Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you know about pipe wraps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:40 AM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 839 Likes on 378 Posts

Pro's : None

Con's : Everything

Have em ceramic coated inside and out, or use heatshields. The wrap is a fashion statement I know and plenty of dudes think it's high fashion and a "bobber" neccessity to have it. Truth is it sucks, looks cheap and does more harm than good. Sure a handful of people have had okay luck with it and haven't seen pipe failures but that doesn't negate the fact that way more people have had failures and not just on motorcycles. There's a reason manufacturers don't just sell their pipes already wrapped. Good pipes are heat shielded, great pipes are ceramic coated and some do both. Think before you do.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Eco
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my thunderheaders. I bought the 50' roll of wrap and cut it in half, one 20' and one 30' for the two legs of pipe. I sanded the pipe down and painted it with heat paint. then I wrapped the short end first then the long. Don't wrap to within an inch of the exhaust ports as you will have difficulty getting a nut on the studs. After I let the wrap dry for a day (you soak the wrap) I used up the other half of the can of black heat paint on the wrap, which soaks it up nicely and helps it bind together, then reinstall the exhaust. I had maybe three feet on one length and four on the other left over, which is fine as you tie it to something solid as you wrap the pipe.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:38 PM
ed gien
Tourer

Pros- not having your leg burned

cons-who gives a ****, if you cant afford to replace your pipes after 5 years? You shouldnt have a bike!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is from a website I did for a guy that built headers for cars from daily drivers to Pro Stock Dragsters, Tom Dawson...

"Another issue to be addressed is the use of heat insulating wraps. We strongly discourage the use of these wraps on anything but drag race headers. These wraps hold in too much heat and over a period of time will literally 'cook' the carbon out of the steel, causing it to break down and disinigrate."

While sometimes I love the look of wraps, for this reason I don't use them. The man could pull more information about exhausts systems off the top of his head in his sleep than I ever could.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:10 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Assuming you're talking about a street bike, wrapping your pipes is going to do nothing for the performance. But if you like the look, go for it.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Dynafrom818
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow...looks like I asked a very debatable question. Now I'm really confused lol.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 845 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynafrom818
Wow...looks like I asked a very debatable question. Now I'm really confused lol.

Oh that's nothing....try asking people which oil is best or...better still...which is the best carby to use!

Old 03-25-2011, 03:45 PM
nivram39
Advanced
Default Gearhead

My Vance & Hines heat shields fell off due to little welds. Then I got some high heat black paint at Discount auto and, , , wamba. Nice look'in black pipes. I did it two years ago. Never had any problems. Give it a try. Keep the rubber down and the crome up!

Old 03-25-2011, 03:53 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 839 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Oh that's nothing....try asking people which oil is best or...better still...which is the best carby to use!
or which cams, which shocks, which grips, which bandanna..each topic as hotly debated as the next. and to the guy saying if you can't afford new pipes every 5 yrs maybe you shouldn't own a bike....possibly the lamest reply ever? I didn't know pipes were a wear item like tires, belts, brakes and chains that had a replacement timeline. Aside from finding something you like better or performs better what reason is there to buy new exhaust every 5 yrs??? Well unless you are wrapping them and ruining them of course

Old 03-25-2011, 05:40 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine are wrapped...no issues so far. I don't think it's a horsepower boost (not a noticeable one anyway) but it looks kickass.

Quick Reply: What do you know about pipe wraps?