazy. I will keep looking. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Quick Reply: LED issue ... need help/advise