Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic Converters/Slip On Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:24 PM
grog_lives
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Converters/Slip On Mufflers

I've been here in the recent past asking exhaust questions for my 2010 Fat bob. Do I understand correctly that Harley started putting catalytic converters on the 2010 models? If they did, was this done on all models of Harleys?

If the answer to the above is all yes I'd sure like to hear from folks who put slip-ons on their 2010 and newer bikes and didn't do anything else. I'm looking at cycle shack and rush slip-ons but I don't want to get them if they sound the same as the stock. I'm basically looking for a little more noise.

I know many will recommend a full exhaust, ac and tune, but for my own reasons I'm not sure I want to go that way.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:17 PM
The Dean
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what I understand. I have a 2010 FXDC. I was told that the cats for the 2010 are in the header pipe and not the muffler. Mine was in the muffler. Harley used up what was left over from the 2009s on the 2010s. So the 1st ones off the line in 2010 have cats in the muffler. The later one might have them in the header pipe. I put 1.75 rush on and installed VIEDS. The bike runs great and sound great. I will be installing a better AC and then I might have to go with a PC V. Thats my understanding. Just have to wait and see what else is said.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cat for your FB is on the 1 bit of the 2-1-2 headers. Makes relatively little difference to performance or noise.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:41 PM
sask1
Cruiser

my 2010 FXDB was in the baffle ( baffle and cat in one )

Old 04-02-2011, 11:27 PM
maxxod
Banned

Cats on the Street Bob, and Super Glide are in the mufflers...notice the new heat shields on the mufflers starting in 2010? They werent there in 2009, because the mufflers didnt get as hot because they had no cats in them.

Cats on the Fat Bob and Wide Glide are in the collector section where the 2 into 1 separates into 2 pipes again. I have a set of head pipes from a 2010 Fat Bob and can see the catalyst in the pipe.

Been trying to get my hands on an 08 Fat Bob head pipe because they have no cat....

Old 04-02-2011, 11:31 PM
maxxod
Banned

You could remove the head pipe, take it to a muffler shop and have them cut the collector in half, remove the catalyst and weld it back together. The CVO Fat Bob guys have been doing this, since all of the CVO bikes have cats.
Some of them do this themselves, but if you dont have welding experience, it is better to let someone who does do this right for you the first time. Shouldnt be too expensive...I'll let you know...getting it done soon. Would have attempted to knock out the catalyst myself with a broom handle, which is the way we used to do it with cars, but according to the CVO guys, they had to use air chisels and drills to remove theirs because the material is so hard.....

Old 04-03-2011, 02:51 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by maxxod
Been trying to get my hands on an 08 Fat Bob head pipe because they have no cat....
I recently bought a set of '08 Fat Bob headers, thinking the same thing. However there is a cat in them too.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:59 AM
maxxod
Banned

You bought it off Ebay right? I just did the same thing...seller had a bunch of them.....Im pretty sure they arent 08 pipes, just Fat Bob pipes......asked the seller, waiting on a reply now......we probably bought them from the same person....LOL...

Old 04-03-2011, 03:04 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior

You bought it off Ebay right? I just did the same thing...seller had a bunch of them.....Im pretty sure they arent 08 pipes, just Fat Bob pipes......asked the seller, waiting on a reply now......we probably bought them from the same person....LOL...
Yup, he had like 8 sets for sale. Paid a lot of postage to the UK too.

Still not sure though whether they are '08 headers and they have a cat as they should or whether the guy sold them as the wrong item.

I'll email him too.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:02 PM
grog_lives
Cruiser

Can you give the name of the seller? How much did you pay for them?

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converters/Slip On Mufflers