Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satin primary cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:18 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Satin primary cover

Well I really like the Fat Boy Lo's 'satin chrome' primary cover, cam cover, etc. ... so, installed a 'satin' primary cover on my bike ....

I am planning on doing the same treatment to my cam cover ....

I know ... this thread is worthless without pics ....

Fat Boy Lo:

Updated photos of my primary with a real camera:

Okay ... how to:

Spray on stripper ... wait 15 minutes ... take a plastic putty knife and just lift / scrape it off ....

Then ... I spent about an hour-and-a-half or so cleaning up with sandpaper ... finished up with a 320 grit ....

I was thinking of polishing it to a chrome-like finish ... but, since I am a fan of the satin chrome, decided to leave it with a nice sanded finish ... I guess if I want to, I can take it off and polish it up at some later date ....

R/
'Chop

Attached Thumbnails Satin primary cover-photo048.jpg   Satin primary cover-photo049.jpg   Satin primary cover-photo050_001.jpg   Satin primary cover-dscn1420.jpg   Satin primary cover-dscn1422.jpg  

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 03-31-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dig it. It'll look even better once you paint the jugs black.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Funny you should say that ... I am in the planning stages ... probably be done within the next couple of weeks ....

I just need to 'bone up' on the how-to threads ....

... picked up some Rustoleum Engine Paint 500 degree Semi Gloss Black ... seems that should be adequate from what I've seen ....

I have some MCR heads on order in silver ... when they come in, I'm going to wash them up and paint them right away ... then when I have the motor apart to install them, I'll pull the cylinders off and paint them ... put it back together with an all-black top end .... That's the plan for now ....

R/
'Chop

Going to try to replicate this look more or less (except with satin covers):

Attached Thumbnails Satin primary cover-dscn1423.jpg   Satin primary cover-dscn1424.jpg  

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 03-31-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:36 PM
greenstreetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the FB Low satin parts too. Looks great. I'd like to see a bigger picture of it on your bike. What was the finish of the cover before you put stripper on it?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:36 AM
superrooster2003
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of stripper did u use

Old 03-31-2011, 02:07 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by greenstreetbob
I like the FB Low satin parts too. Looks great. I'd like to see a bigger picture of it on your bike. What was the finish of the cover before you put stripper on it?
I posted a couple new photos in the original post that came out better ... before it was the standard silver ('blonde') stock FXD finish ... same as the motor and transmission ....

Originally Posted by superrooster2003
what kind of stripper did u use
I used this:

Klean-Strip Premium Stripper Aerosol ... a little over $5 at Home Depot ... I had seen moderator Mud's how-to thread where he used Klean-Strip Aircraft Stripper ... they didn't have it at Home Depot, so I took a chance on what they had ... worked like a champ ....

Got a couple more photos:

Attached Thumbnails Satin primary cover-dscn1418.jpg   Satin primary cover-dscn1419.jpg   Satin primary cover-dscn1421.jpg   Satin primary cover-dscn1430.jpg  

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 03-31-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:17 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Default Cam cover in 'satin'

Thought it turned out pretty good ....

Attached Thumbnails Satin primary cover-dscn1425.jpg   Satin primary cover-dscn1427.jpg   Satin primary cover-dscn1426.jpg   Satin primary cover-dscn1428.jpg   Satin primary cover-dscn1429.jpg  

Old 03-31-2011, 04:39 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice job and great pics. I like the satin finish a lot. How do you think it would look with the primary inspection cover also in satin, and the derby cover in a gloss black powder?

Last edited by bigdaddy33; 03-31-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:25 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i like it alot... i would agree that the black would play in... Todd i think i have a gloss black derby cover... i can look... if i do ill just swap ya how does that sound... shoot me a PM tomorrow and ill look in the shop while there
(you pay shipping and send me yours you can have it)

Old 03-31-2011, 06:37 PM
A1ACruiser
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Well I really like the Fat Boy Lo's 'satin chrome' primary cover, cam cover, etc. ... so, installed a 'satin' primary cover on my bike ....

I am planning on doing the same treatment to my cam cover ....

I know ... this thread is worthless without pics ....

Fat Boy Lo:

Updated photos of my primary with a real camera:

Okay ... how to:

Spray on stripper ... wait 15 minutes ... take a plastic putty knife and just lift / scrape it off ....

Then ... I spent about an hour-and-a-half or so cleaning up with sandpaper ... finished up with a 320 grit ....

I was thinking of polishing it to a chrome-like finish ... but, since I am a fan of the satin chrome, decided to leave it with a nice sanded finish ... I guess if I want to, I can take it off and polish it up at some later date ....

R/
'Chop
Very Interesting! Hmmmmmmm

Quick Reply: Satin primary cover