Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ballistic Batteries... anyone tried them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:53 PM
El Chiguete
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ballistic Batteries... anyone tried them?

http://www.ballisticparts.com/

This is something VERY cool that I think someone should take a look in to it!

Old 03-27-2011, 06:48 AM
ged533
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just ordered one of these 11lbs lighter than stock battery.backordered until mid april.good reviews.great way to loseweight
http://www.shoraipower.com/t-shorai-dealers.aspx

Old 03-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Shred4204
Cruiser

interesting...but with a computer there is a constant draw?..not to mention alarm?..read this..

Does the BALLISTIC PERFORMANCE COMPONENT Battery work well with a constant draw?
The current product has been designed and developed as a starter battery in a powersports application. If there is a parasitic draw on your powersports vehicle (such as an alarm) we recommend that you disconnect the battery when not in use. If the battery is completely drained the cells can be damaged.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:31 AM
El Chiguete
Road Master

Originally Posted by Shred4204
interesting...but with a computer there is a constant draw?..not to mention alarm?..read this..

Does the BALLISTIC PERFORMANCE COMPONENT Battery work well with a constant draw?
The current product has been designed and developed as a starter battery in a powersports application. If there is a parasitic draw on your powersports vehicle (such as an alarm) we recommend that you disconnect the battery when not in use. If the battery is completely drained the cells can be damaged.
I didn't see that, but then again I don't have an alarm on mine

Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 PM
teester
Intermediate
Default Tried Shorai and Ballistic - FAIL

I have a factory 96 engine in my '09 FLHTCU. It has an alarm and upgraded sound system. I tried the largest size Shorai and it was weaker than my nearly dead factory battery, complained and got a refund from Shorai. Shorai said I needed to use it a while and it would improve after several cycles. Sorry but it should be ready to go out of the box IMO.

Ordered the ballistic 16 cell in September '11. It too failed to live up to the specs and also was about as weak as my nearly dead lead battery. Installed it after making sure it was fully charged, following specs of max charge voltage as well.

Started it up and it too struggled. My sound system volume is screaming loud when the battery is too weak to start! I rode it anyway thinking it would improve after a few weeks of use. Parked it and after about two weeks or so, tried to crank it and it still struggled. Took it out and charged it and noticed the voltage was dropping. Now after a few months its' still discharging and I'm looking to get a refund on it as well.

Just bought a new Harley battery recently and it works like a charm.

One thing to note
, Ballistic has since came out with a new 16 cell battery that is labeled "HD" but the CCA is still rated at 500, something the original one I doubt ever saw! The rating for equivalent lead battery Ah is also the same. The only difference I can see is the package is different, definitely larger but I'm still gun shy now!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:34 PM
wheel752
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The info here couldn't be collected in a lifetime. This forum can't be beat. Anybody using the 16 cell? Just bought a new AGM battery yesterday. Did look at the lithium ones. Spendy, butt.. would be nice

Old 04-18-2012, 01:01 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Heads up fellas ... if you're installing a battery with higher amperage (CCA = cold cranking amps) you will need to install heavier gauge battery terminal wires ... else you could overheat them and fry something ....

I got a Big Boar battery a little over a year ago ... with 350 CCA vice stock 275 CCA ... I upgraded my cables ...

I had previously replaced my stator, rotor and voltage regulator and refreshed my starter with a rebuild kit ... I use manual compression releases and still find that the thing seems weak when cranking ... if my bike doesn't hit off in the first two or three tries there is not enough juice left ... I generally coast / bump start it and ride for a while to get the charge back up ...

I am not getting any charging faults ... I am aware that the increased compression and the higher primary ratio and starter gear ratio are to blame for the added load on the starter ... but, I just thought the added cranking amps would get me there ... (it does ... for the most part) ... still thinking about upgrading the stock starter to an 'all *****' or other higher kW starter ... but, have heard that they just eat up the battery sooner ...

Didn't mean to hijack the thread ... do not have any personal experience with Ballistic Batteries ...

R/
'Chop

Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 AM
teester
Intermediate

Wheel, I have the EVO2 16 cell, largest they made at the time. If they won't refund I may see if they'll upgrade me to the HD version for free since it didn't work as advertised.

I have lithium batteries in an S10 I converted to electric and they are far superior to lead batteries or AGM but to do so you have to use the right cells for the job. I just think Shorai and Ballistic are using cells too small for the job.

I put a meter on my bike and it pulled about 380 amps when starting. The largest Shorai was rated I think at 385 and the ballistic at 500. 500 amps should easily crank the engine. Instead of a burst of power like the original battery with a quick start I get a long drawn out turnover as you would expect from a weak battery.

My bike will normally start in about 1 second. With these guys it takes about 3 struggling seconds.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:59 AM
El Chiguete
Road Master

Well now we have to see if someone tries out there new HD models.

But maybe on an older evo that doesnt have that much constat draw it could work ok.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:42 PM
sal537
Intermediate

I bought one of these, biggest one, it s a 225$ paperweight. Have to try 3 or 4 times before it has enough guts to start bike. Saw a video that shows it gets stronger after a few try's . Would think your gonna go thru a starter like that. 500 cvs my ***. Put my stock Harley one back in and no problem. Thought the lighter thing would be good.

Quick Reply: Ballistic Batteries... anyone tried them?