Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laid my 12yo vest to rest

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011 | 11:09 AM
otter8
Intermediate

RIP me ole soft and comfy vest. You mentioned Americade. What a great adventure that has always been. Used to go every year until I moved out here to Phoenix. I love the Lake George area spent most of my summers growing up on the lake with my grand parents. Now my cousin has their house and I get to visit it every couple of years. Good luck finding a new vest. You will be able to make lots of memories with that. Sorry about your brother in law. Cancer is a terrible thing. I know first hand lost my wife to ovarian cancer when she was only 48.

Old 04-02-2011 | 12:16 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

I feel your pain SC.... I parted ways with my all time favorite leather jacket about 8 months ago. I still have remorse over it, and just keep hoping my new leather will break in even better than my old one.

And yes...I too thought this thread was a bit more serious due to the title, and am very glad it ended up being about a peace of leather. Dangit, off to ebay to hopefully find the exact jacket I used to have!

Old 04-02-2011 | 12:24 PM
zird00
Tourer

Originally Posted by JRK5892
VEST... VEST... it says vest! man... i read this title and my heart stopped, man i thought it said laid my 12yo to rest today... man! not what i wanted to read at all... phewww!!! says VEST!... i need a drink nwo
I'm right there with ya! Holy cow I thought this was gonna be a bad one. Sorry to hear about your vest.

Old 04-02-2011 | 02:30 PM
SC-Longhair
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Damn you Vic.... Even though I knew about the vest the title at first glance made me wince.....
Note to self - be careful how you word titles of threads in the future.

Originally Posted by paul s
I bought my jacket in Seattle in 1985 and it shows the years, it's a black denim Hein Gericke with leather where it counts. It has been with me on many trips on the Drag strip a few trips to hospitals and a few trips to jails, oh the memories...
My jacket is also showing signs of replacement. Over the last yr or so, it's gotten quite stiff. I was going to try some leather conditioner hoping to bring it back but haven't found any in my travels as of yet.

Originally Posted by otter8
RIP me ole soft and comfy vest. You mentioned Americade. What a great adventure that has always been. Used to go every year until I moved out here to Phoenix. I love the Lake George area spent most of my summers growing up on the lake with my grand parents. Now my cousin has their house and I get to visit it every couple of years. Good luck finding a new vest. You will be able to make lots of memories with that. Sorry about your brother in law. Cancer is a terrible thing. I know first hand lost my wife to ovarian cancer when she was only 48.
Yeah, I grew up in Northern NJ. I went to Americade 97-99. Lake George is a gorgeous part of the country. I always had a blast up there, although that usually meant I drank too much. lol I always made it a point to venture out to Oscar's Smokehouse about an hour outside the village. Broke my heart when I heard it burned down. I remember riding there, and when you get to within a mile or two, you start smelling the smoke. Mmmm... It does suck about my Bro-in-law. He was a very awesome guy. Didn't ride but I respected him immensely nonetheless. He didn't smoke or drink (other than a very occasional beer or glass of wine with dinner). The only saving grace was that he went quick.

Originally Posted by parts eeter
I feel your pain SC.... I parted ways with my all time favorite leather jacket about 8 months ago. I still have remorse over it, and just keep hoping my new leather will break in even better than my old one.

And yes...I too thought this thread was a bit more serious due to the title, and am very glad it ended up being about a peace of leather. Dangit, off to ebay to hopefully find the exact jacket I used to have!
Yeah, not looking forward to breaking in a new vest/jacket either.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 04-02-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2011 | 02:45 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

I feel your pain, Vic ... I laid some 12 yo Scotch to rest last evening ... RIP ...

R/
'Chop

Old 04-02-2011 | 02:55 PM
SC-Longhair
|
Club Member

Lol Todd. Hope you enjoyed it.

Old 04-02-2011 | 06:46 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior

I out grow my stuff every two years. I'm half way to being the circus bear on the bike.

Old 04-02-2011 | 06:56 PM
tinker1
Road Captain

I own two leather vests - one was a gift from a friend - but I hardly ever wear them. When and where I started riding - the cool thing to do was to cut the sleeves off an old Levis jacket and wear that. To this day, that's what I do.

I cycle through these in the general range of every 3 to 5 years or so.

I have the old lady sew patches on them here and there from time to time. Most have symbolic meaning to me - skulls and X bones for fallen friends, that sort of thing. Sometimes I've been given patches by friends too.

The thing is that I believe in not hanging on to things - even memories. I've had friends die tragically - and I carry their memory on my vest in the form of a patch. But when that vest is worn out, I let them go.

Old 04-02-2011 | 09:42 PM
Ratbob
Road Master

Sorry for your loss Vic, hope you find a suitable replacement! I'll tip a glass of Wild Turkey in its honor tonight.

Old 04-02-2011 | 10:56 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

You inspired me to throw out the old toilet seat upstairs tonight and replace it with a new wooden one from Walmart.

Quick Reply: Laid my 12yo vest to rest