Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a Lowrider fender fit a Fatbob

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Jonn2002
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will a Lowrider fender fit a Fatbob

Hi Guys,

I am looking for information on how to fit a Lowrider fender to my Fatbob. I know a lot of guys are fitting the '10 Wide Glide fender (it looks easy, and the fitment is perfect) but I really like the look of a more wraped fender like the Lowrider.

There is a post with a forum member that did this, but there is no info on wether it just bolts on, or if I am going to have to split the fender to add an inch.

Thank you for your input and help. John

Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,112 Likes on 2,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonn2002
Hi Guys,

I am looking for information on how to fit a Lowrider fender to my Fatbob. I know a lot of guys are fitting the '10 Wide Glide fender (it looks easy, and the fitment is perfect) but I really like the look of a more wraped fender like the Lowrider.

There is a post with a forum member that did this, but there is no info on wether it just bolts on, or if I am going to have to split the fender to add an inch.

Thank you for your input and help. John
go ahead and do it Jonn.

at the very worst you split it and add some width.

in 2008 I measured and come up with same width between struts.
butt I was called out as being wrong on the measuring.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:55 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Worst case scenario is you have to use thicker spacers between the fender and struts - there's plenty of room for the tire.........I just fitted this 6" FB wheel with a 200 under my FXDC - pretty sure they are the same as the LR fender.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Jonn2002
Cruiser

I am pretty sure I will have to use spacers at the very least. I dont really want to split it since I dont have a shop since I moved to San Jose and would have to farm out the work and would rather spend my money elsewere.

I was hoping to see some examples of others work to see how the end product looks.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:13 PM
mud
muderator

what's the measurement between your struts??

Old 03-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Jonn2002
Cruiser

Measurements at the rear of the fender (its on the bike and its the only place I can get the tape on it without the tire in the way)

The OD of the fender is 8 7/8" The stuts are dead on at a 9" ID gap between them.

Let me know if I need to clarifiy.

John

Old 03-27-2011, 08:44 PM
mud
muderator

Originally Posted by Jonn2002
Measurements at the rear of the fender (its on the bike and its the only place I can get the tape on it without the tire in the way)

The OD of the fender is 8 7/8" The stuts are dead on at a 9" ID gap between them.

Let me know if I need to clarifiy.

John
on my 006 FXD the fender is 8 1/2" at the rear

at the front mounting point - 9"

keep in mind the fender will stretch out

sounds like you may not even need anything more than the stock spacers.

butt, also need measurement between strut mounting points (front to back)

Old 03-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Jonn2002
Cruiser

I am sure I will have to change the struts to model of fender I select. IE..Lowrider fender = Lowrider stuts.

The Fatbob struts are way to long. What do I need to know to figure out if the Lowrider struts will fit?

John

Old 03-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Jonn2002
Cruiser

The number one reason I want to go with a lowrider or perhaps a standard Street bob fender is the way it looks after it is set up to accept detachable bags. Since I like to run with bags as much as I like to not, a detachable setup is the way the go.

The '10 wide glide fender looks silly to me when you move the turn signals to the rear and back of the fender. (Almost looks like bright red ears too high on someones head.) The Lowrider fender gives me the option to move to a single all in one turn, stop, tail light that looks nice and clean when installed.

FYI, since I dont want my Harley to look like a dirtbike, I wonder how it will all fit once I lower this bike with some 11" progressive HD shocks.

I am hoping these thoughts will help you guys with your responses and advice as I begin to move forward with this project.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:56 AM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea, an inch is what you need.
I don't know if I'm the guy you're referring to but I did the 'split a fender' thing in 2009. The cost of the materials alone exceeds the price of the new WG fender and there’s no other 'direct bolt-on fender' in the Dyna family for the Fat Bob.

There are better ways to accomplish your goal.

The best way (i.m.o.) would be to get a 9” wide blank fender with no holes. You could mock it up as you needed/wanted with the shocks you plan to use.
That would allow you to set the fender a little ‘higher’ on the struts for a more assured clearance between the top of the tire & bottom of the fender (the Heavy Duty shocks with their 'stiffer' ride wouldn't be necessary).
Just keep in mind that because the seat mounts to the fender… the raised fender will move the seat towards the tank so make sure to include it in the mock up process. Once you have those two steps finished you could move to the fitment of the tail light, signals & license plate and arrange them how ever you like.

Speaking of struts on the Fat Bob, as to their length they are the same as all the other Dyna’s... that’s also true of the bolt pattern, i.e. the distance between the mounting holes. The only difference is width. So any stock Dyna fender will 'bolt directly' to the Fat Bob struts.
If you go the stock full length Dyna fender route I’d suggest trying the ‘stretch’ method… which should work. If not add the spacers as needed.

Last edited by 08fxdf43202; 03-28-2011 at 07:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Will a Lowrider fender fit a Fatbob