Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satin primary cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:40 PM
hailguy138
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did u sand it?

Old 04-01-2011, 03:16 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Nice job and great pics. I like the satin finish a lot. How do you think it would look with the primary inspection cover also in satin, and the derby cover in a gloss black powder?
I was mulling over what to do with the inspection cover ... since I'm running a belt drive, I was thinking I need to vent more air into the primary case ... so, was thinking about leaving it open ....

But, it doesn't look that great with the bosses for the inspection cover fasteners ... I suppose I could use a cut-off wheel, grinder or dremel tool to smooth out the hole ....

There are a few inspection covers with venting I could use ... but, I would rather go with a low-cost solution ....

Originally Posted by JRK5892
i like it alot... i would agree that the black would play in... Todd i think i have a gloss black derby cover... i can look... if i do ill just swap ya how does that sound... shoot me a PM tomorrow and ill look in the shop while there (you pay shipping and send me yours you can have it)
I'll have to mull it over ... not sure if I'm feelin' the black concept .... I may eventually take you up on the offer ... let me know if you find the one you think you might have lying around ....

Originally Posted by A1ACruiser
Very Interesting! Hmmmmmmm
I don't know what took me so long ... it was so easy and didn't take long at all ....

Only thing that would make it more of a pain-in-the-**** would be for guys with stock primary chain drive and oil-filled case ... draining the primary case and refilling it after you were finished ....

That kind of came into play for me with the cam cover ... lost a few teaspoons of oil that collect in the bottom of the cam chest and made a little bit of a mess to clean up ....

Originally Posted by hailguy138
how did u sand it?
By hand ... just used two or three different grits that I had on hand ... 80 - 150 -320 ... spent about an hour to an hour-and-a-half each dressing up the surface ....

R/
'Chop

Old 04-01-2011, 07:28 PM
hailguy138
Intermediate

an hour with each grit? did u goin on direction the hole time, or a random pattern?

Old 04-01-2011, 07:29 PM
drjones
Cruiser

I really like the satin look, much better than polished. It should be very easy to maintain too. You did a nice informative write up also. Thank you and ride safe. TJ

Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hailguy138
an hour with each grit? did u goin on direction the hole time, or a random pattern?
I am just 'guess-timating' the time spent ... but, all in, I couldn't have spent more than about an hour-and-a-half on the primary and the same for the cam cover ....

As much as possible I tried to follow the contour of the piece ....

Old 04-01-2011, 10:38 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I like it. That stripper works pretty good!

Old 04-21-2012, 11:42 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Posted a few recent photos on another thread and the primary and cam covers seemed a little shinier and brighter ... I think that hitting them a few times with 00 steel wool and simichrome polish since I did the 'satin' effect has made the surfaces more polished ... snagged a couple photos on my iPod to post ... not the best photos, but in person it is pretty noticeable ...

Attached Thumbnails Satin primary cover-img_0201.jpg   Satin primary cover-img_0202.jpg   Satin primary cover-img_0156.jpg  
Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 AM
mazetto
Intermediate

Very cool. Nice work.